Choice Centered Tarot and Everyday Tarot (?)

kell

Everyday Tarot, by Gail Fairfield, just arrived. She has another book, Choice Centered Tarot.

I've only been skimming through the pages, but it appears her system of card meanings is based upon numerology, which many of us use to varying degrees in reading. However, the meanings are so off-base compared to standard RW. For example: The Nines represent integrating. For 9 Swords: Integrated Thoughts (upright) "Your lifestyle or daily schedule is proceeding smoothly. You can easily and flexibly adjust it when changes are needed without losing sight of your priorities. Verbal or written communication is flowing smoothly and clearly."

WT..?

Some meanings are not so far off base; such is the case with 5 Pentacles.
Like I said, I have not read the book, so I'm not qualified to critique this in any way. I would be curious as to whether anyone else is familiar with the book, or this methodology, and anyone's thoughts.

dancing_moon

I haven't read the book but from your comments I don't see anything particularly off-base about the method. Waite's associations are not the only 'correct' or possible ones, and when I read with a TdM deck, I use a completely different system, one in which 3 of Swords is normally very happy and 9 of Cups can be very sad. If her system is thought-out and working, then why not give it a try, perhaps with a pip deck? You might surprise yourself. :thumbsup:

kell

Yes, Dancing Moon, I think you're right. Not finished with the book, but in reading through it a bit more,the way she beautifully simplifies the pips and suits is seamless, and really flows (at least in theory). Guess I need to branch out a little bit. I actually do have a Swiss 11J I haven't used yet, so it would be interesting to give this method a try on the pips.

Lee

Hi kell,

Choice Centered Tarot and Everyday Tarot are the same book. Everyday Tarot is the more recent edition.

As dancing_moon said, Fairfield's numerological scheme is a great way to read non-scenic-pip-card decks like the Marseille. As you've already noticed, it doesn't work so well with decks with pictures on the pip cards like the RWS, because the pictures will often conflict with her meanings.

If you like her approach, she has another book called Choice-Centered Relating and the Tarot, where she goes more in depth, with lots of reading examples.

Ace of Stars

As dancing_moon said, Fairfield's numerological scheme is a great way to read non-scenic-pip-card decks like the Marseille. As you've already noticed, it doesn't work so well with decks with pictures on the pip cards like the RWS, because the pictures will often conflict with her meanings.

Her interpretations work so beautifully with The Wild Unknown Tarot -- it's like meant to be. I've been using them together for a few months now with really amazing results.

kell

Thank you for the idea, Ace of Stars.
I have the Wild Unknown, but haven't read with it much to date. This gives me renewed inspiration to try again.