Mysteries of Sepher Yetzirah

Huck

2nd Mystery

I promised 2 mysteries of SY, both not commonly known. The first I've shown, it was the fact, that SY and I-Ching both reflect the same mathematical body, which is basically 2^6.

Not 2^5, as stated by Aryeh Kaplan.

The second is about the numerology of the Alphabet, not that, as it is commonly used in the Hebrew number-system.

Common is: Aleph = 1, Beth = 2 .... Iod = 10, Kaph = 20 etc.

In this special context it is counted=

Aleph = 0
Beth = 1
Iod =10
Kaph = 11
Tau = 21

As you see, this counting methode is identical to the numerolgy used in Tarot.
Tarot knows a Fool = 0 and then 21 other numbers from 1-21.

The same methode is now applied to the Hebrew Alphabet in special context of the Sepher Yetzirah, just observing, what happened inside the applied number-system, when the 22 letters were grouped in special categories, which are "mothers", "double" and "simple" letters.

The special partition of letters in this way is given with the SY, if it is earlier already known and done is unknown.
An analysis of the earliest known forms of Alphabet in the context of the names of letters gives reason to suspect, that a partition of the letters already was done at that time, but in another way as later in SY.
This theme is discussed in the thread about the forms of early alphabet, the probably earlier (original) system is suspected to have been:

letters 1-3 = mothers
letters 4-9 = 6 double letters
letters 10 - 21 = 12 simple letters (ABC-man)
letter 22 = 7th central letter

By the given conditions (an earlier concept was possibly changed with SY), the row " 0-21" is researched, if it possibly explains the reason for change.
In the opinion of autorbis, which detected this context around 1987, just this row explains the reason for the change, also it explains the specific order of SY, for instance, why the mothers just got 1st, 13th and 21th position in the Alphabet.
Autorbis detected the context and during his studies of this object he observed no earlier text, which presented the same conclusion. Also he didn't see any other researcher in the internet, who went similar ways, later, when internet was accessible.
Autorbis published about it in 1987. Also he wrote in an email 1996:

NUMEROLOGY of Tarot and Sepher Yetzirah

I will demonstrate in the following a number game, which I've analyzed out of the informations given by the Sepher Yetzirah. The number game is of importance for the Tarot, because the Golden Dawn related at the end of the last century tarot and Kabbala on the base of the teachings of the Sepher Yetzirah. This action proved to be the main influence on the development of modern tarot.
I hope my poor English will not lead to misunderstandings.

Before I start to explain the number game, I'll give some basic
informations.

The Sepher Yetzirah is a small book of 20 pages and the time of its origin is strongly discussed but unknown. It is clear that it had appeared before the end of the 5th century, sometimes it is dated as early as 2nd century. The author himself declares to be the biblical Abraham, but chosing the name of an outstanding mystical figure is a common feature in this sort of literature in this time (compare the writings of Hermes Trismegistos). The main object of the text are the "32 ways of wisdom". God used them in creating the world.
The 32 ways are shown as a system containing 22 letters and 10 "sephiroth" (numbers 1 -10). The 22 letters are parted in 3 groups, mothers, doubled and simple (3-7-12), the group of sephiroth also (1-3-6). Each entry is related to some other things, of most importance is the relation to common elements of astrology, zodiacsigns, planets, elements.
The Sepher Yetzirah took very much influence on medieval Jews, there are more than 50 commentaries still existing in our time. His simple model dominated the Kabbala and took further developments sometimes a little far away from the original concept. His influence is still alive as seen in the tarot.

I'll show at other places that the 32 ways of wisdom are in some way identical to the 64 hexagrams of I-Ching.

The Sepher Yetzirah is of eminent importance for the tarot, because it presents the first appearence of an arrangement between Hebrew alphabet and astrology, which was later commonly used by the medieval kabbala and from this source projected on the Tarot game (only major arcana), first by
Eliphas Levy and later in a slightly changed order by the Golden Dawn. As the arrangement of the Golden Dawn nowadays is most common, you can reflect, that, for example, 4 (Emperor) = aries is first noted in Sepher Yetzirah (=SY). Naturally the author of SY didn't know any connection to the idea "Emperor", as the tarot was invented 1000 years after his own time, but he reflected aries = he (= 5th letter of the Hebrew alphabet)
and this influenced in the development of time the Tarot attribution of the Golden Dawn. The 5th letter "he" did met card no. 4, Emperor, because the first letter aleph was considered to present card 0, Fool. So the row of Hebrew alphabet and the number row of tarot meet in a slightly changed
order.

0 =1st letter, 1 = 2nd letter, 2 = 3rd letter etc.

As the analysing of the number game of SY will show, the "uniting trick" of the golden dawn surprizingly met the fact, that in some sort of "hidden order" the author of SY himself didn't count aleph, the first letter, so that the letter "he", although the fifth letter and in normal algebra used as number 5, in this "hidden reality" really was connected to the no. 4.
The reason for this curious sorting might have been, that aleph in the religious background always had a very special meaning. It was not regarded as an usual letter, and, for instance in SY. "aleph is the cause
of all other letters".

NUMBER GAME (SY)

mother letters (elements):
0 + 12 + 20 = 32

double letters (planets):
1 + 2 + 3 + 10 + 16 + 19 + 21 = 72

simple letters (signs of the zodiac):
4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 11 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 17 + 18 = 127

all together:
32 + 72 + 127 = 231

The three lines of additions are not given by the tarot but by the
astrological system of Sepher Yetzirah, which is attributed to the Tarot by the golden dawn (which is a small but remarkable difference). Note, that aleph is counted as O, beth as 1, gimel as 2 etc.)

231 is a necessary number (the addition of the row 1+2+3 ... +21). 32, 72 and 127 (near to the binary code number 128) are "nice" numbers that means intentionally constructed. Somebody played a nice number game and it is
open to be explored by everybody studying Sepher Yetzirah.

32 is there because of the "32 ways of wisdom" and the 72 is always well known and constantly appearing in Kabbala (for instance "72-letter-name of God"). But, maybe, you think, 127 is not a nice number?

Sephiroth numbers:
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10 = 55

55 + 72 = 127

32 + 127 + 127 = 286

286 is a necessary number again and the natural addition of the rows 1-10 (55) and 1-21 (231).

If somebody wanted to show a 32 in his template (and the author of the Yetzirah wanted to show a 32 because of his "32 ways of wisdom"), 2x127 is a very elegant number-way to put the rest in partitions. To part one 127 in 72 and 55 is choosing an elegant number-way again.

***** Note by Huck: autorbis added in his post the following, however, he regretted it later, as he forgets to explain how it comes to this order of the planets, which appears in the Golden Dawn Tarot interpretation, but not in this form in the SY.
Actually this question leads in complications, as the Sepher Yetzirah obviously "played tricks", for instance in the attribution of planets to days of the week - this riddle is variously discussed and explained by others.
Autorbis assumes, that the SY also "played tricks" with the attribution of planets to letters. By some reason - which stayed finally unexplained - curiously the Golden Dawn applied the correct order of the probable intention of the author of SY - only with one mistake (according to the analyses of autorbis, which are complicated). The mistake is, that the author of SY probably wanted Moon = 1 and Mercury =2 and that the Golden Dawn coordinated Mercury =1 (Magician) and Moon = 2 (Papessa).
end of my ddition, autorbis proceeds: ***

The 7 double letters

Letter numbers:

inner planets (moon, mercury, venus)
1 + 2 + 3 = 6 (= 1+2+3)

special planet (saturn)
21 (=1+2+3+4+5+6)

outer planets (jupiter, mars, sun)
10 + 16 + 19 = 45 (= 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9)

The arrangement of inner and outer and special planets is commonly unknown, but appears in the same way in the Sephiroth-tree (7-8-9 = inner planets, 4-5-6 = outer planets, saturn = special planet.

Sephiroth numbers:

1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10=55

And 127 is:

1+2+3 = 6
1+2+3+4+5+6 = 21
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9 = 45
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10 = 55

6 + 21 + 45 +55 = 127

May be, you think, that is all. It isn't, but it is enough for the moment
and it is open to your critics and questions.

***** So the email ends. From the representation of autorbis in 1987 I know, that the considerations behind the details are complicated and best only communicationable with graphical help. In the moment nobody of us thinks it of great interest to complicate matters - so we leave that for other times.

People already have problems to understand easier things. For the discussion of the alphabet-question it's only of importance to understand, that there is an artificial trick inside the numerology of the SY, which probably was not in existence at the time of invention of the Alphabet. And for that understanding actually the appearance of numbers like

32 - 72 - 127 - 55

MUST be enough.

If somebody thinks, it is not enough, we think, that he may go in the forest and ask the trees for more information, and we behind our own walls simply think, another one, who doesn't understand the talk of numbers :) ... and we know a lot of them.

The "somebody", who made the trick ....

1. either he knew the row of the Alphabet as "a given fact" - as we know it -,
2. or he was in a position, in which he could influence the row of the alphabet, just arranging it in a fitting way.

The possibilility 2 has many ways, but demands, that the creator of the number-game was very, very early.
Our logic demands, that the inventer of the original alphabet in combination with memory names was earlier ... or the creator of both interpretations (names, AbC-man from 10-21 and SY-logic) was a single person or group, just playing with a double interpretation.

We tend to believe, that possibility 1 is correct. The alphabet was on its run to become a success, and then somebody composed the number-game, which appears in SY.

The arrangement of the mothers is mathematically "ideal", or better "nearly ideal", you've to understand that.

For that make the Alphabet to a circle, "make the snake capture its tail" :), I hope, you understand the picture.

Then you have in one segment of the circle:

.... resh, schin, tau, aleph, beth ...

resh is sun (by Golden Dawn)
schin is a mother-letter
tau is the centered planet
aleph is a mother letter
beth is "correctly" moon

This is a perfect "center", here are the most important elements of the binary code hidden - with the exception of some important Sephiroth-elements, which don't belong to the Alphabet order, of course, and with the single exeption of "mem", the third mother letter.

If you've difficulties to get the picture, take a pencil, paint the Alphabet in a circle and they look.

Then go back in the situation of that person, "who did it".
Giving the arrangement a symmetrie, the missing 3rd "mother letter" should have position 11, and, assuming, that the alphabet already existed, would have been letter kaph=20 (cause then you would have 9 letters distance between kaph and beth and 9 letters distance between kaph and resh.
But .... our arrangeur of the Sepher Yetzirah order didn't choose that way, he did prefer to attribute the 3rd mother letter to mem at the 13th position. Why this break?

Of course, naturally:

"He desired to arrange 0 + 12 + 20 = 32"

If he had taken kaph as 3rd mother, then:

0 + 10 + 20 = 30

He didn't like that.

Or, if he had chosen to use 1-22 instead of 0-21, he would have gotten:

1 + 11 + 21 = 33

He didn't like that.

He did choose:

Mem = 3rd mother-letter

Well, then we've a lucky accident. In the "name" list - about which we assume, that at least a big part is of an older age than the arrangement of Sepher Yetzirah - the letter "mem" is associated with water.

Why this? How this? He did choose the "right mother letter" by a numerological calculation, naturally it's a little strange that he just just finds mem=water at the right place.

There are various ways, how this might have happened, without need of a "unbelievable" accident.

Consideration 1: The Alphabet-name row was changed by the arrangeur. "Mem=water" was imported, and, although many old elements were kept, this one was changed according to the interests of the arrangeur. But this would demand a rather early establishment of the arrangement. This might be doubted with good rights.
One may observe in this context: the early form of Mem remembered a rather similar Egyptian form, which also meant water, but which meant "n".

Consideration 2: Mem already meant water, and just this feature caused the arrangeur of the SY-order to think about it in the way, that he did.

Well, I leave it, as it is. Enough for today.

Ross G Caldwell

You've written a lot and it deserves a longer reflection - printed out as you say. Especially the numbers play in the earlier post.

I have two chief criticisms, in general -

The use of the Hebrew letters as serial numbers is not attested, ever, to my knowledge. That is, 21 is written as (Kaf)(Alef), not simply the letter Shin. Shin is 300. Mem is 40, not 13 (or 12). 13 is written (Yod)(Gimel). In your theory, how would the Sefer Yetzirah write the number 300? A row of 15 Resh? (or 15 Shin?). So your special use of the numbers, even without making Alef=0, seems wrong from the start. It is completely ad hoc.

Secondly, I think the Mother letters idea is adequately explained as referring to the elemental theory - Alef is Air, since the word for Air starts with Alef; Mem is Water, since "Mayim" means water; and Shin is Fire, "esh" means fire. Alef and Shin (which is both the word for Fire and has two mother letters), with Mem in the middle.

Why isn't that an adequate explanation of why these letters are "mother" letters? (also, "ama" is mother, two mother letters).

Ross

Huck

Ross G Caldwell said:
I can see the powers of 2 having realizations in all systems -

2 - binary, flip a coin, yes-no
4 - four elements, tetragram of geomancy and Ifa
http://www.innerx.net/personal/tsmith/VodouPhysics.html
8 - directions
16 - Geomantic figures
32 - paths of wisdom
64 - hexagrams of I Ching
128 - ?
256 - Odu of Ifa

Huck, why doesn't 32 (2^5) tell us much?

The 32 paths of wisdom are a hidden 64-element, you cannot count them as evidence for a 32-elements-system.

The 2^5 structure simply wasn't used - let's say, very much, actually I don't know of anything of relevance, but can't exclude, that somewhere something existed. The one "much used structure" was 2^6, probably cause the simple reason, that 2x3 is 6, which was prefered against 2+3 = 5.

2+3 is used, of course, for instance in Yin/Yang + heaven/man/earth in the I-Ching ---- but, it's only a subelement in the general 64-scheme of the Chinese, where it has a natural correct place and where the "2" (yin/yang) must be understood as having another context as the "3" (heaven/man/earth).

A 5-dimensional hypercube is an absurd idea. Kaplan points to Sepher Yetzirah 1.5 and the 5 pairs below/top, north/south, west/east, beginning/end, good/bad.
That's 3-dimensional space, time and moralistic judgment. The 3 dimensions of space belong to the same category (space), the other both not. Forming a 5 dimensional hypercube out of them means "misinterpreting" them.

This is the right interpretation:

------ begin -----
bad --------- good
3x2 directions
or 3 dimensions
of space
end

The Sephiroth 4-9 do not have the same quality as 1,2,3 .... 10, generally - if one hasn't understood that, what has he/she understood of Kabbala and of life-tree?

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
A 5-dimensional hypercube is an absurd idea. Kaplan points to Sepher Yetzirah 1.5 and the 5 pairs below/top, north/south, west/east, beginning/end, good/bad.
That's 3-dimensional space, time and moralistic judgment. The 3 dimensions of space belong to the same category (space), the other both not. Forming a 5 dimensional hypercube out of them means "misinterpreting" them.

I don't know if a 5-dimensional hypercube is absurd, but I agree that Good and Bad, and Beginning and End, are not spatial dimensions, and that therefore these two "dimensions" cannot be adequately described as "spatial".

But to simply say that it is a five-dimensional object is not absurd, on the face of it.

Huck

Bahir-64

Actually Kaplan explains, that the SY explains, that "the ten sefirot define a 5 dimensional space". In SY 1.5

Actually he translates:

"Ten Sphirot of Nothingness:
Their measure is ten
which have no end
A depth of beginning
----- A depth of end
A depth of good
----- A depth of evil
A depth of east
----- A depth of the west
A depth of north
----- a depth of south
The singular Master
God faithful King
dominates over tem all
from his holy dwelling
until eternity of eternities"

This is not 5-dimensional SPACE described in that, what the SY explains in this passage, it is normal 3 dimensional space together with a dimension of time and a dimension of moral judgment.

His misuse of "5-dimensionable space" is excusable, he's just not accurate with his words, such things happens.

But with this "5-dimensional something" he explains the term "32 ways of wisdom", which are the object of the whole book and not that of this passage.
This passage speaks of the Sephiroth. As the number of Sephiroth is 10, it is somehow natural to desribe them as 5 pairs.

Nowhere the SY speaks of a mathematical room builded by these 2^5.
But the whole text obviously presents the formula:

32 = 22 letters + 10 Sephroth

in details, and each element is explained and odered in agoup. This is the main text, not a single passage. And the final order is:

22 letter =
3 mothers
7 double (one is special)
12 single

10 sephiroth =
1 special
3 for elements
6 for directions

And this formula is identifyable in the mathematical body of 2^6, very clearly, as autorbis has demonstrated.
It is not identifyable in the mathematical body of 2^5. In no way.

Ergo: Kaplan speaks wrong. He thinks, he has understood his text, but he hasn't.
Kaplan is not bad, he has gathered eagerly in the known kabbalistical texts, much better as autorbis or me could do so, but he presents this error.
The only conclusion, that is possible: The sources of Kaplan didn't gave him a great chance to identify it. How can this be?

The structure of the Sepher Yetzirah is a great important object, a central theme for the representation. The "missing" in Kaplan's representation can only mean:

1. the old kabbalists lost the context of SY
2. Or alternatively: they avoided to talk about this perhaps as they perceived the "dualistic" aspect, and that was something what orthodox rabbis didn't like; they kept it as mystery.

Kaplan doesn't appear to beware a mystery. He gives a lot of information. If he really speaks open, then it means, that they lost it completely. It was so long kept as mystery, that finally perhaps nobody knew about the context.

The Bahir is also a pre-kabbalistic text and it also is said, that it took influence on kabbala. It also was translated by Kaplan.

The most contents seem to be rather confused, which also was the impression of Scholem.

Is it in the net? In Chapter 95:

"Add 32 to 32 and the sum is 64. These are the 64 forms. How do we know, that 32 must be added to 32? Because it is written: "For one above another watches." We thus have 64, eight less than the 72 names of the Blessed Holy One. These are alluded to in the verse, "there are ones above them", and they are the seven days of the week. But one is still missing. This is referred to in the next verse, "The advantage of the land in everything is the King."

Shall I translate in I-Ching-termini?

The King is the basic-trigram-definition-system, which has 5 princips: yin yang as the decisions or polar states, and the 3 places: earth - man - heaven.

This basic-trigram is the "creative" or heaven itself - beside it the 7 other trigram of I-Ching appear, here called "7 days of the week". And then there are the 64 forms. This are of course the 64 hexagrams of I-Ching. Somehow they seem to be parted in two groups - by which way it is decided, which hexagram belongs to which group stays open, but actually ... probably this way:
On the normal level of talking they'd reduced the symbols really to 32, that means 22 letters and 10 numbers, which by this they lived a life of their own. With this text the author tries to remember them at the older structure, which was 64 + 7 + 1 elements.
Of course the author didn't talk of the I-Ching, he talked of his own mathematical body, which he had in mind - which had the merit to be rather identical with that, what the Chinese used for I-Ching.

By this we can perceive, that it was still conscious at the Bahir. When it was lost - or "hidden" - is a totally open question.

But there is no doubt about the presence in the text of the Sepher Yetzirah. A presence, probably unknown to Kaplan.

kwaw

Re: Back to the mystery

Huck said:
:) Kwaw,

I spoke of "mysteries of SY". Mystery in this specific context means to me very clearly "at least a mystery to kwaw". .

Do we have to insult each other? As entertaiing or not as it may be. You have presented nothing so far that is a mystery to me. If you did I would have the honesty to say so. JMD has tried to soften the insults by suggesting we are all seeing different parts of the samw elephant, is that not possible?

Your 32 I ching theory has several faults, as JMD mentioned the 32 reference may quite likely be biblical; it is possibly also astrological and connected with the symbolism of the Lulav; there is also a significant and well attested correspondence between LB [32] and LU [36] [as in Lulav]. The earliest reference in Western literature to the significance of the number 32 [outside of the SY/kabalah] is by Agrippa, describing pythoagorean theories. The first chapter of the SY is probably a late redaction of the 6th to 10 centuries yet you seek to make it not only the oldest part of the SY but one that goes back to the origins of the alphabet. On the other hand the signifcance of the number 22 and its correspondence to the geometry of the circle which goes back to at least the stoics you think irrelevant [on the only grounds I presume that it would negate you own theories], depite the relationship between the SY and stoic atomism and philosophy being well attested.

I apparently, accoding to you I am willing to believe anything, except maybe you [is that my great sin?]. I have already stated to you, at your request, my own interests and viewpoint and theme which is as you admit different to your own, but nonetheless you insist on misinterpreteding them totally out of context and in relationship to your own theories. I am not responding always to your theories; but my giving for what its worth my own input to the title of the thread, as I understand it.

I find the analogies inherent between I Ching and SY of great interest, but nothing to negate or make 'wrong' past exegesis. And to judge me and insult me on the grounds that I seek to quote others in support [and inspiration] of my own speculations and insights is I think pretty petulant and worthless. I don't claim to be a big original thinker full of mysteries no one else is akin to. I am happy to be a small man, riding on the shoulders of the giants that have travelled before and with me. Sharing the view with others as I see it, without puzzles and riddles that serve no purpose than to make me seem so much more clever than anyone else, past and/or present.

Wishing you all the esteem you so think you deserve;
Kwaw

kwaw

Huck said:
This is the right interpretation:

------ begin -----
bad --------- good
3x2 directions
or 3 dimensions
of space
end

The Sephiroth 4-9 do not have the same quality as 1,2,3 .... 10, generally - if one hasn't understood that, what has he/she understood of Kabbala and of life-tree? [/B]

1,2,3 and 10 are of course of different quality to 4-6. Your begin-end, bad-good positions are shared by many kabbalists, they are 'swapped' by many others. I personally would 'swap' your positions in terms of the SY, remembering it is according to Scholem at least a gnostic text and that in such there was a sharp dualism between good and evil, spirit and matter. Plus 'beginning and end' represent time that exists within or between the infinite or spiritual axis of good and evil or towards and away from 'good' or 'god' [interpeted within a gnostic context].

Kwaw

Huck

Ross G Caldwell said:
You've written a lot and it deserves a longer reflection - printed out as you say. Especially the numbers play in the earlier post.

I have two chief criticisms, in general -

The use of the Hebrew letters as serial numbers is not attested, ever, to my knowledge. That is, 21 is written as (Kaf)(Alef), not simply the letter Shin. Shin is 300. Mem is 40, not 13 (or 12). 13 is written (Yod)(Gimel). In your theory, how would the Sefer Yetzirah write the number 300? A row of 15 Resh? (or 15 Shin?). So your special use of the numbers, even without making Alef=0, seems wrong from the start. It is completely ad hoc.

Secondly, I think the Mother letters idea is adequately explained as referring to the elemental theory - Alef is Air, since the word for Air starts with Alef; Mem is Water, since "Mayim" means water; and Shin is Fire, "esh" means fire. Alef and Shin (which is both the word for Fire and has two mother letters), with Mem in the middle.

Why isn't that an adequate explanation of why these letters are "mother" letters? (also, "ama" is mother, two mother letters).

Ross

Hm.

It was shown: There is a number-game in the SY.

Now you've three ways to react:

A. You think, it is no number-game.
B. You think, the number-game appears accidently.
C. You accept, that it is a number-game

Any other argument stands in second row. It accompanies the phenomen or not. If there is a contemporary second case known, in which a number game played a role, okay, this adds to the understanding of the phenomen. If there is no contemporary second case known, okay, this adds also to understand something. But both states don't change the phenomen.

The number is done with the row 0-21, not with schin=300. That's a phenomen, too.
Will you now go and tell the author of SY, that he shouldn't have done so? He did so, if you can explain the phenomen in your categories or not.

To the mother-letters:

Is "0 + 12 + 20 = 32" a phenomen, which looks constructed or not?

It is - my opinion - clearly a constructed number-game. The phenomen is not accidently.

And with that you can ask the question, why did the author construct the number-game, as he did it, and technically you can ask: How did he construct the number game.

"Reading" the number game, it is very clear: He first gave the position to the important pieces, and this are the "centered planet", the three mothers, and "sun" and moon" from the double letters. Then he sorted the rest of the planets according to his intentional wishes (he wished a 72 and a 127) and the 12 zodiac signs were just placed at the free remaining places, that's all.

Huck

Re: Re: Back to the mystery

kwaw said:
Do we have to insult each other?

*** No.

I am happy to be a small man, riding on the shoulders of the giants that have travelled before and with me.

*** Perhaps that's the problem. You don't like to run yourself.

*** Was this insulting? No, I try to develop your humour.

*** Perhaps you go back and read the thread again? Perhaps you misunderstood something? Or only the half of it?

Well, late here, bye.