good Kabbalah book suggestions?

Oni

I m recently trying to learn more about Jewish Mysticism and alot of the books i have read have ither been crappy or like approach Kabbalah more from a western tradition standpoint. I m looking for some books that r more of the Hebrew, Jewish standpoint, not Golden Dawn or anything like that. I m more familar with Judaism, so that is more into that view of Kabbalah, although i m not of that faith. I just know almost nothing of Christianity so that makes it doublely hard. I know that Kabbalah with a K is considered more Jewish, Cabbalah with a C is christan and Qabbalah with a Q is more western mystery trad but i dont know. he hee!

any suggests would be of great help!

thanks

fyreflye

-delete-

Fulgour

KABBALAH DECODER
Revealing the Messages of the Ancient Mystics
by JANET BERENSON-PERKINS

reviewed by Steve McCardell

http://www.newtimes.org/issue/0103/decoder.htm

"Kabbalah Decoder is a beautifully designed and illustrated book that, like so many others today, introduces us to the basics of Kabbalah. There are some important differences, however, that do make this a unique work, and one from which a beginning student may gain a lot."

"First among these differences is that many of today’s titles are written from a Christian, alchemical, or other approach, whereas this one roots itself in the traditional Judaic approach. One won’t find Tree of Life (the traditional Kabbalistic glyph) associations with tarot, for instance, though the book does include a chapter showing how Kabbalah relates to a number of different mystical teachings."

"Another difference from many titles is that, unlike those merely explaining the Kabbalah, this takes the more traditional approach of Jewish study, helping one to learn through questions."

primaryreality

There's a really excellent set of tapes on the Kaballah by Rabbi David Cooper. It's called: The Mystical Kaballah: Judaism's Ancient System for Mystical Exploration Through Meditation and Contemplation. It doesn't mention the tarot, of course, but if you want a clear and very accessible presentation of Jewish mysticism, I highly recommend it. You can get it used on Amazon pretty cheaply:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1564552896/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

jmd

Without any question, I would recommend books by:
  • G. Scholem - this provides a good historical foundation;
    A. Kaplan - this provides for solid foundations as to exegetic treatment; and
    M. Idel - this provides for 'ongoing working materials'
Of course there are others.