Runes

Emily

I sort of got sidetracked while looking for a set of Rune stones and happened to find the Aquarian Rune Cards. I couldn't find that much out about them but I got them very cheap because the box, was according to the seller, very tatty. The box and cards look old, but they feel really nice in the hand, the cards are perfect. They came this morning with my soapstone runes :)

Until I get some scans in the only pics I could find of the cards are here:-

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/a-decks/aquarianrunecards.gif

They look pretty basic compared to some of the rune cards but I like them.

The soapstone runes are pretty nice too.

Gypsyspell

Also, while im at it, Shadowdancer recommended Cassandra Eastons Runes for todays Woman-I have this book too and 2nd that it is a really good starting point to inspire interest and understanding of runes-Her style really does reflect Runes for modern times,she has a down to earth approach and a sense of humour, not heavy study ,also encourages the reader to explore and develop own meaning. I think worth trying to get a hold of if possible.....

Wendywu

Emily said:
I sort of got sidetracked while looking for a set of Rune stones and happened to find the Aquarian Rune Cards.

Now these really appeal to me - I will have a scout about - thanks :)

Wendywu

I just today got the Rune Vision Cards by Sylvia Gainsford & Howard Rodway. I think I found my perfect rune cards :heart: Each card has a rune incorporated into a picture of a God whose story illustrates that rune - excellent!

Emily

Gypsyspell said:
Also, while im at it, Shadowdancer recommended Cassandra Eastons Runes for todays Woman-I have this book too and 2nd that it is a really good starting point to inspire interest and understanding of runes-Her style really does reflect Runes for modern times,she has a down to earth approach and a sense of humour, not heavy study ,also encourages the reader to explore and develop own meaning. I think worth trying to get a hold of if possible.....

I saw this book recommended too and have ordered it from an Amazon marketplace seller, I try to get all my books used now, saves a little money - I found her website and really like her style so I'm eagerly awaiting the book now. :)

lark

Emily said:
I saw this book recommended too and have ordered it from an Amazon marketplace seller, I try to get all my books used now, saves a little money - I found her website and really like her style so I'm eagerly awaiting the book now. :)
I just got that book too Emily, paid 45 cents for it from an Amazon seller...started reading it last night.
Yes, you sure can save a lot of money that way.

silverwings94

I saw this posted also and ordered it from Amazon. I can't wait to get it and read it.
Anyone know where I can find Soapstone runes? I tried doing a search and came up empty handed.
Kat
lark said:
I just got that book too Emily, paid 45 cents for it from an Amazon seller...started reading it last night.
Yes, you sure can save a lot of money that way.

Stormdancer

Aulruna said:
Well, Ralph Blum has sparked a lot of controversy amongst Rune practitioners with his historically unfounded introduction of the blank Rune.

So much of his writing is to be taken with a grain of salt. For example, his companion book to the cards links the Runes with the Native American Medicine Wheel ... hmmm. It is my personal belief that the Runes need to be studied and interpreted in context, they are less the "whatever you feel is right" type of divination tools.
All that being said, the cards are very executed and very readable, too.

Among my favourite are these two decks:

Power of the Runes by Voenix, interpreting the Runes in a context of Germanic mythology, and the more abstract, but hauntingly beautiful Haindl Rune ORacle (sadly out of print).

I am SO looking foward to your class at RS10, but I know NOTHING of runes..are both of your sets above geared towards newbies? I didn't even know there were "more than one" kind...german...anglo-saxon...celtic? I really want to take your class, but I need some help here. I do like the idea of the card portraying the meaning....UM....help???

Emily

silverwings94 said:
I saw this posted also and ordered it from Amazon. I can't wait to get it and read it.
Anyone know where I can find Soapstone runes? I tried doing a search and came up empty handed.
Kat

I got my soapstone runes off Amazon - I do like them but they are taking a little getting used to. They are tear drop shaped and flat on one side.

I was doing my rune readings, with my other square runes, by just taking them out of the bag but with these I've found that I was being able to tell just from feeling in the bag which were reversed and upside down LOL - I do want to be able to read reversals with this set so I've changed how I pick them.

Spread them out over the table, face down - shuffle them around and with my eyes shut, pick my runes, as soon as my hand touches, I turn it face up on my casting cloth, but read it as it was picked - upright or reversed.

Sounds a bit of a muddle but its working for me - and these runes aren't very big so don't take up much space. They feel really nice to work with.

silverwings94

I didn't check there. I'' have to go there and see what I can find.
When I have runes that are the same size and shape what I do is lay them on the table face down shuffle with my hands and then with mynon-dominate hand ,hold it over the runes and move my hand over the top of them and when I feel a tingling I pick up the rune that is under the finger that tingles the most.
Reading have been quite accurate this way. I have 3 sets of different runes that were carved out of abalone shells so all their shapes are quite different. Right now they are my most treasures Runes. I am looking for pewter one andthe soapstone one. I also made a set with wooden stars and burned the symbols on the star. They work really well also.
Thanks,
Kat
Emily said:
I got my soapstone runes off Amazon - I do like them but they are taking a little getting used to. They are tear drop shaped and flat on one side.

I was doing my rune readings, with my other square runes, by just taking them out of the bag but with these I've found that I was being able to tell just from feeling in the bag which were reversed and upside down LOL - I do want to be able to read reversals with this set so I've changed how I pick them.

Spread them out over the table, face down - shuffle them around and with my eyes shut, pick my runes, as soon as my hand touches, I turn it face up on my casting cloth, but read it as it was picked - upright or reversed.

Sounds a bit of a muddle but its working for me - and these runes aren't very big so don't take up much space. They feel really nice to work with.