Hebrew Alphabet & Tarot

Do you believe Tarot was originally based on the Hebrew alphabet?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 68 77.3%
  • It seems likely, even if unproven

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters

ravenest

Meh, picking on the poor non-native's bad English isn't fair :D

BTW that's why the human brain is such a hugely complex thing: because it is perfectly able to unravel all these ambiguities by applying some context information. Context rulez! No need to be afraid of a playful poll because of that.

I am happy to participate in every future poll. Well ok, mainly because I am strong-opinioned, even when it's only about whether I partly don't know or I really don't know.

No I am not picking on your 'bad English' (I doubt most would have noticed that and I never noticed your location under your avatar) .... I am trying to point out that the restrictive nature of polls (which seek a simplified expression and understanding ) is often flawed from the beginning . I am saying the original question is often flawed or phrased wrong and the answer choices are often loaded. And this is done by people whose first language is English ...and often what is written is less comprehensible than someone who has English as not their main language .

( I remember a Japanese guy here asking me to help him with an Australian government form as it didnt appear to make sense to him ... I read it and it didn't make sense to me either.)

Polls IMO are usually loaded towards a pre-existent opinion of the poll proposer.

gregory

Polls IMO are usually loaded towards a pre-existent opinion of the poll proposer.

I'd say always, with non-professionals. I used to work in market research, and - well, you're right. It's actually quite hard to be sure you cover the opinions that you don't actually quite get yourself.

trzes

No I am not picking on your 'bad English' (I doubt most would have noticed that and I never noticed your location under your avatar) .... I am trying to point out that the restrictive nature of polls (which seek a simplified expression and understanding ) is often flawed from the beginning . I am saying the original question is often flawed or phrased wrong and the answer choices are often loaded. And this is done by people whose first language is English ...and often what is written is less comprehensible than someone who has English as not their main language .

( I remember a Japanese guy here asking me to help him with an Australian government form as it didnt appear to make sense to him ... I read it and it didn't make sense to me either.)

No offense taken :) It sort of was my bad German anyway as a literal translation from correct German would have led my to "the Earth" straight away.

And I fully agree with you that polls are mostly biased in the way they are phrased and in their selection of possible answers (like the missing "unlikely" here).

Another (minor) issue with this poll is that IMO it emphasized differences that aren't all that important. The major thing is that tarot didn't have an esoteric tradition for the first 300 years. Even if the makers of the first Tarot decks should have had some kabbalistic ideas (possible) or if people occasionally used Marseille decks for divination (most likely) that doesn't make any relevant difference.