Death followed by 10 of Swords

Bunnles

I was really troubled by this pairing as an alternate outcome of a reading.

I was using the Thoth deck and the 15 card spread (from the little white Thoth book) about money/career. The rest of the reading was really positive as was the outcome. A lot of disks - the ace the nine the ten ... it indicated things were moving in a good direction naturally.

Then in the "alternate outcome" (13, 9 5) I pulled:

10 of Swords (13), Death (9), Knight of Wands (5)

This combination startled me so much I forgot to note the rest of the spread.
I thought I read somewhere that Death does not usually mean a physical death but it can when followed by the 10 of swords.

So I was wondering if it was perhaps a warning to be careful of (K of W) a person? Moving too fast, rushing or some situation represented by the Knight that could bring physical danger or Death?

SarahRose

Hmm... since it was money/career - maybe some sort of inheritance?

Demon Goddess

Bunnles said:

I was using the Thoth deck and the 15 card spread (from the little white Thoth book) about money/career. The rest of the reading was really positive as was the outcome. A lot of disks - the ace the nine the ten ... it indicated things were moving in a good direction naturally.

I thought I read somewhere that Death does not usually mean a physical death but it can when followed by the 10 of swords.

So I was wondering if it was perhaps a warning to be careful of (K of W) a person? Moving too fast, rushing or some situation represented by the Knight that could bring physical danger or Death?

I don't know where anyone got this... a 9 of swords followed by a completing card might warn me of physical death, but the 10 followed by Death would be very hopeful to me. Read it as coming close to death but getting a new lease on life, long before I would see an actual death.

Of course, without the rest of the cards, this could be entirely meaningless and might simply mean the querant quits their job and goes off on a new career path. :D

Edited to add... I missed the question about the Knight... but if you felt it as a warning, I would certainly read it to mean not to rush into anything. But I would read it to mean that they were going to do it fast anyway.

sacredashes

Bunnles said:
...Then in the "alternate outcome" (13, 9 5) I pulled:

....This combination startled me so much I forgot to note the rest of the spread.....

...So I was wondering if it was perhaps a warning to be careful of (K of W) a person? Moving too fast, rushing or some situation represented by the Knight that could bring physical danger or Death?

Looking at the cards as is, I would read it as possible changes occuring; possibly all at once which may be over-whelming so yes, the Knight of Wands coming after the Death card maybe advice to tie up loose ends; cut losses; settle some of the existing commitments before venturing into new ones.

The Knight of Wands may also suggest that there are opportunities the querant wishes to venture into; however its up to the querant to assess if the timing is right (back to Death) as some things may have to be taken care of first.

I think you have awareness of the risks involved if you rush in or make rash decisions; indicated by the last sentence in your post. If this is the case, then it seems to me like its your intuition making sense of the cards here.

Ash

Eddie

Bunnles said:

Hi,
personally, I hate the 10 swords, it has for me been a pointer to some very disappointing and painful times.
It is important to also realize that as a 10, it will bring this situation with this king to a head and ultimately, complete change with the death card.
This 10 in a future position should always be view as a warning that something is not going to turn out quite how you think, or hope and although it will be disappointing for you, it will allow you to start again. Very often there will be things you can do before hand to make this future card less devastating, so important to view the warning.

As far as physical death is concerned, I never look for this in cards, it is never beneficial to know such things in advance. So I would never read them as such. Having said this, looking back, the 10 swords, and the Tower, have never been nice. The 10 has pointed to physical death, quite a few times, for me and some of my querents, but as this reading does have a specific title, money and finance, there is no reason to read this card as something as horrible as a physical death. Major changes and transformation, most deffinately!
Eddie

balenciaga

endings

looks like an end of a journey to me - death recedes; it is the water element and the background of the story. The fire and air cards are chasing each other - but the journey (KN W) comes to an end (10sw). Is there a business trip or some such journey (or a path you have chosen) that needs to be taken for your career? Looks as if this is not the path you should take because it looks like a "dead end" to me.

balenciaga

Maybe the reading I posted should be shifted to Your Readings - sorry, mods.:)

Bunnles

Ohh yeah .. sorry ... I wasn't sure which forum. I chose this one because I only had a part of the reading.

Bunnles

Demon Goddess said:
I don't know where anyone got this... a 9 of swords followed by a completing card might warn me of physical death, but the 10 followed by Death would be very hopeful to me. Read it as coming close to death but getting a new lease on life, long before I would see an actual death.

Yes I think that is what I read as well about the 9S followed by the 10S.

The 10S and Death, especially in the Crowley/Thoth deck are really unsettling to me. Death not so much because I know it means transformation. But 10S or "Ruin" is my absolute least favorite card in the deck.

The combination of the two just raised the hair on the back of my neck ;)

Bunnles

Eddie said:
Hi,
personally, I hate the 10 swords, it has for me been a pointer to some very disappointing and painful times.Eddie

Yes I really dread that card. It seems that the only positive side to it is that things can't get any worse ...

Eddie said:
It is important to also realize that as a 10, it will bring this situation with this king to a head and ultimately, complete change with the death card.
This 10 in a future position should always be view as a warning that something is not going to turn out quite how you think, or hope and although it will be disappointing for you, it will allow you to start again. Very often there will be things you can do before hand to make this future card less devastating, so important to view the warning.

I never know when to view court cards as people or the characteristics of the King/Knight/Queen etc ... The Kinght/King could represent a person to steer clear of in this case, or being hasty and applying too much pressure to a situation. I suppose if I was reading for another person it would be a good idea to give them both interps ... or did I read somewhere that Kings and Queens mean actual people?

Eddie said:
As far as physical death is concerned, I never look for this in cards, it is never beneficial to know such things in advance. So I would never read them as such. Having said this, looking back, the 10 swords, and the Tower, have never been nice. The 10 has pointed to physical death, quite a few times, for me and some of my querents, but as this reading does have a specific title, money and finance, there is no reason to read this card as something as horrible as a physical death. Major changes and transformation, most deffinately!
Eddie

At least the position is alternate outcome ... but to me there is definitely a warning that things may be heading to a favorable conclusion but there is a possibility for disaster should the querent (me) take the path represented by the Knight/King.

But physical death? Maybe not so much. Although I fall into the camp that would appreciate the warning should it come up.