4 of Swords

Parzival

Rider-Waite-Smith 4 of Swords

An interesting feature of this image is the way it is sub-divided into enclosing boxes or rectangles--- the stained glass is split into two down the middle ; the three downpointing swords are boxed in ; the single sword at the bottom is rectangled in. All this suggests a prior breaking apart of thought, a stress of thoughts pulling in different directions, separated off from each other. The three swords in their box weigh down over the reclining figure's heart and head. The lower sword is split off far below and under him. He's taking a time out to rest and restore after a mental collapse or breakdown. That's why he's praying. The outcome seems hopeful, if he truly "prepares to be" as judylea 1 beautifully put it. But he's got to "let it be" for awhile.

Amandajane

Wow Frank Hall I had noticed the rectangles before but I certainly had never thought of it in the context you have,it certainly is something that I will ponder.

Grizabella

I read somewhere a long time ago in some book or other where it told of the old custom (from the Crusades or way back like that) of a soldier home from battle spending time lying in his coffin reflecting on his life, or some such. I wish I could remember where I read it, because I think that's the closest guess as to why this card is depicted this way by the artist. Maybe she knew of that old custom.

psychic sue

I recently sufferred from Agoraphobia (I'm better now) and this card always came up for me - a retreat into my own world. However, I think I was so stressed and so pressurised that it was my body's way of making me stop and rest.

rcb30872

Hi

Amazingly enough I have just posted in the thread about Temperance and The Hermit, and I can't get over how like The Hermit is to the Four of Swords. I also see the Four of Swords as a time to spend in solitude, to spend on introspection and reflection to gain greater self-awareness, and spirituality would be an important issue here as he is lying in a church.

Ros, thank you very much about the synchronicity of the cards. I'm not entirely sure how Five of Swords can follow Four of Swords, but I can see how Four of Swords can follow Three of Swords. In Three of Swords you are faced with a situation or circumstance would have to be dealt with or could be an end to something and has caused you pain, sorrow and heartache. Then the next card is the Four of Swords is time when you need to spend in solitude to rest after a difficult time. Afterall, I am sure that we all need a "grieving process" before jumping on the bandwagon again so to speak. Since we are going through a grieving process after the Three of Swords, the image in the Four of Swords is a very apt one, if you can see that it is like a person laid out for viewing during a funeral, in a round about way.

Bec

squeakmo9

ros said:
My first thoughts on this card in a reading was a need for rest.
If you look at the 3 of Swords and then the 5 of Swords mabee I'm wrong.
Healing after heartache or preparing for an argument.

When these three cards are side by side I see...
3 of swords as clear heartbreak or inability to move on,
4 of swords as reflecting on what transpired,
5 of swords as taking care in not hurting other as well as not allowing yourself to be wounded in the same manner again.
This is just my take:)