Collaborative Spread Creation #1 - Double Arch of Insight

rwcarter

This thread got me and others thinking about a spread to use to answer the question, "What can I do for X at this point in their life?" I've given some thought to positions that could be covered in the spread, but thought it might be a worthwhile exercise to create the spread publicly and collaboratively as a way of showing people the process of spread creation for those who want to create their own spreads but either don't know where to begin or think it's too hard.

So far these are the positions (in no particular order) that we've come up with as a group. (They might not all make it into the final spread):
- the situation X currently finds themselves in/where X currently is in their life
- the public face X puts on about the situation/where they are in their life
- how X privately feels about the situation/where they are in their life
- what you should know about X's situation/where X is in their life
- what you can do to help X
- how you should approach X with your new knowledge
- X's short-term reaction to your help
- X's long-term reaction to your help
- what you shouldn't do or say because it may make the situation worse
- Querent's motive for wanting to get involved
- what Querent's role should be in the situation
- why Querent should play that role
- what role X expects Querent to play in the situation
- current energy between X and Querent
- what X brings to the relationship
- what Querent brings to the relationship

Once the positions have been settled upon, then figuring out the layout can begin.

And we'll also need a name for the spread.

Rodney

firecatpickles

Seems like these three questions:

• the situation X currently finds themselves in/where X currently is in their life
  • how X privately feels about the situation/where they are in their life
  • what you should know about X's situation/where X is in their life

...are not only the things that are hidden, or even "secret," but also provide the basis for the reading and should be at the bottom of the spread. I would think that these cards would be the last three cards drawn from the deck.

rwcarter

Kilted Kat said:
Seems like these three questions:

• the situation X currently finds themselves in/where X currently is in their life
  • how X privately feels about the situation/where they are in their life
  • what you should know about X's situation/where X is in their life

...are not only the things that are hidden, or even "secret," but also provide the basis for the reading and should be at the bottom of the spread. I would think that these cards would be the last three cards drawn from the deck.
It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list by any means. If you think there are other hidden things that should be addressed, please post them. (That's why this is a collaborative effort.)

I understand those three being the basis of the reading and placing them at the bottom of the spread. I tend to build out from the foundation or basis (see your WTF spread thread), so would lay those cards out first. But that might be one of those preference things.

Thanks for providing your suggestions!

Rodney

Glass Owl

I always seem to really benefit from getting a head's up on what is or would make things worse, another words some direction on what I shouldn't be doing or how I shouldn't approach someone.

BTW, I love what you have so far.

rwcarter

Thanks Glass Owl. Especially in touchy situations, it's quite easy to make things worse by the things we say or do, so that's a great addition.

I will accumulate all suggestions for positions in my first post to make it easier to keep track of where we are.

Rodney

Lilija

I'm mulling over a situation exactly like this (I even asked about it in a reading exchange here).

One thing that may belong here is a card showing your own personal motivations for getting involved, because even though most of us have a mind towards helping, we need to examine why. My mother comes to mind, with all her self righteous unwarranted suggestions, and advice, so it's something I examine thoroughly, in myself. I don't know if it's a card that would work in a universal spread, but it's one I'd add in for myself.

I'd also probably split the cards into columns for the questions directly involving the person, and then the questions involving myself.

I might actually go use this spread now, as is, to help me with my own situation, if that's ok with you.

rwcarter

Lilija said:
I might actually go use this spread now, as is, to help me with my own situation, if that's ok with you.
Thanks for the suggestion for a position. I'll add it in.

>> I << think the spread is a work in progress. But if >> you << think it's ready for prime time, then by all means use it. And let us know how/if it works for you.

Rodney

Lilija

In a nutshell, whoa.

So far, it's very good, it asks the right questions, and comes up with a very deep and dimensional perspective of your role, in helping other people. I can see myself using this a LOT.

You know when sometimes, you go into a reading kind of half expecting what cards will show up? In this case, the cards blew my mind, and came up that I really have no idea what I'm getting into and I'm very much buying into a false picture of what X is presenting to the world. Without getting into much detail here on the spread board, I didn't even expect that sort of stuff to come into light.

Very effective, to say the least.

Glass Owl

Lilija said:
In this case, the cards blew my mind, and came up that I really have no idea what I'm getting into and I'm very much buying into a false picture of what X is presenting to the world.
And that's precisely why it can be so difficult to help someone, at least for me. There are usually so many layers to what is going on. Often times there are things that people are either consciously or unconsciously avoiding or hiding. Plus, there is our own interpretations of what we *think* other person is projecting, including what we believe our friend wants, needs, believes, feels, etc.

In addition, I often find myself asking "What is my role in X's life?" What *should* it be? What does X think or expect it to be? Those type of things can sometimes be difficult to answer, maybe because life is always evolving, people are changing.

rwcarter

Lilija,

Since you have direct experience using the spread as it currently stands, are there any additional positions you wish were there?

Also, what layout did you use? If we're done with positions, layout is next. And we still have to work on a name.

Rodney