Deck for seasons

HearthCricket

Well, today I finally gave in and bought the Halloween Deck, today, to my utmost pleasure! I love it! What took me so long in getting this one? The slightly antique look to it, the softer oranges, the muted backs, the entire theme; it is exactly what I am looking for. I guess I thought it would be too cutsy-well, it is cute, and it is also very well done and has great RW meanings to it. What a clever deck! This simply made me want to pull out The Great Pumpkin DVD and maybe Hocus Pocus or Sleepy Hollow. Suddenly I am craving KitKat bars. I will definitely use this in October, and just about any time I am in the Halloween mood, which will be often as it is still my favourite holiday. And for any of you who love this deck, too, I highly recommend reading, just for fun, The Halloween Tree, by Ray Bradbury. I am a few months early, but hey..Trick or Treat? Treat!!

Cerulean

Oh, how fun, this sounds perfect...

...nostalgic in a fun way, it seems.

Cerulean

lunakasha

HearthCricket said:
I will definitely use this in October, and just about any time I am in the Halloween mood, which will be often as it is still my favourite holiday. And for any of you who love this deck, too, I highly recommend reading, just for fun, The Halloween Tree, by Ray Bradbury. I am a few months early, but hey..Trick or Treat? Treat!!

Hey HearthCricket!

Halloween is also my favorite holiday, and I LOVE autumn/fall more than any time of year....The Halloween Tree is a classic. I would love to see more Halloween/autumn decks....too bad they never came out with a "Sleepy Hollow" deck based on the movie.

I have the Halloween Tarot and it's OK, but a little too "cutesy" or cartoony for me. I would much prefer to see something a little darker....have you looked into the Gothic by Vargo??? Probably my favorite deck for that time of year (or anytime actually!)

Thanks to your recommendation (and Chronata's) I am going to reconsider the Sacred Rose....and look forward to more ideas in this thread.

:) Luna

HearthCricket

lunakasha said:
Hey HearthCricket!

Halloween is also my favorite holiday, and I LOVE autumn/fall more than any time of year....The Halloween Tree is a classic. I would love to see more Halloween/autumn decks....too bad they never came out with a "Sleepy Hollow" deck based on the movie.

I have the Halloween Tarot and it's OK, but a little too "cutesy" or cartoony for me. I would much prefer to see something a little darker....have you looked into the Gothic by Vargo??? Probably my favorite deck for that time of year (or anytime actually!)

Thanks to your recommendation (and Chronata's) I am going to reconsider the Sacred Rose....and look forward to more ideas in this thread.

I would love an entire Tim Burton deck...one with all his various movies-Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands. I do have the Vampire Tarot, by the same person who did the Fantastical, but not sure it is "me". I am still looking for something a little more dark, mystical or scary, but not icky or gross! No blood, no gore. Just dark. I still think a Pre-Raphaelite deck would work for me. The Victoria Regina is on order...that might also work. I will just have to keep my eye out for new releases-I am sure I will eventually find the perfect deck for a scary view on things, without a gross factor...but right now I am absolutely soaking up the Halloween Tarot and am thrilled to bits. I am going through a "cute" stage with collecting. Hanson Roberts, Whimsical, Alice in Wonderland...etc. So this fit right in!

lunakasha

HearthCricket said:
I would love an entire Tim Burton deck...one with all his various movies-Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands. I do have the Vampire Tarot, by the same person who did the Fantastical, but not sure it is "me". I am still looking for something a little more dark, mystical or scary, but not icky or gross! No blood, no gore. Just dark.

OMG....a Tim Burton tarot....combining those three movies would be AWESOME!!! :D:D:D Maybe we could get a bunch of people to start a massive email campaign to Mr. Burton....do ya think he's into tarot??? Maybe a Willy Wonka tarot would be fun too, hehehe!!! (Have you seen the Nightmare Before Christmas deck on ebay??? It is only a few cards and not very pretty but sells for ridiculous amounts of $$$). BTW I also love some of the "cutesy" decks you mentioned....just would like something dark and creepy for Halloween, like you!

If you haven't seen Vargo's Gothic yet, you should really check it out. It is dark and features lots of vampires but is not bloody/gory like the Tarot of Gothic Vampires....just a very beautiful, dark deck....a classic IMO.

Gothic Tarot by Joseph Vargo

fall_guy

How bizarre!
I also bought the Halloween tarot a few weeks ago and I'm halfway through reading 'The Halloween Tree' by Ray Bradbury. My card of the day is the King of Pumpkins (twice this week!).

I love the deck and it's subtle symbolism, but would love to see a deck in the style of a Tim Burton movie/animation incorporating Halloween icons. I'd create a deck myself, if I wasn't such a poor artist!

Sophie

The DruidCraft is a deck for All Seasons (literally depicted!). I can't say my pack has any blemishes, either. It's gorgeous. Summer is Wands, Autumn is Cups, Winter is solid pentacles and the lovely and delicate English spring is Swords.

The Tarot of Prague has a wonderful autumn/water feel to it - autumn not in the country but in a beautiful old city like Prague, with fine days, cool nights, slowly turning colours in the many trees of the city, in the orchard just under Strahov Monastery, in the clothes of the Prague-dwellers. Perhaps that feel I get from it comes from the autumnal quality of that ancient town? Because all four seasons are depicted on the cards, although not as systematically as in the DruidCraft.

But the one which is overwhelmingly autumnal in sensibility and look is The Tarot of the Secret Forest, Lo Scarabeo's ravishing and original offering of this year. A pack like no other I own, not only beautiful but wonderful to read with intuitively, and on both sides, too!

fall_guy

Helvetica said:
The DruidCraft is a deck for All Seasons (literally depicted!). I can't say my pack has any blemishes, either. It's gorgeous. Summer is Wands, Autumn is Cups, Winter is solid pentacles and the lovely and delicate English spring is Swords.

I'm not familiar with the DruidCraft deck, but I've always thought Wands/Spring, Cups/Summer, Pentacles/Autumn and Swords/Winter would be a more fitting order..?

Eco74

fall_guy said:
I'm not familiar with the DruidCraft deck, but I've always thought Wands/Spring, Cups/Summer, Pentacles/Autumn and Swords/Winter would be a more fitting order..?
That's the same ordering I'm most comfortable with.
Though there are differences in decks and areas of the world that make different suits more or less suited to a certain season.

The Swedish Witch is one of the decks that has the setup that you've described though it's only really clear in some of the cards.

Sophie

fall_guy said:
No, not necessarily. All you need to do is shift your point of view. I like decks that offer different points of view - that's the beauty of having many different decks and creators! If we stick to our zones of comfort and never step over the threshold, think of how many adventures in tarot we are missing...

Have a look at the DruidCraft swords/spring, and tell me if you don't fall in love with the utter delicacy and intricate rightness of these cards. The English spring is sharp, you know ;)