Using a playing deck...

Rosanne

I have been following along with these threads for sometime now. I have a question for those of you that have gone from Tarot to Playing cards for reading. Do you have or have you had conflict between the two systems? It seems to me that there is a very different interpretation of each suit between the two systems. I understand about "feeling' and 'Intuition' as regards to any any cards in both systems- but in general they seem very different. I can see that you could use Playing cards attached to 22 Majors and read like RWS- but the reverse seems not so clear. Many thanks ~Rosanne

Barbaras Ahajusts

I've used the regular deck more so than tarot through the years. I'm still learning the Hedge Wytchery style and that is so opposite of what I had learned many, many moons ago.

I like the Tarot when I need to tell a more deeper story, the cartomancy/regular deck talks differently to me.
The way I use to read was similar to the way Phoenix Rising reads, but still a bit differently. (Think hillbilly then you might get it! ;) )

The cartomancy is more of an oracle, and although I hate to say it, its pretty well true. {No one hit me!;) }

They both read differently, for me. Just go with what works for you. There isn't a set rule unless you go with a particular style of reading.

Barb

kwaw

Phoenix Rising said:
To Richmond and his brotherhood, the origins came from Atlantis.

How bizarre! Mine came from Richmond's [with a pack of 20 superkings, not connected with Atlantis however (don't smoke well when wet)], and they are brilliant to read with, never let me down:) Personally I first started reading with ordinary playing cards, and even if using tarot now, i take the 'majors' out for reading and use the minors much in the way I would an ordinary pack of playing cards - they are as capable of providing as rich and deep a meaning as a full tarot deck IMHO.

Kwaw

Phoenix Rising

In the method Richmond uses as he was taught by the "order of the Magi" the cards were laid out in a specific spread, there were many rituals they used, particularly with cutting and shuffling, they used a minute to shuffle, cut a few off the top, then wait 20 seconds, then cut again, this was done 3 times..timing was important to them. One of the spreads corresponded to the majors in tarot, for more information you can find HERE

7 was the mystic number as 7 was the middle card between the 13. 6 on each side. `Quoted by the Magi " The number 7 represents the soul in nature, and therefore becomes the center of all symbolic numbers. We find the sacred number interwoven into all religious systems known on our planet and the very warp and woof of Creation seem to bristle with sevens.
The sacred number of the Magi and one that has been known in our symbolism as the strangest of all, is this
[size=+2]1 4 2 8 5 7[/size]
twice 7: 4 times 7: 8 times 7 with the Ego added to the last figure.
If you divide by all eternity and you get nothing but the sacred number 142857 over and over".

To some the deck of playing cards can only be seen as a oracle or fortune telling tool, but for the adept and those who choose to delve deeper it is more than that. Their system was mainly based on astrology and numerology although they could predict accurately, and also predict the cycle for your entire life, as it ran in cycles.

At this present time, I choose to just use it simply for it's prediction, although that is just skimming the surface. Our playing deck is so "underrated" but it's design has lastest through aeons.

Joermit

Great to see still such interest in the pcs!

For those who read Tarot now and are considering adding playing cards to studies... it's not that difficult to do... I read both similarly, and actually starting reading pcs as a concise tarot... just used my tarot meanings for pcs... since working with pcs for the past 10 months or so though... some things have shifted and changed... there are some cards that are still similiar in meaning to my tarot meanings... but as an oracle, they work differently from each other... hard to explain... but... for any tarot readers interested... just use your tarot meanings for the minors to fit pcs... combine pages and knights to get your jack cards... I will say this... working with pcs has really helped me to fully appreciate the numerology in tarot... and... playing cards also helped me to finally get elemental dignities... basically, working with pcs made me a better tarot reader as well... I use both frequently... depends on my mood... last couple months have been playing cardish, so that was my main oracle... this week, tarot's popping up again... tonight though, I'm pulling pcs for myself..lol... really nice to have two different oracles to work with.... just some rambling thoughts... I should go to sleep now...lol... thanks

Joey