Christians-Spices-Dragon Cards.

Rosanne

Western playing cards took a world trip in 1542/1543 with the Portuguese.

So these cards were in Japan before the first permanent European settlement (Spanish) in the continental United States in 1565.

These cards were Latin suited just like Tarot- they had Cups/Swords/Coins and Batons.

There is a visual link between the Swords of the deck and decks in Florence. There is also a case for these to be derived from the Minchiate of Florence. Note that Florentines also supported and encouraged the world trips to the East. With Tongue in cheek I quote Vasca de Gama when asked what he wanted in India he said “Spices and Christians” He should have added Conquest and Gold.

Each Suit had 14 cards Re/Donna/Cavallo and Fante Ace through 10. It is from the Ace we get this name-
The Dragon cards of Portugal.
The East Loved Dragons.
So in Japan by the 16th Century Dragon cards became a craze.

They produced them during the Tensho period of 1573-1592 and just like in Europe the Catholic Church tried to get them banned and was successful at times. Just like Europe the underground stream of playing cards remained. They called the Dragon cards Tensho-Karuta. It is thought the game they played was La Prime.
These card patterns have died out in Europe and survive in the East. How amazing.
~Rosanne
Sources:
Kwaw’s Book to me called the Dragons of Portugal (Thank you Kwaw)
Journal from Roppo in Japan about the printing from an early woodblock artpiece and the production of the cards.(Thank you Roppo)

Rosanne

Here are two scans the black and white are Dragon cards 17th Century- but the design is the same as was copied in Japan.

The Karuta cards are the reprint from the woodblock chest in Japan.

Attachments

• playingcards 004.jpg
    playingcards 004.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 262
  • playingcards 005.jpg
    playingcards 005.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 267

Rosanne

Here is beautiful woodblocks- it is an art-piece.

This subject has been covered before- but I thought new Members might like to see the diaspora of European playing cards to the East, and smile at the idea the reverse is now happening. It has taken nearly 600 years. :grin: I think it is wonderful.
~Rosanne

Attachments

• playing cards.jpg
    playing cards.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 252

Moonbow

Rosanne said:
... I thought new Members might like to see the diaspora of European playing cards to the East, and smile at the idea the reverse is now happening. It has taken nearly 600 years. :grin: I think it is wonderful.
~Rosanne

This has been discussed in our household just lately, having a daughter who is an art student and who spends many hours on anime-type pieces, she also researches Japanese costume and design, particularly the Ukiyoe period. She has recently received some Ukiyoe playing cards, whilst I have received some Hanafuda (a type are Karuta). Funny how some things go round in circles, particularly in the fashion/art world.

Thanks for these old playing card and Karuta images Rosanne.