The Alternate Parallel Reality Oracle

Zedrex

Hi!

I am working on an oracle deck focussing on ideas gleaned from existential and postmodern philosophy.I am making it an oracle rather than a Tarot deck because one of my personal pet hates are tarot decks using a theme which doesn't match up with tarot; rather than make it feel clunky and gimmicky, I'd rather create something that works as what it is.

As I stated in an other thread here, what I've done is seek out an artist through fiverr.com which has literally hundreds of artists keen for a project like this. The one I've settled on uses a style which is modern, oconic and timeless which is what I'm going for with my project. I am focussing on concerns and ideas which are relevant to life in this century, but I also find a lot of "modern" tarot decks to feel pretty gimmicky as well. Rather than medieval imagery which is underwritten with medieval morality, I was looking for symbolism which would incorporate some of the ideas of life now - security, panopticism, identity, etc.

I found an easygoing artist who's excited to work on this too and I love his work - it perfectly matches what I'm going for and I am really enjoying the process of watching it come to life. Just thought I'd post a little sneak peek of a work in progress...

hmmm.... or would if I could. My apologies, as I believed that images could be posted here like they can in other forums.... and my own website is having issues (hackers :( ) at the moment so I can't use it. When I work something out, I'll put some images up here

Zedrex

OK I see we can display images if they're publicly hosted which I guess I can do

oubliette.jpg

sisyphus.jpg

AJ

Hey, I like the co-op results!

photo hosting sites are required unless you are a subscriber, then you can upload from your own computer photo files.

Laura Borealis

I love the artwork! And I really like the idea of an oracle rooted in postmodern thought. I look forward to seeing more of your ideas.

I don't much like the title bars though. The shiny gradient and kind of "90s web design graphic" feel is at odds with the art. I'd rather see a hand-drawn title banner and handwritten titles (or at least a good handwriting typeface).

Zedrex

Thanks so much!

And I couldn't agree more - I did that for these copies becaus my artist put his logo on them, and it's huge. He hasn't provided graphics without the watermark yet :/

Laura Borealis

I should have asked if you wanted that kind of feedback, I apologize. But I am glad to hear the title bar is temporary. :)

Zedrex

I am fine with that kind of feedback, thank you :)

If you look closely you'll see the logo peeking out of from behind the title bar!

Actually, I'm having discussions with the artist now, who's trying to charge me another 50% to remove his giant logo from each image - which will blow the whole project out of budget to a point where I can't do it. I don't feel good about this kind of extortion, so I might be back on the market for an artist again really soon