Untresette Spread – for Creative Focus in Writing

Culain

Untresette: the combined Italian words for “One, Three, Seven.” No apologies for the name: it stuck and it stays. :) An explanation for the creation of this spread is beneath the diagram and card meanings.

In the diagram, double-digit figures are used to indicate each card (otherwise 10 and 11 would swell the bottom right edge and spoil the overall delineation of the arrowhead figure). The asterisks* aside card #2 are only used to keep spaces there widened, where the site's editing tool kept closing them, so just ignore them. The spread appears here as straight as is permitted. Links below to images of both versions.

## ## ## 01 ## ## ##

05 ## 03 *02* 04 ## 06

## 07 ## ## ## 08 ##

## ## 09 ## 10 ## ##

## ## ## 11 ## ## ##

Alternate/Reversed version:

## ## ## 11 ## ## ##

## ## 09 ## 10 ## ##

## 08 ## ## ## 07 ##

05 ## 03 *02* 04 ## 06

## ## ## 01 ## ## ##

1. Hero’s initial situation (environment, personal condition, or both; past and present may both be represented)

2. Hero’s initial goal(s) or driving force

3. Foreshadowing Element (symbolizes complete story’s essence – imagery, memory, a song, an anonymous gift, a resonant phrase from a friend or lover or stranger, etc.; may act as signs warning of impending conflicts)

4. First Conflict (how/why the Hero meets the Adversary’s force or will)

5. X-factor or sub-plot (represents aid from a newcomer, a potential second adversary or other mysterious external force)

6. Revelations (key to two adjacent doors: one showing where the Hero descends into darkness to find the light, the other where he/she finds the Adversary’s potentially good or better nature)

7. Mirror (merges X-factor or sub-plot with both Hero and Adversary; crystallization of self-awareness occurs here)

8. Social Consequence (how change manifests in the Hero’s perception of the world at large, or vice versa; a fundamental philosophical transformation has its basis here)

9. Hero’s refined goal(s) or driving force

10. Second Conflict

11. Resolution(s)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1683/untresettespread.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8181/untresettespreadreverse.jpg

One, Three and Seven have always had incredible personal significance, whether individually or in magickal resonance as a triad. In this spread, One is the apex of the upright pyramid based on Three (cards 2, 3 and 4), while Seven (cards 5 –11) centers them at the base of a reversed second pyramid. The sum of one and three and seven is eleven, which reduces to two. Apply to this the Crowleyan mystical expression of zero equals two, and we have a full circle (so to speak). Also incorporated is the “lightning flash” from the Qabalistic Tree of Life: The Divine Spark is centered on the first row, the explosion of the energy of life is in the second, and the lightning zig-zags the remainder of the way from the third, the total form of which points toward resolution. This may be meaningless to some, and I understand that, but I’m just explaining what went into it.

I do not use Significator cards; but if you do, and/or you have not yet conceived your main character, lay one over card #1 if doing so feels right or necessary. If you already know your central character (even just basic, defining qualities), I would not recommend a Significator. I don’t experience writer’s block (in fact, the opposite), but this has helped me focus my ideas and bring in new elements. The first time I used this, it showed me the script I had already outlined, but also colored in most of the spaces between. Although designed specifically as a tool for creative focus, if anyone translates this to broader reading purposes, I’d love to know what comes of it and whether this works for you in its present form as well as it has for me.

Culain

wildchilde

Thank you so much for sharing this and for putting so much thought into the spread. I am saving this and will definitely use it in the future!

Aivli

This is so awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this.