Pocket RWS - wrong proportions

Amon

Has anyone noticed this? The images in the pocket edition of Rider-Waite (US Games) has the wrong proportions, well at least the copy I received the other day, chinese printing, isbn 0-88079-346-5.

When making the images smaller the ratio between height and width hasnt been kept. The result: distortion of the images making everything slightly fatter, extended in width: barely visible in some cards, most clearly visible in circular objects like the Sun and Moon. Drawn as perfect circles in the standard edition (3x3 cm) they are no longer circular but ovals (2,3x2,2 cm) in the pocket edition. And the Wheel of Fortune goes from 4,3x4,3 to a oval of 3,3x3.1 cm. Of course the persons in the cards are also affected. Temperance, one of my favorites, just look fat. Is this a faulty printing or is it just the standard of US Games these days?

MissMacchiato

I don't have an answer but I'd love to see a fat temperance, LOL

Richard

It's true!

Attachments

• whratio.jpg
    whratio.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 169

greatdane

Good to know LRichard

You gave me another reason to wait for a pocket RWS...I don't like the backs and now that you've mentioned this...I think I will wait awhile longer (actually I would like a pocket edition of the PCS Commemorative).

bogiesan

It's true!

Then all the pentacles will be ovoid. Is that the case?
We would want to see other small or pocket or miniature versions for comparison, too. Slp[[y scanning and pixel aspect ratio conversion. Happens often in the video world.

Sulis

We would want to see other small or pocket or miniature versions for comparison, too. Slp[[y scanning and pixel aspect ratio conversion. Happens often in the video world.

No, that's not the case. I've got a very old version of the Pocket RWS and Temperance looks like the image in the post above. The Pentacles look perfectly round to me though.

bogiesan

No, that's not the case. I've got a very old version of the Pocket RWS and Temperance looks like the image in the post above. The Pentacles look perfectly round to me though.

I noticed the sun disk was not distorted in the photo either. Weird.
Different artwork altogether?
A mystery.

Amon

Thank you LRichard for giving us picture proof.

Yes, I believe it is. Barely visible though, about 0,5 mm longer in width. Its in the sun and moon and similar large circular objects that it gets really disturbing.