Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

Alta

9 of pents

Oh my! how perfect!

Demonesse

Re: Hey guys, we are not doing Disney here!

baba-prague said:
No, I honestly disagree on The Devil card. I think the ideas are lovely, but not for this deck - it could pitch it into cartoon, which we don't want.

The Devil stays as it is - I find it chilling personally - in fact I half wondered if it was not a bit too much so.

Please bear in mind we are not going for "cute" - we have a very clear idea in our heads of the world that this is all set in. We've actually begun to set up other parts of this world just to begin to build it more broadly (to us, this is something like a parallel universe, with some of its own internal consistency and rules). It isn't that I don't like cute - but I don't know, it's just not us somehow.

Okay - back to the scene in the formal garden...

That is of course entirely your prerogative. :) Do bear in mind all us detractors are not necessarily putting the heat on, expecting you to change your cards! Each of us have our own opinions about how the cards could be improved - in my case I just love messing around with different ideas, and I give my opinions without any expectations whatsoever that they must(!) be taken into account - no worries. :)

Actually, the deck so far seems very cute to me. But in a very good way. The Devil is not really my style, but there it is...can't see him as 'languid and lovely' though; I do see the Zeus/satyr portrayal coming through. I'm actually all right with the card - love the snarling hound - except for the grainy Devil, which seems a bit oddly situated to me, because his line of sight seems to be out of focus with the cats - again, opinion only.

Like the 9 Pents - very candyish - although the scene outside seems a bit more photo-ish compared to the rest of the card?

HudsonGray

9 of Pents--ah yes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Dinner!

ncefafn

HudsonGray said:
9 of Pents--ah yes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Dinner!

Or, for your cat, HudsonGray, a light snack.

:laugh:

Kim

lunakasha

The 9 of Pents is perfect, Karen.......as I said, this is my favorite card (other than the Moon), and one of the first cards I look at when I get a new deck. This cat was an excellent choice....she (he?) just exudes luxurious contentment to me!!!

:) Luna

skytwig

baba-prague said:
She is a Norwegian Forest by the way. Absolutely beautiful.
Oh, I have wanted a Forest cat for a while now.... but I want the grey ones......

PS: Karen..... tried to PM you, but your 'mailbox' is full..... probably little meecies hiding from the kitties.... :)

baba-prague

Baroque performances

We've been very busy sketching and building "sets" in the past few days, so there isn't another card to show yet. Plus once there is I may put it on the website, which is almost finished (how many times have I said that!?)

But as a little diversion, here is one of our physical "sketches" just for fun. Very simple, but I like the atmosphere in this one.

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/theatre2.jpg

By the way, now that the kittens eyes are finally open (it took nearly two weeks - much longer than I expected) I'll put up some photos. They are real beauties.

baba-prague

and a close-up, because I'd like you to see the lion over the door:

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_2swrdcloseup.jpg

Again (as in the Devil, Stength and several others), we have used a Baroque tapestry background, so the card is "realist" in one way, but in another way, well you see that what is behind her is not a "real" landscape but a representation of one in tapestry. We've used this "real or not?" device quite a lot (in this period trompe d'oeil was popular)

ncefafn

Two of Swords

I love this card, Karen. It feels like her little paws aren't strong enough to hold those swords up and one or both of them is going to tip and slice either through her or through you. And the fact that she's using them to block her face, and effectively her line of sight . . . perfect!

Kim