Vertigo 1st edition vs. Vertigo 2nd ed.

tarot heart

Hello all,

Is there anyone out there who could tell me if there is any difference between the cards of the first edition and cards of the 2nd edition? I know the packaging is quite different but other than that??????? Your help will be greatly appreciated :D

rwcarter

Bummer, I have 1st and 3rd, but not 1st and 2nd.

tarot heart

Bummer, I have 1st and 3rd, but not 1st and 2nd.

How many editions are there? The only ones I know of are the 1st with the sort of white square box and the 2nd (or it is the anniversary?) edition which comes in a brownish box?

rwcarter

How many editions are there? The only ones I know of are the 1st with the sort of white square box and the 2nd (or it is the anniversary?) edition which comes in a brownish box?

Oh, if that's the one you're talking about, I'm pretty sure that's the third edition of the deck. I had the second edition at one point, but traded it away. I may have details about that edition in an old version of my spreadsheet. I'll have to remember to check.

tarot heart

Oh, if that's the one you're talking about, I'm pretty sure that's the third edition of the deck. I had the second edition at one point, but traded it away. I may have details about that edition in an old version of my spreadsheet. I'll have to remember to check.

Hi Rodney...the first edition is in the white box 1995, the second in the brown box 2008. I'd just like to know if there's any difference in the cards. Thanks if you have time to check :heart:

Metafizzypop

I recall reading somewhere that the cards in the second edition are smaller than the cards in the first. I have the first edition, but not the second. In my deck, the cards measure 5 1/2 inches up and down, and 3 across. I don't know the specifics for the other editions(s) but the cards aren't supposed to be as big.

rwcarter

My current spreadsheet shows that the cards are the same size between the first and third editions. The only difference between the two sets is that the first edition has a hardcover book while the third edition has a softcover book. I list them as being 77 mm x 140 mm with the card stock being thinner.

tarot heart

I recall reading somewhere that the cards in the second edition are smaller than the cards in the first. I have the first edition, but not the second. In my deck, the cards measure 5 1/2 inches up and down, and 3 across. I don't know the specifics for the other editions(s) but the cards aren't supposed to be as big.

Thank you Metafizzypop! Now I have to go measure the cards in my second edition but I really think you're right, the first edition cards are larger. :)

tarot heart

My current spreadsheet shows that the cards are the same size between the first and third editions. The only difference between the two sets is that the first edition has a hardcover book while the third edition has a softcover book. I list them as being 77 mm x 140 mm with the card stock being thinner.

Hi Rodney! Oh, good to know the first edition has a hardcover. Not good though that they have thinner cardstock, hmmmm......Thank you for checking out the info in your spreadsheet.

Oddity

There's three editions that I know of: the big white box (ca 1995), the small brown box (ca 2001), and the reprint of the small brown box (ca 2008).

I have the second edition: brown box with a paperback companion book. No printing date, but book says copyright 1995 and the box says 2001. I got them in 2002, I think.

The cards measure 70 mm x 127 mm. I haven't compared them to any other edition, but judging from comments the reprint (third edition) apparently didn't have as good cardstock, plus some other problems. Can't remember exactly what it was, though.