wondering about galactic center

prudence

Hi,

after reading a post by paradoxx mentioning black holes, I went looking for info about them....long story short, I came across a lot of info about the galactic center, which is at 26' 55" SAG, according to many of the sites I visited.

I am wondering if anyone here uses the galactic center when reading charts for people. I have read that since Dec. of this year, Pluto has been "passing across" this point ( sorry if I am using incorrect terminology here), and is causing some major changes/disruptions. I have been looking at my husband's natal chart for a while, and notice that his MC is at 26 degrees Cancer, and this year has seen some major changes/disruptions in regards to his career. (saturn in his 5th house trines his MC at 23 degrees Pisces, which also seems important in relation to this upheaval)

I have also seen many mentions of Pluto's status as a planet having a lot to do with it's nearness to and transit through the galactic center.

I welcome your thoughts on this subject, thanks.

http://www.horary.com/hhcrl/galact.html

stardancer

I've seen the GC, but I've never used it. Someone would need to study it further in order for me to consider it. As it stands now, there a lots of points already to use and I'm pretty set on using the old standards (and the three new/old standards, too). :D

Btw, that article said this... "Astronomers paid little attention to the discovery, but to the astrology of consciousness, this discovery should rank right up there with the discovery of Pluto in 1930."

I was LingOL. Not a very auspicious remark, oh well. I still use Pluto, though. ;)

star-lover

so what exactly is the gc supposed to represent in a birth chart? where the centre of our lives really resides?

the gc point falls right on my jupiter in 26 sagitarius in the 4th house
so I'm interested lol

Phoenix Rising

This is a great question Prudence...I too would be most interested to know. I always thought the Galactic centre, was where our universe and stars, planets were birthed from. And it is interesting that Pluto has some connection with it..I wonder why then, astronomers have decided to downgrade it? Something fishy going on there if you ask me.

prudence

http://www.horary.com/hhcrl/galact.html

Here is another link, in this one, Pluto's discovery and recent "demotion" are discussed.

I have googled "GC natal charts" and many variations on that theme, and have come across lots of ideas, but am not sure what it exactly means in one's birthchart. Maybe it really has no impact at all or one that is very minimal. Right now, the main theme seems to be transformation and upheaval. Those sites where it is being discussed do make it seem like an awfully big deal. I have also had a look at a few "famous" charts, to see what relation there may be to the GC...and any who may be going through a period of upheaval, someone like Tom Cruise may be an interesting chart.

Star-lover, I would have to think this is a major transit for you, having your jup right at 26 Sag like that, are there any aspects to your Jup?....I'd be open to just looking at any or all of our charts here, to see if we can see what's emerging as a pattern or whatever.

I will try to find and post some more useful links in the meantime. Thanks for replying, stardancer, star-lover, and Phoenix Rising. :)

http://taratarotweb.tripod.com/id26.html

~this link talks about the spiritual aspects of this occurence, and quotes Alex Miller-Mignone's book, The Black Hole Book, and some of the ideas presented in it. ( I am hoping to order the book from him, and am awaiting a reply)

Ross G Caldwell

I think if you're going to use purely astronomical discoveries like the Galactic Center, you have to be at least a sidereal astrologer.

Pluto is emphatically NOT currently transiting the GC. Pluto is actually 29 degrees Scorpio, almost 25 deg away from the GC in Sagittarius.

The question is, is there a "Tropical" GC? I think that is absurd.

The GC is something physically real, it is not the same thing as the Tropical Zodiac. I.e. the GC is in the real constellation of Sagittarius, not the Tropical sign of Sagittarius. So while Pluto might be in the Tropical Sagittarius, it is not transiting the real GC.

BTW, there are traditions about the Milky Way, which say that the soul enters by one sign (Gemini I believe) and exits by another (Sagittarius?), so this might be a way to think about the use of the galaxy in a chart. These traditions come from a time long before the telescope was invented, and before people knew there were other galaxies and a much bigger Universe.

rainwolf

I've always liked astronomy, but black holes have always fascinated me the most. With a diameter as that web page suggests, it is theoretically possible to venture into that black hole, even though it would take forever for the person to cross the event horizon, from the perspective of someone far away.

The author of that page mentioned some interesting things:
Solar arcs and transits to this spot in every chart bring up travel, educational, spiritual and philosophical themes in client discussions. One of the most devastating times for a client has been Solar Arc Pluto square the natal GC. A profound crises of faith and belief occurs almost every time.

Another very curious impact of personal planets in aspect to the GC is the "other worldly" psychological impact these aspects seem to create. Some clients with aspects to the GC speak of not feeling 100 percent human, or not feeling they have had human ancestory.

leephd

Of 20th c. Astronomical Discoveries

Ok. Here's the question. Yes, I would agree with posters who say that something like the galactic center should only be considered siderial to siderial. Of course, that's easy enough, as it's just a quick change in reference.

There has developed one group of astrologers who are calling themselves shamanistic who have gotten very interested in this - along with declination cycles, among other things. It's actually a very curious case of jumping over the whole astrological corpus and trying to envision how paleolithic peoples saw the sky. But no question: they didn't see the galactic center.

This group is claiming that 2006 is going to be a very pivotal year, because of the line-up of some of these declination cycles, with the transit of Pluto at the GC. The problem with all this is that (1) we don't actually know what these ancient peoples THOUGHT the interpretation of the declination cycles was, only that they appea to have been aware of them; and (2) we don't have any other historical data for past astrological events of this nature, and hence, what they might mean.

I think this is a really important caution: you cannot simply assume that you have a clue about what a configuraton means when you don't have the benefit of past observations.

prudence

Thanks Ross, rainwolf, and leephd, for explaining it a bit more....so, in asking this question, I am mixing up sidereal and tropical approaches? So, if one were to use blackholes in natal chart interps, they would need to have the chart in sidereal "format" (sorry if that is the incorrect phrase) in order to use blackholes? i.e. Alex Miller Mignone uses sidereal?

(very grateful, but still a little confused :)) [and by "little" I of course mean "enourmously"] :D

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Prudence,

prudence said:
Thanks Ross, rainwolf, and leephd, for explaining it a bit more....so, in asking this question, I am mixing up sidereal and tropical approaches? So, if one were to use blackholes in natal chart interps, they would need to have the chart in sidereal "format" (sorry if that is the incorrect phrase) in order to use blackholes? i.e. Alex Miller Mignone uses sidereal?

Sidereal means a few different things to astrologers, depending on their school, but they all have in common that the chart has taken into account precession, which refers to a wobble in the Earth's rotation that makes the Vernal Equinox point (and the whole ecliptic and starry sky with it) go "backwards" over a period of about 26,000 years.

The essential effect of taking a sidereal approach is, that "what you see is what you get" - if you went out and looked at the sky, the planet really is "in" the Zodiacal constellation corresponding to the Zodiac sign it is named for.

My own "system" (hardly more than a framework at this point) is only mine - I haven't studied any schools of sidereal astrology. I see astrology as "real" - real physical forces, some very strong (like the Sun and Moon) but most very subtle but persistent. All of these forces act to create a complex web of energy that affects everything in the solar system, including Earth and everything on it, to a greater or lesser degree. When we are born (which I define astrologically for a person as the first unaided breath, or for ideas and organizations the moment of the creation of that idea in the minds of the people making it) the character of that moment is "imprinted" in us. The quality of that energy should be modifed by various other more immediate forces of the same character, such as strong electricity (at least, that's what I would expect - I would love to study people born close to electrical generators or during thunderstorms, and perhaps those born close to the Earth's magnetic poles).

For me, the Zodiac constellations, for which the signs were named, are convenient ancient fictions that cannot possibly exert any force. The signs are essentially descriptions of Earth energy at the time the Zodiac was fixed - around 2000 years ago. This is the reason that the Tropical zodiac Sun-signs still seem so appropriate, at least in the northern hemisphere, even though the constellations they referred to all that time ago have precessed almost a complete sign. I.e. Leos still exhibit classical Leo traits, even though most of them are born with the Sun in sidereal Cancer. The answer is that the Earth season is still the same, and imprints its qualities the same way no matter where the Vernal Equinox point is.

This only works for the Sun sign of course, since it is the Sun which determines the seasons. The other planets, for me, are independent of the signs or constellations, and only their aspects should be considered.

For things like the galactic center, I can't see how one can make a tropical use of it, without believing that the Zodiac constellation is actually one of the real actors in the chart - which I don't think tropicalists believe.

That is, the galactic center is a real energy source in a real constellation, not in the fictional tropical zodiac - in my humble opinion. Sagittarius the constellation (sidereal) cannot give this reality to Sagittarius the sign (tropical) as it precesses. There is not a "virtual" galactic center that makes the rounds once every 26,000 years. That is, in my opinion, because the signs refer to earthly seasons, and can be held not to precess, but the galactic center, since it exerts a real force, cannot. The galactic center really precesses with the constellation Sagittarius, and exerts its force from there.

Thus while Pluto is in the tropical Sagittarius, it is not in the real Sagittarius, and is not therefore transiting the GC. Whatever force Pluto might be exerting, and whatever force the GC is exerting, are not in conjunction at this moment.

See - it is much easier to be a siderealist! ;)