TOADies Anonymous.

Booklioness

This is my safe place.... this is my safe place....

JylliM

Yes, take all the decks you never use and mix them all together into a big pile on the floor, randomly draw out 78 cards and read with them until you either go stark raving mad or swear off buying new decks forever. Then spend the time you would have spent buying decks to put them all back to rights. After that, start all over again with a new set of 78 random cards. It's a lifetime proposition! :joke:

Barleywine, that is brilliant! I think I'm going to do it! :party:

euripides

Please please please Guys...there's another thread for this.

This seems to be a kind of thing on social media now where spending money you shouldn't is amusing - I find it on a planner forum I'm part of where people are like 'oh my husband's going to kill me, I've got a new planner arriving in the mail *tee hee*) I basically quit all the groups because none of them were about actually organizing and using, it was always about new purchases. We're all so desperately acquisitive.

Booklioness

For me, it was more about finding the "perfect" deck... not necessarily acquiring so many. I can easily look at a lot of them and easily say "meh" and pass. I hope that makes sense.

MadeiraDarling

How do you deal when the deck you're lusting after is a limited edition and you're worried about not being able to get it?

barefootlife

...aaaand then I bought a deck and oracle set. Damn you, etsy stalking emails. On the upside, this is the last one I really wanted, and most decks don't really jive with my earthy sensibilities. (look at dem astrological signs. i'm blaming the stars.)

On the downside, I was definitely supposed to be in money jail, and most especially tarot money jail. Whelp.

barefootlife

How do you deal when the deck you're lusting after is a limited edition and you're worried about not being able to get it?

I think this depends on how many decks you have, and whether you're planning to use it or admire it. If it's 'main deck' material, you're going to get as much use out of it as money you put into it, and you want it vastly more than you want anything else on your wishlist, then possibly worth it. If you have a case of the shinies, be strong and resist. It'll show up on ebay or this site's sale/swap forum eventually if you find there are deep and true regrets. The decks I have that I like but don't love were impulse purchases or fandom purchases. I can't say I have regrets, but life would've gone on without them.

Then again, I can also still count the number of decks I have on my fingers, so I might not count as a real TOADie yet.

MadeiraDarling

I think this depends on how many decks you have, and whether you're planning to use it or admire it. If it's 'main deck' material, you're going to get as much use out of it as money you put into it, and you want it vastly more than you want anything else on your wishlist, then possibly worth it. If you have a case of the shinies, be strong and resist. It'll show up on ebay or this site's sale/swap forum eventually if you find there are deep and true regrets. The decks I have that I like but don't love were impulse purchases or fandom purchases. I can't say I have regrets, but life would've gone on without them.

Then again, I can also still count the number of decks I have on my fingers, so I might not count as a real TOADie yet.

It's the tyldwick... I think I could read well with it, but I don't know (despite having played with the digital tool, cause reading real cards is so different)

Booklioness

It's the tyldwick... I think I could read well with it, but I don't know (despite having played with the digital tool, cause reading real cards is so different)

I agree with you here... the Apps are nice to 'see' the cards and get a feel for if you really want them; but there is no substitute for having them in your hands to hold and use.

barefootlife

Certainly a gorgeous and unique deck. Seems like one that would take awhile to 'get to know', not all that intuitive, and a little muddled with all the grunge over the images, but that's me and my biases.

This isn't the enablers thread, so I'm not going to tell you to go for it, just to weigh very carefully whether it's something you really want and will use (or at least make a concerted attempt at using) or something that will sit on a shelf being a collector's item. I'd consider things like cardstock, packaging, etc. Will this truly be a luxury you want to dig deep on and is a pleasure to use, or is it just a limited edition you're afraid of losing out on? Things to consider before breaking your buying sobriety.