Counterculture tarot is out

AJ

Bit of a limited view, I was there. :) and there were many viewpoints.
Chariot cracks me up
Heriophant reminds me of every trip to the PO here, Obama haters outside with soapbox and brochures, and we always exchange pleasantries. I say I love Obama, they fall back clutching their chests.

fyreflye

I expected to see another romanticized hippie deck but in fact, though as A J says the view is limited, this is a powerful record of that part of the '60's that Haigwood was around to photograph. The quotes are excellent and relevant, too.
What's noticeably missing is a key element - the music. If I had the rights to reprint whatever photos I chose Janis would be the Empress, Joni the High Priestess, Allen Ginsberg the Hierophant, Charles Manson the Devil, Jimi Hendrix the Prince of Fire and Wavy Gravy the Fool. But Haigwood was right on target with one card: Tim Leary was without question The Magician.

WyrdRaven

Another one who was there! I have only seen the sample cards, so perhaps I'm wrong, but I think "counterculture" is the wrong name for this deck. Perhaps "activist" or "protest movement" would be better, as this is a yippie rather than hippie perspective (not that these are mutually exclusive, but...), very political rather than cultural (although I can see the intertwining). The protest movement encompassed a wide variety of people, including teachers, clergy and working folks, so it was more inclusive than just counterculture. I do have a Sixties deck in my head, but it is having a hard time making its way onto paper.

trzes

Finally the counterculture tarot by William Haigwood has been published. I just ordered it. You can see all the cards and descriptions on his website (http://www.counterculturecreations.com/). Although Solandia rated it 5 stars there seems to have been little discussion here on ATF about this deck. I could only find one short thread (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=136339).

The deck does have a sort of narrow focus on it't theme (the 1960's protest movement in the USA), and I am not sure that it would be easily readable. But IMO it is a rather brilliant take on the theme, full of atmosphere, really good photos, well thought comments and (which is important for me) a very consistent style.

Other opinions or comments?

Carla

I have a fascination with this era and I really love this deck. I think it would be a nice thing just to have, even if you never read with it.

Richard

I was living in Berkeley CA through the crest of the counterculture movement. While I do not wish to relive the experience, I often look back on it with nostalgia. This could be an interesting deck.

Laura Borealis

Very interesting and it looks like they put a tremendous amount of research into their choices.
It's not a deck I would want, but one I can respect.

Tarotwolf

It's printed by Gamecrafters and I picked up a copy when it first came out. I really like the deck. It's black & white and designed from vintage photos (two things I enjoy in tarot decks). It's not a deck I would use for readings (although I'm sure you could); but I'm very happy to have it as part of my collection, just to look at and enjoy.

tarotbear

Fascinating ... unreadable, but fascinating ... :smoker: