How do you choose an Oracale Deck

Open Arms

I am thinking about expanding my collection of Oracles and after joining this forum I have found out just how many there are! So I was wondering - how do you choose which decks you will buy?

Word of mouth?
Reviews?
Feel?

I don't have a lot of money to spend but I am interested to know how others find their decks.

~ Blessings and Light ~

Aulruna

All of the above :D and more.

I often ask myself:

- Do I want a deck for divination, self-empowerment/meditation, addressing a specific theme (working with angels or faeries, finding your power animal, etc.)

- Do I want a deck with a system/structure (and a potentially steep learning curve), or is an intuitive, visually provoking deck what I seek

After that, I'll always try to see the deck before I buy it, so I'll go to a store with a good range of decks or browse the net.

BodhiSeed

As I don't live near any shops that carry oracle cards, I rely on the scans posted here in the Oracle section or check out those listed under the Cards section. I have to be attracted to a deck before I buy it; if I keep going back, again and again, to look at the scans of a certain deck, that usually means I'll be getting it soon! :D I like to try and pair my tarot decks with an oracle (I usually draw a summary card from an oracle after I do a tarot reading every morning). For instance, I have both the Victorian Romantic and the Victorian Flower that I use together. Some pair up very nicely, even though they weren't meant to go together, such as the Rune Cards by Linsell and Partridge and the Tarot of Timeless Truth. Have fun oracle shopping!

Bodhran

HearthCricket

I factor in several things when buying an oracle deck. What is the theme and is it one I am interested in? How is the artwork and does it attract or challenge me? Is it fairly consistent throughout the deck or does it waver? What are the meanings of each card and are they written all on each card or is there a keyword and the rest in a book (my preference). What is the paper quality?

I will look at some reviews both here on AT, on the forum and deck section, as well as Amazon. But ultimately I pick a deck soley for myself and how well I will be able to use it. I also prefer oracles with a goodly amount of cards. If a deck only has, say, 25 cards, there is much for variety and growth. I prefer the ones with 40-60 cards in the deck.

Enjoy your search! I hardly ever used oracles until the past year or so and suddenly they are a huge part of my readings, whether for a daily pick or used in conjunction with a tarot reading. I'm hooked!

willowfox

Art work

Reviews

Elven

I started collecting Oracles out of need.
Do you know what you're trying to explore with Oracles? Sometimes defining your reason for wanting an Oracle can help :)
What do you connect with, or already have a base understanding of? You may want to stretch out and study something new, but there are many topical Oracles available.
Do you like cards or prefer branching to something like Runes, bones or stones? (some Oracles come in both formats)
Do you like a certain artist?

You may want to just stroll through the Oracle cards and see which ones get your attention, and go from there. There are so many variants.
Maybe if you select a few and then ask around on the thread how people found them, and what benefit, restrictions, favours etc, they see in that particular deck.

But maybe go with purpose and intention first - For what purpose do you want the Oracle to fulfill, and what do you intend to do, gain, benefit from it :)

There are a few Oracles, both made with cards or bones, shells or stones, which you can make yourself as well.

Just some thoughts ...

Have fun checking them all out :D

Blessings Elven x

Guiding Cauldron

oracles, i love my oracle decks i find them simple and easy to use but they still pack a punch with readings. :)

i look for images i can relate well to

decks that i can use on my path of healing so i usually go for nature based decks or angels and fae.

i MUST think on a deck BEFORE i buy, kinda challenges myself to think long and hard as I too never relaly have much money to spend on a deck :) if i keep going back to the deck or think of i often then i ususally know its agood one for me :)

before i buy a deck i try to find as many pics as possible of teh deck if theres even one picture i dont like- i dont get that deck.

i find some decks are REALLY great in easing you into the oracle realm- like doreen virtue decks. then after you get the basics you can use a more complecated deck of your inspirations.

have fun finding yours :)

Gavriela

I see from the profile that our OP is a Lenormand freak. So am I :D

1) If you like Lenormand, you might like the Italian sibillas, or Kipper/Leiding karten (the Leiding is an updated and softer colour version of the original Kipperkarten). They all can be used in card-combination systems. Of course, the possibilities are endless in the realm of 32-52 card playing-card-based decks.

2) Anything created by our resident genius Chronata.

3) Artwork and theme. I wanted a fairies deck, got the Froud one - I'd like some of Sulamith Wulfing's oracle cards, but more to look at than to read with, because I love her fantastical art. The couple of angels decks I own mostly have art from classical paintings, and they're really lovely. Symbolon uses a lot of alchemical and astrological art, but then flips to Jung for interpretations - I get more out of the astrology and alchemy without the Jungian overlay. I'm lusting over l'Oracle de Triade for both artwork and symbolism (in my dreams).

4) Historical. Like the Petit Etteilla, etc., but that mostly came about by looking at what was around when Mme Lenormande was alive.

As a rule, it either has to be usable, gorgeous, or historical. If it's all three, then it's a must-buy (hence the many Lenormand variants I've got, and my love for Chronata's stuff).

ana luisa

It has to "click". And you´ll be the only one who knows what you heart is looking for. Personally, I only read reviews for quality of deck . If an oracle grabs your attention and if this interest doesn´t leave you , then, it´s your deck. Have a look at some here on AT and other sites ( if you want, I can refer you to some). Imagine yourself reading with them. If the language flows and you feel empowered by them, that´s a good indication.

94stranger

Try this?

I guess I'm in a slightly different position to those who've made interesting contributions here, as I'm the AUTHOR of an oracle deck. My cards are called Rainring, there are 81 in the online version, with 94 in the hard copy one, which is much more complex.
I don't really know whether they could be used effectively in conjunction with the tarot, but I guess tarot users would be able to work that out.