Telephone Spread

le fey

Remember the game "Telephone" where people whisper into each others ear, then pass on what they thought they heard and it turns out to be something totally different than what was actually said?

I'm offering this spread to provide some understanding when a situation like this is clearly happening... either you say something and the other responds in a very confusing way, or you are responding strongly to something someone else says they never intended.

The shape of the spread is (very loosely) meant to look like a phone - the old, non cell variety.

I hope someone can get some use out of this!

Telephone Spread

. . . 3 1 4
. 2 . . . . . 5
. . . .6 . 7 . .

1. The Situation/Confrontation - what motivated the discussion
2. What A was trying to say.
3. What A actually said.
4. What B heard A say.
5. How B reacted to what B thought was said.
6. Advice for clearing up the confusion.
7. Outcome

vanity

Interesting spread! My group of friends tend to know what's happening with someone else extremely quickly (spreads like wildfire, seriously) so I'll probably have use for this in the near future. xD

Dolphin_Dreamer

with a few modifications this also could be used to get to the bottom of gossip
vanity said:
Interesting spread! My group of friends tend to know what's happening with someone else extremely quickly (spreads like wildfire, seriously) so I'll probably have use for this in the near future. xD

Glass Owl

I had a situation that came up last week where this spread came in really handy. The other thing is, I needed both me and my friend's take on it. So I took your spread and expanded it to fit my situation (I hope that's okay.) In order for all of the cards to fit, I also had to change the layout... this one looks like a cell phone :)

I hope you like it.

Misunderstanding Phone Spread (modified from le fey's Telephone Spread) by Glass Owl (11)

02---10---06
---------------
03---------07
------01-----
04---------08
---------------
05---11---09

1. The Situation/Confrontation - what motivated the discussion

2. What I was trying to say.
3. What I actually said.
4. What my friend heard me say.
5. How my friend reacted to what he/she thought I said.

6. What my friend was trying to say.
7. What my friend actually said.
8. What I heard my friend say.
9. How I reacted to what I thought my friend said.

10. Advice for clearing up the confusion.
11. Outcome

le fey

Oh I love that! Thanks for those modifications - I think that's going to be really useful! (and updated to current phones too!)

Glass Owl

le fey said:
Oh I love that! Thanks for those modifications - I think that's going to be really useful! (and updated to current phones too!)
I'm so glad that you like it. This spread reminds me of those cell phone commercials where there are big misunderstandings because you can't understand what the person is saying or the call gets dropped.

le fey

hee... so then, we should change outcome to 'can you hear me now??'

Glass Owl

le fey said:
hee... so then, we should change outcome to 'can you hear me now??'
That's exactly the commercial I was talking about! hehehehehe

Typical call from me: "What? You're breaking up. Are you in a wind tunnel? Can you repeat that? Wait a minute, who are talking about? I thought... No, I only caught the first part of that..."

This is why I hate talking on the phone :) Maybe I need to do readings while on the phone so I figure out what the person on the other end is talking about.