2 of cups as outward action

think

In a recent relationship spread, the 2 of cups showed up as his outward actions and behaviour towards her. They aren't speaking, so this confused me somewhat. I said that it could mean he's content with the way things are between them (non action).

For her, it was 2 of pentacles, I wondered if that was her balancing her emotions and keeping calm (sorry if that's not allowed to mention in here, I will edit if necessary)

These were a few cards from a 15 card reading.

Barleywine

This seems to align with my idea that the Twos are about reciprocal action, like a pendulum swing; maybe he's on an "outward arc" and is presently swinging away from her. If its a "classic" 2 of Cups situation, he should swing back at some point. The ideas I use for the Twos are give-and-take, back-and-forth, up-and-down, here-and-there, in-and-out, etc, all concepts of polarity. I see them as dynamic rather than static and perpetually centered. The 2 of Pentacles (RWS version) looks even more dynamic since the man is trying to juggle while standing on one foot.

Since you have parallel instances of "Two-ness" here, you might try Paul Fenton-Smith's idea of drawing two more cards to place on each side of the Twos to see what might be "pulling" them one way or another.

think

This seems to align with my idea that the Twos are about reciprocal action, like a pendulum swing; maybe he's on an "outward arc" and is presently swinging away from her. If its a "classic" 2 of Cups situation, he should swing back at some point. The ideas I use for the Twos are give-and-take, back-and-forth, up-and-down, here-and-there, in-and-out, etc, all concepts of polarity. I see them as dynamic rather than static and perpetually centered. The 2 of Pentacles (RWS version) looks even more dynamic since the man is trying to juggle while standing on one foot.

Since you have parallel instances of "Two-ness" here, you might try Paul Fenton-Smith's idea of drawing two more cards to place on each side of the Twos to see what might be "pulling" them one way or another.

Thanks!

That is funny, she described their relationship as like a pendulum, she said that he swings to her and away, and she feels she does too, but she does only because of him. So that really makes a lot of sense and I can see how the 2 of pentacles relates to the 2 of cups in their outward actions to each other, yeah.

I'll look into that (Paul Fenton-Smith's idea) and suggest it, that's really interesting. Thanks again.

Barleywine

Thanks!

That is funny, she described their relationship as like a pendulum, she said that he swings to her and away, and she feels she does too, but she does only because of him. So that really makes a lot of sense and I can see how the 2 of pentacles relates to the 2 of cups in their outward actions to each other, yeah.

I'll look into that (Paul Fenton-Smith's idea) and suggest it, that's really interesting. Thanks again.

Thanks for the confirmation. I get a lot of mileage out of number theory and numerical correspondences. Having both Twos at work here makes me think of a kind of "dance."

think

Thanks for the confirmation. I get a lot of mileage out of number theory and numerical correspondences. Having both Twos at work here makes me think of a kind of "dance."

Wow, she described it as a dance! Today, I just mentioned your suggestion. (We did that btw and we got 7 of swords and 3 of cups - that to me says the pull is 3 of cups (he loves her) and the push is 7 of swords (bad communication, a need to leave the negative 2 of swords and keep the 'victory' 5 of swords)).

Thanks for your advice and opinion!

Barleywine

Wow, she described it as a dance! Today, I just mentioned your suggestion. (We did that btw and we got 7 of swords and 3 of cups - that to me says the pull is 3 of cups (he loves her) and the push is 7 of swords (bad communication, a need to leave the negative 2 of swords and keep the 'victory' 5 of swords)).

Thanks for the alternative idea. I was thinking of the two side cards as pulling in opposite directions, like you would get when trying to make a choice. But seeing them as "pull" and "push" is an excellent approach that I'll have to try.

tapasr_57772aeb7

The first thought that popped into my mind is he's being deceitful about his feelings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Barleywine

The first thought that popped into my mind is he's being deceitful about his feelings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Another good thought! If he's moving away he has his back to her and she can't see what he's up to.

think

Thanks for the alternative idea. I was thinking of the two side cards as pulling in opposite directions, like you would get when trying to make a choice. But seeing them as "pull" and "push" is an excellent approach that I'll have to try.

Ohh, I see. I guess I pulled the cards with that idea and they immediately made sense as one 'pull' and one 'push'. If they were two different cards, equal, say, in terms of conflict or issues or warmth, it might be more difficult to do that.

However, I'm really glad I discovered this! I'm feeling quite inspired. Thanks so much.

Barleywine

Ohh, I see. I guess I pulled the cards with that idea and they immediately made sense as one 'pull' and one 'push'. If they were two different cards, equal, say, in terms of conflict or issues or warmth, it might be more difficult to do that.

However, I'm really glad I discovered this! I'm feeling quite inspired. Thanks so much.

Now you've got me thinking here. Even in my model, depending on the cards, one could be standing firm or advancing (call it "riding the pendulum"), and the one on the other side could be conceding or retreating (perhaps "getting out of its way"), which would come across as a lop-sided push-pull situation that often appears in unstable relationships.