Morgan Greer - the "inside" cards

Pipistrelle

I've returned to my Morgan Greer lately and have rediscovered how it is the Best Deck in the World Ever. :D

I'm doing an informal 'whole deck' study and thought I would paste some bits here as and when I've completed them to hopefully glean insight from others. At the moment I'm looking at the backgrounds. This post is about cards that are depicted inside/indoors which are surprisingly rare.

Only 8 of the 78 cards (just over 10%) are set indoors. They are:

The Hierophant
Justice
9 of Cups
4 of Swords
3 of Pentacles
5 of Pentacles
8 of Pentacles
10 of Pentacles

Perhaps this reflects real life, where most of our affairs are conducted ‘outdoors’, in public or in view of other people. We have little privacy, and much of what we do is in response to outside influence and interference. We act in the world, not in isolation of it.

Notably, half of these ‘indoor’ cards are Pentacles. This suit deals with the material realm – money, work, shelter – so it makes sense for the cards to be brought inside or into the home.

The Hierophant is in a chamber that is only accessible through invitation or permission. It is guarded by keys. Secrets and higher knowledge are discussed her. Only those who are willing to learn should be admitted.

Justice, too, must operate in private. Her judgements must not be influenced by anything unnecessary or irrelevant. Only the facts can be permitted. Judges and jury withdraw to weigh up the facts and consider their verdicts.

The 9 of Cups depicts a private celebration of personal achievement or attainment. Others are welcome to join in the celebrations but the achievements are all yours. Personal inner happiness.

The 4 of Swords shows a knight resting indoors, but the large window shows the outdoors world is waiting and must be returned to. The window also offers an opportunity to let in some air and clear one’s mind – to rest and recharge batteries before resuming the good fight.

The 5 of Pentacles could actually be indoors or outdoors – traditionally, the figures are outside walking past a church but it’s not clear from the Morgan Greer image. I debated whether to include it here. All we see is the wall and the window, which increases the sense of claustrophobia and isolation for the figures in the card.

The 8 of Pentacles shows a man absorbed in his work. This mode of complete and utter immersion in a task requires a person to remove themselves from distraction and diversions.

In the 10 of Pentacles, the viewer is outside but the figures are inside. The reader is outside looking in. It’s like an exclusive club of privilege and ‘who you know’. The crossed flagpoles bar entry - perhaps to anyone who doesn't have the 'right' credentials. The figures are shielded, protected.

Sulis

Hi Pipistrelle,

I've just started using my Morgan Greer deck again too. I've just got the small version in a tin and I love it. I've never really carried a deck with me but this one is in my bag and I'm playing with it often.. It's great.

I've never gone through the cards to see which were outdoors or indoors but I've just done it and you're right, it is mostly Pentacle cards - that makes sense to me too.

Just to add a little bit to what you've said:

I love your thoughts on the cards, especially your observations about the window in the 4 Swords.. I've never given that window much thought before now but you're right, it's like an invitation to the outside world, that must be returned to soon and I love the thought that an open window lets some air in to clear the mind..

The 5 Pentacles in this deck has always been a very healing card for me. I like to relate the Minors back to the Majors of the same number so I think of the 5s as aspects of The Hierophant. The lady in the card seems to be comforting the wounded guy and she looks as if she could be some sort of priestess or nun. I love the way the stained glass window is actually the pentacle showing comfort, solidity, stability and shelter and also that it looks like a Pagan pentagram (all the elements ruled over by Spirit); a protective symbol. I've always loved this card, it says so much more to me than the RWS version.

The 10 Pentacles is a card of long term security for me. It's about legacy and the big, thick castle wall with the crossed flagpoles barring the way really conveys that message well.. This is secure, stable, something you've taken a long time and worked hard to achieve.