A foolish thing?

Macavity

OK, i'm guessing it's a "Windmill Thing"? <shrug> It's just that odd little device on a stick that keeps on cropping up in Italian(?) "Fool" cards. Nothing of great significance - Simply for your amusement... or not maybe? What's more this fool has an "assistant" to hold the thing too! It's tough being a cherub ;)

http://www.tarothermit.com/etruria.jpg

Macavity

HudsonGray

Yeah, what the heck is that? If it's supposed to go round with the wind, maybe it indicates the 'way the wind blows', rather than 'tilting at windmills' (Though I don't remember when Don Quixote was written). Hmm.

Maybe it's alchemical in nature? (Ok, now why is the Hermitl beating the hell out of the baby?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I refuse to think of them as chin hairs. I think of them as stray eyebrows.

Macavity

Heheh. The full link is: http://www.tarothermit.com/fool.htm with another "thingy" ;)

Good thinking - Aside from the "obvious", I did wonder about things like alchemy. I suppose it seems "hi-tech"... in da Vinci sense? A renaissance equivalent of the "gameboy"? Or whatever any self-respecting fool might have? (I AM joking) I do like the images - all the non "PC" behaviour - cherub beating, cat bashing etc.

I particularly like the Minchaite Etruria: The "medieval elephant" on the four of coins, the "Lovers" where the young lady is holding a crown over the guy's head as a "foresight" - to ensure cupids arrow doesn't miss? The ape looking at itself in the mirror from the four of cups etc. etc. :D

Macavity

firemaiden

Keep going, Macavité, this is fun. I think the baby is getting a whoopin'
Show more
It reminds of a painting, Cupid Chastised by Bartolomeo Manfredi (1592-162?)

Macavity

Ye Gods, That's really terrible! Now there was me worrying about some impromptu Lion clubbing on the Visconti Sforza? Tame indeed. I do remember the reviewer who commented on the Ancient Italian/Classical Tarot Strength: The rather "determined" lady doing the lion wrestling - "Ya gotta stomp some paw" etc. Owwwwwwww :D

firemaiden

Really Macavité, you think its terrible? I thought it was cute....oh well... but then again, I didn't grow up in England...

Khatruman

I personally think that poor fool is getting rolled by those two evil little imps, and fighting for his life, or clothes..seems they need them.. *L*

Ok, Macavity, you and your band of mystery cats have convinced me to get this deck... I think it is a rollicking good time... *s*

Peace!

Macavity

Ah, you're clearly a person of discernment Khatruman ;) I think the LoS Minchaite is printed on the nicest card stock I have come across - considerably "softer" than any other deck I have. If I hadn't been brought up in England, heck I'd have settled for New Jersey - I'll wear my "Cape May" souvenir Tee-shirt with renewed pride :D

On the high art question, FM: I think a favourite (funny) is Titian's "Bacchus and Ariadne". Whereas cricket may not be familar to some (LOL), it looks like Bacchus has executed a near perfect "follow though" after bowling the ball. The slight excess of poundage puts me in mind of the famous Aussie bowler Shane Warne... })

Macavity

firemaiden

this Bacchus and Ariadne?
Which one is Bacchus? The guy with the snakes? the baby with hooves? the guy flying?
Oh, I get it now, Macav- the guy flying and bowling. Funny
Gosh, I sang Ariadne in Strauss's Ariadne auf Naxos. The tenor (Bacchus) looked exactly like that!

Diana

See the cheetahs (or are they leopards?) ? In front of the cart?

This is a picture of the Chariot. No doubt about that. :)