Light Grey Art Lab's Cosmos Tarot and Oracle Set

rwcarter

You have to use your nails to pry the bottom half out from the lid, using enough strength to slide it out while at the same time being gentle so that the cards don't go flying everywhere once the lid pops off. It's not a huge pain to deal with but it does make me wish for one of those boxes with the magnetic lids. Ah well!
I finally realized what the problem is - the lid is taller than the bottom, so the bottom completely nests in it. If they'd made the lid even 1/8" shorter, the bottom would stick out and you could grab it while pulling the lid off.

Walrus

I finally realized what the problem is - the lid is taller than the bottom, so the bottom completely nests in it. If they'd made the lid even 1/8" shorter, the bottom would stick out and you could grab it while pulling the lid off.

Good observation! I'll try layering something between the lid and the tray next time so that they're easier to seperate.

Annabelle

My set arrived yesterday.

I agree about the box; it is a challenge to get the lid off!

But box aside, this is a jaw-dropping, STUNNING deck.

I don't even know how to put it into words, really. The art is so skilled, the gilding is perfect . . . I'm just floored by this deck. Floored. Blown away. I could spend hours upon hours lost in these cards. I haven't yet tried a reading, but hope to do so soon.

earthair

Did UK people have to pay customs charges? Mine is delayed...this is not usually a good sign!

treelet

Mine arrived yesterday and I sat with it for a few hours, reading the book and plugging cards into old readings and seeing how it flows together. It is very readable given the keywords, though only some of the images were crafted to be read intuitively beyond the matter of simply learning new definitions. Quite a number of images are very meditative, I've found. It is certainly a new system unto itself.

I noticed aspects/meanings of certain cards that are familiar from the RWS but were given new numbers or split among a couple of cards. No worries on anything in this deck being sugar-coated; the majority of it was neutral to "negative", rather than overtly positive with all the general themes of tarot -- change, transformation, personal revolution -- intact. The majors are more familiar in meaning and construction, though of course their astrological and elemental symbolism is different. The courts don't seem to be "people cards" anymore and I can't discern any system behind linear study of the aces, deuces, treys, quads, etc, but feel free to correct me if I missed something.

The production is, as has been mentioned, absolutely stellar. The gilding, printing, and art is superb. If one is looking for a great tactile gallery of contemporary art and illustration this is a marvelous bargain.

RavenLuna

Did UK people have to pay customs charges? Mine is delayed...this is not usually a good sign!
I'm in the UK, but haven't heard anything yet :/

ldiddy

I received my deck yesterday and will echo what many have already said... the artwork and production (aside from the box top) are very top notch. I love the backs, the guilding, the box, the book, all are just lovely.

However, as a Tarot, it could not have fallen any more flat for me. The symbolism and meanings much more tied to the constellations than traditional tarot. Keywords certainly help but many are not linked to meanings I have learned in my ~8 months as a tarot student. For example, IX The Hermit, shows a gal sitting on a giant Egyptian looking dog (statue maybe) holding a cup. The keywords are "The Chase" and "Pursuit without fatigue". The constellation is Canis Major. So the symbols on the card line up with the constellation (duh) but not so much my understanding of Tarot.

I certainly do not regret the purchase one iota. This deck definitely has some things to teach me and I have zero problem looking at the beautiful cards to learn.

Scarlet Woodland

Finally caved and just went for it. Some cards that I know will throw me but fingers crossed I at least get a laugh out of them :D Was trying to hold off until I was sure I'd be able to read with it but the four of cups/CANES VENATICI did for me in the end; just too gorgeous to go without it.

It passed the ultimate test for me, which is simply that all the images make me FEEL something... even if it is the urge to giggle in some cases.

earthair

I'm in the UK, but haven't heard anything yet :/

Tracking info for mine still saying it's arrived at local delivery office, but it seems to be not moving from there to my house- which is only half a mile away! :joke:

RavenLuna

Tracking info for mine still saying it's arrived at local delivery office, but it seems to be not moving from there to my house- which is only half a mile away! :joke:
Thanks for mentioning tracking! I figured out that they sent the email to an old email address, so I looked it up and it's left London. Surely we won't have long to wait :D