Tarot of the Master (Vacchetta) - 7 of Wands

BrightEye

This card has always fascinated me with the different designs of the wands, especially the middle one with the golden hand, the hand of fate? It's enigmatic and dream-like to me.

The caption on the banner apparently translates as 'born from a single tree but with different destinies'. I guess the wands are all cut from a single piece of wood but serve different purposes. I see the hand of fate as a unifying, almost sanctifying symbol.

What are your thoughts on this card?

surpeti

I love--but don't own--this deck. BE could you possibly post a link or pic? My clumsy, amateurish internet search is not working for me today. Thanks! :livelong:

BrightEye

Here is a scan :)

surpeti

Thank you BE! Yes, that hand! Reaching up, as it were--to the O of Bastoni as if to catch the ring and pull itself up above the fray. Or: Yes, I volunteer for my fate. (Jung said free will is doing gladly that which I must do.)

I was intrigued with the balance of the upper pair--crozier and crutch, it's even alliterative (in English, anyway). How the ornateness of the crozier contrasts with the bone-like top of the crutch. It almost reminds me of a Death card, where all, even ecclesiastical authorities, are subject to death. And then...isn't one of the others a pen? The pointy tip on the bottom suggests that to me, though I don't understand the ball-thingy on the other end (ink?). And the one with the three spiked balls...it looks so graceful but suddenly I realized it could be a scourge. Hmm...

This is indeed a beautiful and artful way to represent the idea of destiny, including the quote you kindly translated. All the wands so different, yet in essence made of the same stuff.

Overall, the graceful slim curlicues swirling around the straightness of the wands is like the swirls of clouds or dreams. Seems fitting for the idea of (strong) destiny taking shape out of the mists of potential.

Interesting: at first I associated this image to 7 of CUPS in RWS with its idea of different choices/fates being presented, but here it's 7 of
WANDS.

Well, thanks for that opportunity to meditate on this lovely card. A bit of enabling--I moved the deck back up into my Amazon shopping cart where it had been languishing in "saved for later." (I shouldn't press "buy" right now, though.:bugeyed:)

BrightEye

Yes, some of these are weapons of sorts I think. And then there's the pen, and the bishop's staff as well. But the hand seems to unite them all, bring them together.

hopena

Yes, some of these are weapons of sorts I think. And then there's the pen, and the bishop's staff as well. But the hand seems to unite them all, bring them together.

The pen can be a weapon, as well. "The pen is mightier than the sword."

dancing_moon

I love this deck, and I think that these Wands may represent the different fates of people, all of them born from Adam and Eve, but all of them having unique and vastly different destinies to fulfill. Let's see if my list is of any use:

- the flail (?) with three spheres - for warriors
- the simple, unpolished stick - for peasants and menial laborers
- the crozier - for priests
- the scepter with a hand on the top - for the royalty and government (it actually reminds me the French Main de Justice scepter symbolizing the king's right to judge his people; it doesn't look exactly the same, but then Vacchetta probably wouldn't want to promote the French royalty by including an exact depiction)
- the crutch - for the poor, vagrants, outcasts
- ? (it could be an artist's or sculptor's tool, since I'm sure Vacchetta would like to have them as a separate destiny :D)
- the pen and ink - for writers, philosophers, scientists

hopena

So you would read all of the wands as weapons here?

I don't know. I didn't see a pen, but the seven of wands is usually a card of defense, is it not?