Counterculture tarot is out

merissa_88

I've been looking forward to this one as I am around activists right now.

WyrdRaven

I would like it more for the nostalgia factor than its readability. Those years really were the Fool's Journey in so many ways. I'm looking forward to getting a copy of this deck.

tarotbear

I would like it more for the nostalgia factor than its readability. Those years really were the Fool's Journey in so many ways.

I agree, but using it I would have to explain who Tim Leary was, and what the images mean because as much as Querents are confused by people in tights and medieval floppy hats - much of the 60s imagery would make no sense - like trying to explain 'Yellow Submarine' to a present day 15 -year old. Ya hadda be there! :smoker:

VGimlet

I think I'm going to have to get a copy of this deck, for the collection if nothing else. I was born in the beginning of the 60's, so I have fond memories of the era, especially as I had a brother who was 14 years older. (Although my brother was the antithesis of the counter culture, LOL. US Marine, and then a cop.)

But still, it brings back a time when my personal career goals were 1. Hippie 2. Go-Go dancer and 3. CowBOY, as cowgirls had to stay at the ranch and cook instead of riding a horse on the range.

Zephyros

This is a fascinating deck; I went through all the cards yesterday but didn't post. I was struck by how apt and inspired many of the image choices were and the stories that went with them. It's not something I would buy, unfortunately, but only because my own tastes are somewhat specific. Barring that, however, this is a very original work, and I would definitely buy the book of extended essays.

I wasn't alive at the time, being born in '81, but it's rare I see something that manages to capture and convey the spirit of the times so candidly and emotionally.

Carla

being born in '81,

Oh man. You know I was watching a TV programme about Prince the other day, and they said, 'As "Purple Rain" approaches its 30th anniversary,' and I was like WHAT!

I missed it, too Closrapexa, being born in 1967. Wow. 81. ;)

EightWands

I expected to see another romanticized hippie deck but in fact, though as A J says the view is limited, this is a powerful record of that part of the '60's that Haigwood was around to photograph. The quotes are excellent and relevant, too.
What's noticeably missing is a key element - the music. If I had the rights to reprint whatever photos I chose Janis would be the Empress, Joni the High Priestess, Allen Ginsberg the Hierophant, Charles Manson the Devil, Jimi Hendrix the Prince of Fire and Wavy Gravy the Fool. But Haigwood was right on target with one card: Tim Leary was without question The Magician.

"Another romanticized hippie deck...". I have yet to find one. Can you name a few?

I'd love a deck that focuses on the Summer of Love. And yes... Janis as Empress! :)

EightWands

I do have a Sixties deck in my head, but it is having a hard time making its way onto paper.

A paisley or tie dye print for the back of the cards. :)