Question! (hand raised)

Satori

jmd listed three sites in his kabbalah sticky.
the third site says that kabbalah can answer all our questions.
can teach us how to recieve spiritual Light.
can inform us of our purpose and reason for being......

if this is true how come we don't learn kabbalah as kids?
is this is a well kept secret?
is this just marketing?

and it says kabbalah isn't really a jewish thing, it isn't just for jews or christians..... well, no but it is a jewish tradition right?

i'm confused.....

Agape

snowflake

I have a picture on my wall of a magnified snowflake pattern. Next to it I have the same but with each 'spoke' of the snowflake being the tree of life.

The tree will gradually grow and 'crystalize' for you elf, just as water gradually crystalizes into snow. This huge amount of material you have bombarded yourself with will gradually be assimilated unconsciously and eventually affect your awareness. The time frame varies for each individual as does the level of 'contact' with the tree, enjoy!

Zephyros

I may be prejudiuced here, but the Kabalah is indeed the jewish mysticism. It has undergone a sort of Christianizing over the past few hundred years, when, in the middle ages, people mostly believed that nothing good could be jewish.Over time it has of course undergone many changes, and it has become more "popular" than ever during the last decade. Madonna, or Esther as she prefers (?) to be called is in Israel right now attending a conference on the subject.

Now, I certainly don't claim to be an expert, I've only started styudying the subject, but what annoys me is the commercializing of a branch of knowledge that requires a great amount of discipline and hard work. Not that I subscribe to the supersticions surrounding it (that only men over 40 can even begin to study it otherwise they will go mad) but it has certainly become "instant Kabalah," something it should never be.

Most people on this forum would obviously sneer at anyone who said that Tarot contained the answer to all our problems or instant Tarot knowledge.

Well, as usual, I set out meaning to say something small and simple and ended up rambling alot more than I meant to.

Bottom line is, anything you set out to study you should approach it with dignity for the subject and humility. There are no instant answers.

Edited to add: I must emphasize I didn't mean anyone particularly, or this forum, which, obviously, I find fascinating.

Satori

thanks closrapexa.
I think that my question centers more around the idea that if kabbalah were the panacea for people's problems etc that it was touted on the website wouldn't more of us know about it.

Apparently as with tarot certain security measures were built in, fascinating, I had never heard about only 40 yo men studying it. I am in my 40's so I'm on target there, I just happen to be female, hence the avatar. And I think I lost my mind long ago, so I'm safe there too.

I am not looking for the Instant Kabbalah fix.
I knew getting into this that it was going to be a haul.

As for your indignation, consider something for a moment.
The asian culture has put up with Westerners diluting many different aspects of their spirituality, take Reiki for instance. Once upon a time you studied Reiki for an entire lifetime, and still maybe you never made Master. Today, anyone with a few weekends to spare and the price of admission can be a Reiki Master in about three weekends.

Now all of you Reiki practitioners calm yourselves and read on.

What if the information, the spiritual information like Reiki, martial arts, Tarot, the Kabbalah, and all of the alternative therapies, the meditation arts, etc is being made more available now to more people than ever because it is NEEDED more now than ever before?

So all of those Reiki masters and massage therapists need the information more than their clients? Or the clients coming to them really would have no other way of getting the info?

Just something to think about.....

Zephyros

I agree with everything you say, howver, my problem is this. The ancient Kabalists disguised their writings in ciphers and metaohors in order to protect the simple from misunderstanding their teachings. Now, I'm not saying that knowledge is something to be protected from the populace, but when many people get on the wagon, as it were, the messges and teachings may become falsified, perverted and corrupted. What follows is that what people actually study isn't the "real" Kabalah at all, but a "simplified" version. So few people have the patience and stamina, or indeed time, to study the subject fully.

Can it be that was is happenning now with that very same knowledge was forseen 3000 years ago? A compromise must be found, so that many people will be able to study, understand and enjoy this ancient wisdom but in its rightful form.

There, I must apologise again for another barage. And that I come out as a purist, which I am not. The fact that I am able to comment at all on this is because of the Kabalah inflation which I denounce so strongly. A paradox...

Diana

closrapexa said:
I may be prejudiuced here, but the Kabalah is indeed the jewish mysticism. It has undergone a sort of Christianizing over the past few hundred years, when, in the middle ages, people mostly believed that nothing good could be jewish.

I have heard that although the Kabbalah has become part of the Jewish tradition, that some scholars believe that it is Hellenistic in origin.

Most people on this forum would obviously sneer at anyone who said that Tarot contained the answer to all our problems

I must be one of the minority then who believe it does contain all the answers, as I believe the Tarot (of Marseilles, anyway - perhaps not the Golden Dawn rigmarole) gives us the keys of understanding.

elf's last post is wonderful.

Of course, there are always those who will use these tools for Instant "Understanding", just like people go to fast-food restaurants for Instant "Nutrition". They will eventually fall on the wayside.

But amongst all the people these tools of understanding will touch, near or far, there will be some who will be touched deeply and they will help raise the world's vibrations when the world will need it most. And that day may be coming sooner than we think.

Zephyros

Then that is the compromise I was talking about. Thank you, Diana. True, people who are enflamed by the desire to learn will, in the end, discover the deeper mysteries and secrets any system has to teach.