Waite and The Pictorial Key to the Tarot

merissa_88

I'm thrilled to hear about a new book by Mary Greer on this topic. I recently watched a webinar on the Lenormand cards and she is an amazing historian as well as a reader and writer.

I have actually grown to like Waite more as I study the PKT.

I understand why people are frustrated by his blurry descriptions and the stuff he just doesn't talk about. I feel like I need to read his book in one hand with Paul Foster Case's book in the other to get a lot of the things he doesn't communicate.

However, two things really impress me. One, is that in 1904, he got the history right and dismissed the whole "tarot came from Egypt" thing. I know this is a no-brainer - but in the 80's my teachers were still repeating that garbage in their classes.

The other is his obsession with astrology that runs through his divination systems. I like it and think it's a great way to create a system even though it probably makes more sense for Justice to come before Strength and is a definite break with tradition. It does lead to some complicated systems (my favorite is a flower divination technique he describes which combines astrology and folk divination), but it's easier for people like me to play with than the Kabbalah.