Asking for info on Sabian Symbols

prudence

Hi Padma, there have been many threads posted in the Astrology section, discussing these symbols. I'll move this over there, you may get a lot more info, even though I see many have already contributed in this thread.

Padma

Thanks, Prudence! :)

And CosmicBeing, thanks ever s much for the welcome links! Those were awesome! :thumbsup:

BodhiSeed

I like Hill's book - 360 Degrees. I use a 12 sided die and a 30 sided die to chose a symbol.

Padma

a 30 sided die? I can't even imagine what that looks like - I need to go practice my google fu ;)

ok, found it at wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhombic_triacontahedron

My question is, since 2 numbers seem to arise to the top when you roll, which number do you choose? And why?

Thanks, Bodhiseed!

BodhiSeed

a 30 sided die? I can't even imagine what that looks like - I need to go practice my google fu ;)

My question is, since 2 numbers seem to arise to the top when you roll, which number do you choose? And why?

Thanks, Bodhiseed!

The 12 sided die represents the 12 sun signs (in their natural order), and the 30 sided die represents each degree. You can find dice now with the sun sign symbols on them too (which might make it easier!). My die has a predominant topside face. So if I rolled a 2 on astrological die and a 19 on the large die it would correspond to Taurus, 6th degree (6-7): "Wisps Of Winglike Clouds Streaming Across The Sky." :)

MandMaud

I did contemplate writing all the symbols/sayings down on blank cards, then using those as a divination deck...
If you painted a sketch of each scene, that would make a beatiful deck (with your knack for painting). Then you could publish and make your fortune!

From my Advanced Dungeons & Dragons days, and if I'm remembering right, we used the number underneath. The single side that the die sits on. :)

I was beginning to get caught up in your infatuation with the Sabian symbols, but then I looked at those links and remembered how random they are. I think I'd need some "sense" to connect each to its astrological decan, or its meaning, or something. But I still think they'd work great for divination. Maybe I would make connections if i spent some time with them, but there are so many of them!

Onaorkal

I had never heard of zodiac symbols before and I think it's REALLY interesting! The subject of using dice for that kind of divination turned up in a Facebook group too and then I had to go and buy some dice! I got 2 astro-dice (one with planets and one with the zodiac signs) and a 30 sided die.

I looked up the Sabian symbols and like some other people I didn't really like them. Many of them were a big turn off for me.
So I'm currently looking at the other zodiac degrees systems and I'm not a fan of any of them HA!

I might make some comparisons between the few of them that I found the most relevant and either pick the symbol I prefer OR come up with something which seems suitable. That'll probably be a lot of work but I love studying new things! :)

In the meantime, I would probably use my dice in some other way. Like throwing both astro-dice while asking a question and go have a look at the corresponding natal chart meaning (ex. Moon in Leo). That's still 12 × 12 possibilities. (The planet one includes North and South nodes.)

Also while doing some searching I found that it could also be a good idea to use a 12 sided die to represent the houses.
I could try to find one or throw my 30 sided one until I get a number between 1 and 12.

Anyway now I'm steering away from the main subject of the thread!
Thank you Padma for bringing up this topic! :)

I might start another thread related to astro-dice divination!

Padma

Thank you Bodhiseed, MandMaud, and Onaorkel!

These are great ideas in regard to using the dice. And Bodhiseed, thanks for your explanation! Also, yes Mand, I did think of illustrating the symbols, but there are so many of them! :p We'll see. It would make a cool divination deck on its own, to be sure!

Onaorkel, I agree - it is fun to learn new systems! Beats doing crosswords ;) Good luck in your searches, and do start your thread! I would find it interesting - as would others here, I am sure! :)

MandMaud

Yes Padma, it would certainly be a long-term project. :)

Funny, I'm doing a crossword as I read your post...!

Onaorkal, I think your mind works like mine!

I looked up the Sabian symbols and like some other people I didn't really like them. Many of them were a big turn off for me.
So I'm currently looking at the other zodiac degrees systems and I'm not a fan of any of them HA!

The "other zodiac degrees systems"? What others? :)

Also while doing some searching I found that it could also be a good idea to use a 12 sided die to represent the houses.
I could try to find one or throw my 30 sided one until I get a number between 1 and 12.

They'll be easy to source. Roleplayers use them all the time. That is in-person gamers, of course, not the online kind. Amazon is bound to have loads of choice.