Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Who's that man in RW 6 Cups?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Rider-Waite-Smith

Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

I think it can be a stretch to try to import trump card meanings directly to the minor cards. Their connection is primarily numerological. The number Six is a number of balance and harmony. But the Lovers is associated with Air (Gemini) and the 6 of Cups with Water (Sun in Scorpio). The kids (I don't see a dwarf, necessarily) in the latter card don't look like they have a Scorpionic thought in their heads. There is too much sweetness there, while the couple in the Lovers seem more conflicted. The Lovers can mean a parting of the ways as readily as a liaison (the Hebrew letter for the card means "sword" and the concept can have a dual association: to cleave to something means to "adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly," while to cleave something means to "divide by or as if by a cutting blow"), while the 6 of Cups seems more about the pleasure of the moment.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #11
Citizen

arcange 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallwedd View Post
Hello Arcange

I read that this illustration is likely based on a play with Ellen Terry ...

http://www.waitesmithtarot.com/the-6-of-cups/

It seems to explain the strange age appearance of the figures, the watchman, the flowers and the white glove, even the yellow curly hair and cap of the woman/child.

R.A.

Oh, that is excellent. I have to get this book.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #12
Citizen

arcange 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
I think it can be a stretch to try to import trump card meanings directly to the minor cards. Their connection is primarily numerological. The number Six is a number of balance and harmony. But the Lovers is associated with Air (Gemini) and the 6 of Cups with Water (Sun in Scorpio). The kids (I don't see a dwarf, necessarily) in the latter card don't look like they have a Scorpionic thought in their heads. There is too much sweetness there, while the couple in the Lovers seem more conflicted. The Lovers can mean a parting of the ways as readily as a liaison (the Hebrew letter for the card means "sword" and the concept can have a dual association: to cleave to something means to "adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly," while to cleave something means to "divide by or as if by a cutting blow"), while the 6 of Cups seems more about the pleasure of the moment.

Hi Barleywine, thank you for this explanation. I was joking a bit about the dwarf like resemblance. But to me he looks sort of menacing and not so innocent. He is much bigger than she.

I can understand it being a stretch to associate trump cards with minors when the minors look like Tarot de Marseilles. But cards which are full of symbolism? I'm a novice and my history is lacking. I trust your expertise. Though I have questions.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #13
Citizen

magicjack 
Citizen

I got the book from the library. I can't remember much about it now but some of it was interesting and some of it wasn't. Or just take a look at it before you buy it.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #14
Citizen

BrownBear 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcange View Post
I was joking a bit about the dwarf like resemblance. But to me he looks sort of menacing and not so innocent. He is much bigger than she.
I always thought that was because PCS wasn't a great artist. (hoping I don't offend anyone here) . This card has always been an odd one for me, because the proportions seem way off.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #15
Citizen

Abrac 
Citizen

I honestly don't know how the authors of Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot can keep selling books. Most of their theories are the most laughable I've heard. Nothing against them personally, just saying their ideas show a lack of real research and border on silliness. My opinion of course.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #16
Life is an Elephant

Ace 
Life is an Elephant

I have always seen him as an adult walking away from Childish pursuits. In his hand is a staff---a symbol of power. I like to think he is the guy in the 8 of cups--walking away from what he CAN'T finish and up the mountain (Ascending) of enlightenment.
barb
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #17
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Frankly, I dodge the whole issue and just go with the Thoth meaning: pleasure, pure and simple, regardless of what deck I'm using. I do that with many of the RWS cards, but mostly the Sixes.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #18
Life is an Elephant

Ace 
Life is an Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrac View Post
I honestly don't know how the authors of Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot can keep selling books. Most of their theories are the most laughable I've heard. Nothing against them personally, just saying their ideas show a lack of real research and border on silliness. My opinion of course.
I looked up the URL Rallwedd furnished and I agree with you Abrac! The web site has 10 cards and their explication and I see it is very thin and pretty silly. I am getting it from the library, I will see for myself.

barb
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #19
Citizen

arcange 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjack View Post
I got the book from the library. I can't remember much about it now but some of it was interesting and some of it wasn't. Or just take a look at it before you buy it.

I read thru some of the website on the book. They use lots of marketing language that turns me off. I'll try the library.
Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #20

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.