Minchiate Tower and the Expulsion from the Garden of Eden

kwaw

DoctorArcanus said:
I have noticed that the Tower in some Minchiate decks is similar to the painting of The Expulsion from the Garden of Eden, by Masaccio (Florence, 1426).

Is "La Maison Dieu" the Terrestrial Paradise?

Marco

Yes this has been noted beforem(the LS Classic Tarot for example gives this card the keyword exile); maison as exile or expulsion from eden would fit with its following the devil as the fall.

Expulsion from eden may be seen as the first act of judgement; and judgement, says the bible, begins with the house of god.

venicebard

kwaw said:
Expulsion from eden may be seen as the first act of judgement; and judgement, says the bible, begins with the house of god.
Yes, this symbolism resonates. For as bardic S (16), this trump corresponded to the one letter (U) in the Logos (AUM) that changed in sound to become the (Hebrew) mother letter shin (concurrent, no doubt, with the Fall); and its 'double', bardic SS (20), is indeed trump XX LeJugement. SS's proper numbering is only my surmise, since tradition only preserved numbers 0-16 of the bardic model; but assignment of 17-21 becomes perfectly clear once looked for, based on Graves's logical extension of 20-letter ogham to an original 22 (to include mistletoe, which I take to be Hebrew yod, though Graves identified yod with idho, I, the yew).