Eudes Picard meaning of the checkers board on page of swords

MR GREEN

Can anyone help me with the meaning of the checker board (symbol) on the page of swords. I have searched the net. but to no avail. Clive...

coredil

Original Eudes Picard meaning from his book Manuel Synthétique et pratique du Tarot.

LE VALET D'ÉPÉE
Un valet de haute taille tenant une épée. Il est debout sur un carrelage formant damier, au bord de l'eau, dans l'attitude de quelqu'un qui épie. Le damier signifie que le plan où se meut le valet suppose des combinations savantes. Il semble attendre, prêt à frapper.

Translation
PAGE OF SWORDS
A page, tall, is holding a sword. He stands on a tiled floor like a checkerboard, at the edge of water, he is like someone who is watching. The checkerboard means that the level where the page is moving assumes savants combinations. He seems to be waiting, ready to beat.

MR GREEN

Thanks for the reply, so waiting for a wise person,? or looking for wisdom ?. the card shows a page looking, is this what it means, like searching for knowledge. Maybe a spy, someone not to be trusted. Clive...

Philippe

Thanks for the reply, so waiting for a wise person,? or looking for wisdom ?. the card shows a page looking, is this what it means, like searching for knowledge. Maybe a spy, someone not to be trusted. Clive...

Yes a spy, a traitor, prowlers in the night, a lookout, a spotter, someone who wants to take you by surprise, a soldier.
Picard is very traditionalist. He found these meanings in the ancient french cartomancy where Hogier is a spy

hogier by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

Abrac

I'd translate the last two sentences as:

"The checkerboard means the plane where the Valet moves assumes scholarly combinations. He is waiting, ready to strike."​

It seems to me the Valet is in a situation that requires intelligent decision-making. He's analyzing his circumstances ready for his next move. :)

Valet of Swords

Philippe

Oddly in the astro-mythological Lenormand it's the 10 of spades that is associated with the night, the thieves, the conspiracy, the idea of being taken by surprise. Comparing it to a XVIIIth century's deck, in the Lenormand 10 of spades and Jack of spades exchange their meanings.

Len by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

MR GREEN

Are yes, now I understand, its very close to the jack of spades meanings in Cartomancy. Thank Philippe. and Abrac. Tell me, can anyone recommend a more modern interpretation of Picards minor arcana. Clive..

Abrac

There's El Gran Tarot Esoterico. It came out in the 70s, published by Fournier. The minors basically follow the Eudes Picard pattern though they aren't as rich in symbolism. I'm not saying I'd recommend it but it's one you might consider. :)

Metafizzypop

I don't know anything about the deck, but I wanted to throw in an idea because I like to play with symbolism, wherever it is.

We may be better off seeing it not as a checkerboard, but as a chessboard. And that it represents strategy. It means thinking things through and formulating a plan to win a fight.

A checkerboard could be seen the same way, since checkers is also a game, and a competition. But it's also a much simpler game than chess. Chess takes a lot more strategy, and almost mathematical calculation abilities.

Having the board be next to water is interesting, too. Water is emotion and the chessboard is logic. It's a contrast between the two ways of approaching an issue. Do we follow our heart, or our head? The fact that the Page's back is turned toward the water seems to show his decision.