A New Marseilles Person Intro...

TemperanceAngel

SHOCK HORROR!!!! TA has purchased a Marseilles, it just got dropped off today and came all the way from Switzerland from the most passionate Marseilles person I know, Diana!

I consider my first Marseilles to be very special...one to treasure, it's a Conver.

Get a Hadar I hear you all cry!!!! But seriously, let me play with my new deck for awhile.

Great colors, LOVE the Minors.

Anyone else got a Conver?

What was your first Marseilles you purchased?

What's your fave Marseilles?

Does this mean I am a grown up Tarot person now? :joke:

Rusty Neon

Congratulations on your Conver. Which one did you buy?

Caution: Rant and Hadar-denabling follows. Those with sensitive ears, please skip the rest of this post. :)

Hey, don't peek. :)

The Hadar deck is a compendium deck rather than being a deck that follows one specific historical Marseille pattern. Hadar takes parts from the 1760 Conver, parts from the 1701 Dodal, adds roses where tulips, poppies or flowers of indeteminate identity used to be, adds swords or crowns or other flourishes where such don't exist in the historical exemplars, then calls it the "Véritable Tarot de Marseille". Each pattern, be it Conver or Dodal, has its special magic and mystery; why mix the patterns up, unless for novelty sake? If, later on, you're interested in getting a 20th century line-redrawing TdM, I suggest the Grimaud/Marteau Tarot de Marseille, the most faithful 20th century line-redrawing of the 1760 Conver pattern.

Shalott

Is it the Conver photoreproduction from Heron that I keep hearing so much raving about? ;)

My primary use Marseille (well, out of any these days) is the Hadar, for fairly practical reasons. As Rusty pointed out, his deck is kind of different from others that even I have managed to collect thus far!...BUT his website has an English mirror - making it easiest for me to learn his color scheme, etc, which again is slightly different from others. If Jodo's book were in English, I may have just as easily gone that route. Although I do have a Camoin, I just haven't gotten around to using it yet.

:D

(They have a miniature Grimaud at Tarot Garden, too. Itty bitty and tres cute...but not so small that I find it difficult to see stuff.)

TemperanceAngel

Rusty Neon said:
Congratulations on your Conver. Which one did you buy?
Lo Scarabeo, the LWB is in French which is great because I don't understand the French language and I never read LWB's anyway :)

TemperanceAngel

Oops, we must have been posting at the same time?
Shalott said:
Is it the Conver photoreproduction from Heron that I keep hearing so much raving about? ;)
I really have no idea, I know nothing about the Marseilles decks. But I do know I am going to have fun learning :)

Shalott

That it is!
Here's a link showing the Heron Conver from TarotGarden (which I don't have yet but soon!):
http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/dbsearchengine.php?search_type=blob&pageenter=0

(If it's somewhat faded and yellowing and shows every drop of Beaujolais ever dripped on it, it's probably a photoreproduction. Yet I've decided that I like them... :confused: )(The Dusserre ppl did a great job with the Dodal...)

Ooo yeah your above post that I must've been typing while you were says Lo Scarabeo...OK, never mind!

TemperanceAngel

Thanks for the link Shalott!

Fulgour

one of the best, in every way

TemperanceAngel said:
I consider my first Marseilles to be very special...
one to treasure, it's a Conver.
Mark Filipas writes:
From left to right, the decks shown are Heron’s Tarot de Marseille,
Camoin’s Bicentennial Tarot de Marseilles, Thunder Bay Press’ Marseilles
Tarot, and Lo Scarabeo’s Ancient Tarot of Marseilles.
A comparison of the Conver Marseilles

and
...the same Conver woodblocks as are several other currently available
deck reproductions, namely Lo Scarabeo’s Ancient Tarot of Marseilles

TemperanceAngel

Hey Fulgour, more great links, thanks :)