Confused???

Nina*

Hey :eek:)

At first i have to apologize for my english, it's really not good (i'm from Denmark) but i'll try and hope you'll understand...

For about 6 years now I have been in to tarot and as my first deck was the Thoth Tarot I quite early heard about the kabbalah and always thought it sounded more than interesting. As I understand it, it is about people and their way to 'God' and the other way too (God creating things on earth). Is this right or have i completely misunderstood? And second question: if I want to understand this, would I have to use a special deck (Thoth) or doesn't it matter?
I'm very aware that you are all far about my (little) understanding of this, but I really want to know, and hope you'll help me out...

Thanks in advance :eek:)

Nina

Fulgour

Kabbalah and Tarot are like Tennis and Badminton,
in that they can both be played using the same net.
But the similarities end where the differences begin.

jmd

I would firstly recommend books on Kabbalah which do not even mention Tarot - it is more likely that a more solid foundation will have been built with regards to understanding some aspects of the wisdom of Kabalah.

In English (and in Hebrew), there are those books by Aryeh Kaplan and Moshe Idel which I would foremost recommend.

Being in Denmark, and into Tarot, you may also find the opportunity of paying a visit to Frank Jensen's wonderful place of Tarot.

His personal collection of 20th century Tarot is the most extensive in the world... and his cordiality and knowledge as extensive :)

Nina*

Thank you very much for your help.
I will try to look up the two books you recommend. Never heard of them before. I only have a book by Robert Wang called 'Qabalistic Tarot' and don't really know if it is any good...?

I understand that you think it would be better to learn about kabalah in its own before trying to combine it with tarot and of course I trust that it's because it will be the best way to 'get it', it's just that I'm so fond of tarot and therefore would love to see and understand the connection... But I'll do as I'm told :eek:)

I know Frank Jensen (not personally) and read his book and also his webside but have never visited his tarotplace. That I will really concider now (I know it's in a town called Roskilde, which is only about 10 km from where I live...)

Thanks again

Zephyros

I believe Kabbalah is a philosophy, a way of life. A way towards a goal, if you will. Now, in many such philosophies, the goal is the same goal, even if the path is different.

As for books, well, it all depends what you want to get out of it. If you want to improve your Tarot skills only, then Tarot-oriented books on the subject is your way to go. If you want to study Kabbalah for the sake of itself, then there are many "user-friendly" books that are excellent.

fyreflye

-delete-

Nina*

Once again I'd like to thank you all for your help. I would never have known where to start in this (huge) subject without your recommandations.

Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do

Huck

Studying Kabbala ...

Gerschom Scholem is good - probably the best.

Large Jewish dictionaries - receivable in University library - are good, too. specifically that, whose kabbala-articles are written by Gerschom Scholem - again.

But ... Gerschom Scholem's idea of "historical kabala" has not much to do with Tarot.

Nina*

Still... very gratefull for all your help, BUT....

if you, Huck, tell me that for instance Gerschom Scholem's idea of kabalah 'has not much to do with Tarot', then whose idea has??

My point is: I'm very interested in knowing more about and understanding kabalah, but my main interest is tarot, and therefore I would prefer to know about who to read in that case...

It's not that I don't want to read all the books you recommend, it's just that, living in Denmark... They don't exist, not even in a library. I would have to order and buy them all and my finances unfortunately don't allow that...