De-Enabling Thread

Debra

Thank ye.
Magpie9 does it better. Yes, I is Queen, but She is Empress.

Let us know when you're ready for Visconti de-enabling.

nisaba

<splutter>

<leaves thread in a big hurry>

sapienza

While Debra's words were indeed wise....I'm afraid I'm still not completely de-enabled. I actually like the idea of clean lines. I keep reminding myself the deck will have no soul but for now all I can say is that I'm going to have to think a bit more about it. I was really hoping that someone would come up with some major flaw of the deck, some symbolism that was dreadful or some ghastly mistake the creator had made. But so far just bad colouring and 'too clean'. :(

Zezina

SolSionnach said:
:bugeyed:

Sorry, woman, I just canna do it! :rolleyes:

re: Enchanted/Zerner-Farber
Lots of tiny details that no-one can make out.

Best thing about the deck: the Poodle on the Moon card!
Solution: I can see that image as long as taroteca is around.

Had it, kept it for years because of above card... sold it, haven't missed it ONCE.

Tiny tiny images. Impossible to see!

ITA SolSionnach!

The images on this deck, apart from the poodle (I'm a poodle lady too) irritated me so much that I biffed it years ago.

:heart: *Z*

tarotmama

Debra said:
This deck is just plain stupid. I assume that everyone can recognize that 78 vampire cards is pure gimmick... It's not so much a tarot deck as 78 excuses for a competent artist to do what he loves doing, which is making art.

Whoa. I'm actually completely de-enabled on this now. Thank you!! I feel so much lighter and freer!

Debra said:
I have one of these. The colors are really odd, with lots of not-quite-right yellows and pinks, and a very ugly typeface with stuff you don't want to know that mars the feel. Also, it's tiny! If you really want one after, say, six months, just wait for the Money Fairy and get one large enough to actually see the images.

Ok you win. I think what I really want is to just color my own rws clone anyway.

This was very helpful!! xo Someday I hope to be as snarky as everyone else in this thread so I can help people too! :)

WingspreadPhoenix

Could someone please help me not want Vargo's Gothic Tarot, and Frances's Favole Tarot? I don't think I should be spending that kind of money D:

thorhammer

On the Vargo - there is a thread, somewhere, that discusses the unfortunate incident that happened when the deck and book were released. From memory, details hazy, an AT member wrote the material for the book but when it came time for publishing, the creator simply appropriated the material and gave no credit.

NOT COOL. I will never ever ever touch that deck for this reason. Except maybe to symbolically burn one })

On the Favole - the Trumps are all a bit screwy, and don't really match the Tarot archetypes because (I think) it was existing art shoe-horned into the Tarot framework. The Minors aren't even artfully arranged - it's six masks in two rows, that sort of thing. And boring.

\m/ Kat

LotusSong

*cracks knuckles* Let's see if I am any good at this...

Okay, the Favole Tarot. None of those images were made with Tarot in mind. The deck was made solely to get that artist's work out there and convince more people to buy her art books.

This is why you end up with some truly dreadful cards. Not only does The Star have no star on it, but the woman looks like a member of the recently deceased who is still splattered with blood from when she died. The Sun is not a card of enthusiasm and illumination, but a depressed-looking woman in a black dress. I'm serious.

And even if you can somehow get past the lack of relevant symbols by telling yourself that the art is just so ~*beautiful*~ you can handle it, this deck has non-scenic pips. Even if you can read a Marseille, I can guaranty you can't read this. Why?

The suits are Masks, Roses, Butterflies, and Crosses.

Can you figure out which suit corresponds to what? Not even fans of this deck can agree. Some argue that Roses are Swords (because they're sharp) and Butterflies are Cups, while others say Butterflies are Swords (= Air) and Crosses are Wands and... do you really want to get into this kind of a debate with someone? Can you imagine reading for someone else who loves this deck and getting into an embittered argument about what suit is which? That's how friendships end.

You also used the phrase "that kind of money". While you should never spend "that kind of money" on a Tarot deck, this barely even passes as one. Instead, you're buying some art that was pasted onto small cards. It would be cheaper to just buy this woman's art books instead of this deck, and those pictures are far larger than what is found in the cards! But since this is de-enabling, you shouldn't buy her art books either. Out of spite. For confusing the masses with suits that have no correspondences, and using images with no relevance to tarot in a tarot deck.

There.

Le Fanu

Quite apart from the etchics, the Vargo is reappropriated spooky greetings card art shoehorned into vaguely conceivable tarot concepts. Nothing whatsoever to get your teeth into.

Flimsy tat, if we're being generous.

The Favole is just silly, outdated, pseudo-gothic, calendar art. Nobody reads with the Favole,people just buy it to make a statement. Just pretend you bought it and post in the "what's the postman bringing you" thread. We'll all think "Ooohh, pale & interesting goth type" and promptly forget all about it, and we'll be none the wiser...

Go on, lie to us. It's cheaper...

WingspreadPhoenix

Thanks you guys. It really helped :D I shall now have a happy wallet :]