Experiments with "Eye Rhythms" in the Dodal

sapienza

Hi, I have been enjoying reading this thread but haven't had time to post until now. Hope you don't mind me joining in.

Interesting observations so far and certainly three interesting cards. The Two Coins give me a sense of trying to bring two separate things together, it's like they are together, but not yet fully integrated. In the Ace there is a sense of unity, like all is contained within the one vessel. But in some ways it becomes closed off or shut down. The Page is attempting to explore the contents of the cup but it is covered. To me his expression is one of not quite sadness, maybe puzzlement. I get a sense from these cards of someone trying to explore the mystery of duality. The bird on the cup could represent that wisdom is held within. I know colour may or may not be significant, probably not, but the flowers(?) on the Pages hair alternate between red and white, maybe another sign of duality. Also, when I see those flowers I am drawn to look at the two in the centre of the two coins in the first card, which are more elaborate but unified in colour. Also, his hat is off, does this mean he is open to seeking wisdom?

I just re-read this and to me it sounds like I've been working with the Thoth too long. Anyway, just some impressions and thoughts to add to the mix.

ETA....just looking again.....to me the Pages hat is the same shape as the red 'bowl' part of the cup on the Ace. Could it be that wisdom is available if we simply open our mind?

Le Fanu

I have been out all day and am absolutely exhausted but I shall post random impressions simply because I promised myself I would post first before reading others' thoughts and I don't want curiosity getting the better of me!

The first thing I note, that anyone would note, is the central card as a magnification of the cup the page holds. As if we have both microcosm and macrocosm. I cannot help thinking of the central Ace - in all its glory - as an achievement of some sort, some source of pride. The way it is magnified in the reading, the large Chalice echoing the Page's chalice. This echo is unmistakable. Why does he shield it like he does? I find this card so enigmatic. Why would he do this? As if there is an achievement (central Ace) which has to be modified or hidden or disguised. And having to juggle this (2 of Coins; that eternal rhythm of the two Coins alternating). As if we have an achievement, something which the person is proud of, something significant but which has to be concealed somehow and the malabarisms which this entails, the deceit and having to struggle & juggle to keep up appearances (2 of Coins; 2 faced-ness?).

I love the way the little red dots on the outer turrets of the Ace are echoed exactly, uncannily on the page's head-dress. Isn't that extraordinary? Six little dots. What on earth could it mean? That the achievement is somehow related to the mind, the brain? LOL These spreads take so much time to assimilate, don't you think? So many tiny details!

Does he look at the chalice or does he look at the little black bird at the base of the large chalice? That little scrawny bird always reminds me of the bird in The Star, which I always think of as Hope wanting to soar.

Again, the floor of the Ace and the page are exactly the same; an exact continuation. Almost uncanny. this makes me think that the Page of Cups and the Ace of Cups are definitely linked in a way the 2 of Coins isn't, as if the 2 of Coins is slightly out of the equation. Suggests to me that we should view the 2 of Coins slightly more seperately

Herzog

Le Fanu said:
Does he look at the chalice or does he look at the little black bird at the base of the large chalice?

Interesting point. I just assumed he was looking at his chalice, but I understand what you're saying and can see how this can be used depending on the question.

I'm interested in your suggestion how the Two Coins might be viewed somewhat separately. Your original observation about the leaves on the Two and the Pages hands really made sense to me. The way I am understanding this series of cards -please see my original post- the Two Coins appear to be of value to the young man regarding his past

Herzog

Looking at the "overlapped" version of spread, there seems to be a "rhyme" between the "S" shape of the Two Coins and the Ace of Cups. There seems to be a common "curve" between these two cards. The curve isn't as graceful on the Ace as it is on the Two, but it may be enough to imply a link. I wouldn't read too much into this and perhaps just take note that somehow these two coins -whatever they may represent- connect with the giant cup.

Side note:

I'm never quite sure how far I can stretch these observations before it all falls apart. When it comes to these exercises, I can easily get carried away with "curves" and "dips" and such. I wonder sometimes if these mental gymnastics lead me further away from a clear message. It's like "conspiracy theorists" who see connections in everything. I like to keep things simple. How far off the beaten path do I need to travel just to end up at a simple answer?

This is not say we shouldn't keep exploring, abstracting and working these images to exhaustion :) Did I mention I was a devout conspiracy theorist :D

Herzog

Sometimes I like to sketch out details/elements from a spread... This helps me discover connective tissue amongst the cards

I do this so I can concentrate better on possible messages. Here are the rough notes/sketches from our current spread. I highly recommend this technique. As you can see I'm no artist, but the exercise really helps

phpCcbwEHAM.jpg

If you're interested, I will post more of these as we move forward.

Edited to add: pardon my horrendous spelling

moderndayruth

Ohh, its beautiful, so artistic!!! And i love your new, simplified username! :thumbsup:

p.s. 'Horrendous spelling'?! :confused: Yours is very nice, it looks like calligraphy!
(Haha, you haven't seen mine - usually myself i can't read what i've written some time ago! :p)

Le Fanu

I love your handwriting! Goodness, it looks like spirit writing (and you know I mean that as a compliment!) From beyond the grave. Beautiful.. And what a stunning notebook you have. I wouldn't dare post mine; I don't draw anywhere near as well as you do!

Herzog

Thanks moderndayruth.

This technique has helped me quite a bit. The basic idea is to isolate essential components, connective tissue, eye rhymes etc. Also, sketching or drawing automatically slows me down so I can get a better "feel" for the images and understand whatever detail may be present.

The Pages eyes, the bird, the Two Coins, the draped cup... these specific elements stood out when I first saw the cards. I can connect these things into a clear thought. More elements pop out as I go, but these are the initial ones

Herzog

Le Fanu said:
I love your handwriting! Goodness, it looks like spirit writing (and you know I mean that as a compliment!) From beyond the grave

Thanks... yes, a "compliment" indeed :)

Herzog

regarding the two of coins, we can possibly see this image as representing a situation that went no where; just round and round with potential that was never realized -because it is realized more in the three-

Or perhaps a relationship which was "materialistic" which our sensitive page may not have cared for.

Just a couple of more ways to look at this card. What got me thinking about this, Le Fanu, was your observation that the two was somehow "out of the equation."