Help me understand detriment better.

Sharla

A planet in the opposite sign it rules, is in its detriment. It feels out of place.

If a significator is placed here how would this make the person feel/act ?

Would they not feel happy with who they are with, or the situation they are in with them ?

So in a relationship query the person doesn't really like the other person, or for a work query, the person doesn't feel like they really fit in, and that everyones against them who they work with.

Am i on the right track ?

Minderwiz

A planet in the opposite sign it rules, is in its detriment. It feels out of place.

If a significator is placed here how would this make the person feel/act ?

Would they not feel happy with who they are with, or the situation they are in with them ?

So in a relationship query the person doesn't really like the other person, or for a work query, the person doesn't feel like they really fit in, and that everyones against them who they work with.

Am i on the right track ?

Yes, you've got the idea but you need to allow for the circumstances of the question. Starting with your relationship question. Two fairly common examples are Lord 1 in the Seventh house. Now this indicates two things. Firstly They love the person that is signified by the seventh house. But Lord 1 is in its own Detriment. That doesn't mean that they hate themselves or that they don't like what the seventh signifies. Quite the reverse, they do like, indeed love what the seventh signifies. But being in their own detriment signifies vulnerability. They are openly declaring their love (at least in the chart) without any promise of feelings in return. The person signified by Lord 7 could tell them to get lost, which would be very wounding. It's not a situation to relish but one that might be taken on to get their feelings across. They are not in control and indeed if the chart suggests that Lord 7 is more interested in someone else, then they have exposed their feelings for nothing but sadness.

The other is Lord 7 in the first. Now this is great news for the querent. In this case the person they desire, desires them. This is some evidence of Love or infatuation from the other person and they are firmly in control of the situation. Lord 7 is in its own Detriment, it is the other person who is at the mercy of the querent.

If your find that Lord 7 is in the second house, then what the other person loves you for your money (the same would be true if they are in the exaltation of Lord 2). Lord 2 in its Detriment would suggest that you haven't got much money and once they find out they might drop you. The reverse situation would apply if Lord 1 was in the eighth or the exaltation of Lord 8. The eighth is the other person's money.

If the question was 'Should I buy this house?' and Lord 4 is in its own Detriment, then the house is not in good condition. There may be substantial problems with it, and it might cost quite a bit of money to put them right.

'Will I get this job?' Lord 10 (the job) in its Detriment suggests that the job is not what you will like, no matter how interesting the advert. Note that the job as such may be sought after by many people. They might actually find it just what they want but for you it will not make you happy.

'Will I enjoy my holiday in the US?' Lord 9 in its Detriment suggests that you won't enjoy it

'Is my friend Sally getting better after her illness?' Sally's significator in its Detriment suggests that she's still ill and in poor condition.

'Is the Bird and Baby a good pub?' Lord 5 in its Detriment suggests that you won't like it.

Sharla

Thanks Minderwiz for this, i understand detriment so much better now you've explained and given the examples.

I'm going to take some notes on what you've wrote. :)