Unicursal Hexagram

ravenest

Frank Hall said:
But how does a reader work with this image? Its patterns and colors? What specifically does it reveal? Maybe I'll put it back in the pack.

Mines in. (R & B one) For me it reperesents nodes of high magical energy about to occur. What this means is modified by the reading and cards in aspects. For example it could be surrounded by 'good' cards and Wheel of Fortune etc, magical energy is about to manifest in x way.

If there seems to be great problems the card can suggest a magical solution. The hexagram is a ritual mnemonic device used to banish and invoke planetary energies, a magican, even with a bad aspected Saturn (eg) theoretically can deal with that by the first formula, banishing Saturn, or the second, invoking and balancing or anihilating it via mergence (love).

Somethimes the card seems to be saying, well, if you are a magician, why are you in this situation DO something about it. or it might be reminding you or revealing to you that you ARE a magican and CAN take control of the energies.

The pattern means that it is a novel new way of casting or drawing the pentagram. casting GD Hexagrams (based on the Star of David hexagram) are a bit wierd to cast in ritual situations, the unicursal is all in one line and easier and clearer.

I love red and black. Black is the color of infinate space and night and the possibiltiy of all potential, red is the color of blood, life and activity, put them together and you have everything. They are also the colors of Horus.

Yeah, whack it back in ... at least for a time ... and see what happens.

clbzkl

I recently discovered the thought you could use it; I figured it was a Magick seal to instill the deck with A.C. intentions, which it is but much more.

There are theories concerning the Uni-hexagram. If you trace it with your finger you see that you cant draw it either clockwise or counter. So explaining how you can not invoke or banish as you can the Pentagram; you sacrifice your power and submit to will of what must be. This exaggerates the possible of "if". The if inside life. Anything goes and the best bet for you is to go along with it.

That is the purpose in my deck. If it shows up you know it is time to accept responsibility. You can not do anything except what you are doing and thus go with the flow; keeping your eyes would be quite important as if it was a daily card. The day would be highly important in some aspect even if you dont see it then.

ravenest

clbzkl said:
There are theories concerning the Uni-hexagram. If you trace it with your finger you see that you cant draw it either clockwise or counter. So explaining how you can not invoke or banish as you can the Pentagram; you sacrifice your power and submit to will of what must be. This exaggerates the possible of "if". The if inside life. Anything goes and the best bet for you is to go along with it.

I confused the issue above by refering to GD PENTagrams when I meant GD HEXagrams (now re-edited).

But now I am confused by your post (maybe also typos?)

Why cant it be drawn clockwise or counter?

"So explaining how you can not invoke or banish as you can the Pentagram; you sacrifice your power and submit to will of what must be. "

Does this statement still hold for you if pentagram is changed to hexagram?

(Again sorry for confusion, my mistake)

If so, how is power sacrificed?

Lillie

Am I confused?

Are we talking about the unicursal hexagram here?
the one on the card in the thoth deck?

Because that cannot be traced either clockwise or anti clockwise, not in the sense that a pentagram can be.

try it.
Go up the top point in a clockwise direction, then, once you have done the cross over in the centre, you find yourself going into the bottom point in the opposite direction.
It's true. I just tried.

I don't know what meaning it has, but still, it's true.
It's a bit like the other side of a mobius strip.
It's not there, even though you can see it.

Sedi

As I understand it, the 'direction' would be decided by which is your jumping off point and initial direction.

Imagine the six points of the star. Start at the top an number clockwise. A positive/benificent star would take the following sequence1, 3, 6, 4, 2, 5. A negative invocation would reverse this sequence.

Unicursal merely refers to the fact that no pathway is travelled twice and the pen does not have to be removed from the paper.

The invoking and banishing rituals of the hexagram do not use the unicursal hexagram.

ravenest

Sedi said:
As I understand it, the 'direction' would be decided by which is your jumping off point and initial direction.
Yeah, or other systems one comes up with.
But I see what Lille means, you cant trace them in one direction like you can a pentagram - and thats my confusion for writng 5 instead of 6.
Sedi said:
Unicursal merely refers to the fact that no pathway is travelled twice and the pen does not have to be removed from the paper.
Yep, and thats what I mean when I say they are easier to trace than the hexagrams USUALLY attributed (all made of 2 seperate triangles)
Sedi said:
The invoking and banishing rituals of the hexagram do not use the unicursal hexagram.

Not in the books they dont, but I cant see why it cant be used with the planets as in each planetary hexagram (in the Golden dawn system for example) it is just a 'Star of David' type of hexagram with the planets symbol in the middle.

isthmus nekoi

I thought this symbol was derived from the tree of life by adding 4 extra "secret" paths (kether to chesed/geburah, binah-chesed and chokma-geburah). Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the significance of this would be.

ravenest

Yeah, I think it can be derived that way, and that may be what some people give as the main significance of this card.

But what are 'secret pathways'? Perhaps they are paths not normaly shown on the Tree of Life that we add? And we all have our own reason. The main ones are visualised as they seem to make the tree more balanced and symetrical.

Perhaps a card divinatory meaning can be drawn from that? In a roundabout way that can be seen as being similar to the magical, banishing/invoking idea above (ie. the 'magician' should be able to influence and balance his environment and conciousness)

The most obvious is probably drawing an 'X' through Daath linking Chok & G and B & Ches.

However you can also draw a normal hexagram on the Tree as well.

Crowley seems to make the point that the lines have no thickness, they are only 2 dimensional. Perhaps that somehow gives the symbol other significance?

Lillie

ravenest said:
Crowley seems to make the point that the lines have no thickness, they are only 2 dimensional. Perhaps that somehow gives the symbol other significance?

Yeah!

Every time I read that 'the lines are strictly Euclidean, they have no readth' bit, I wonder what the hell he means.

Too clever by half, that's what I think.

isthmus nekoi

ravenest said:
But what are 'secret pathways'? Perhaps they are paths not normaly shown on the Tree of Life that we add? And we all have our own reason. The main ones are visualised as they seem to make the tree more balanced and symetrical.

I'm not sure who adds them but yes, they're all the other possible connections b/w the sephira that are not illustrated by the standard 22 paths.

Another possible meaning: "The hexagram is often associated with the seven ancient planets, but in the first form this fact may not be as evident as in this form.
The second form has a more natural flow, when dealing with the planets. The planetary assignments to the points of the hexagram is the same in both versions, but placing the sun in the center of the second form makes more sense than in the first form.
This form corresponds very well to the central parts of the Etz Chaiim; the sun placed in the center at the point of Tiferet, with the planets spread out according to the sefirot. Saturn is placed at the top in the position Daat. Jupiter is placed at the top right in the position of Hesed. Mars is placed at the top left in the position of Din. The lower left position of the hexagram is attributed to mercury, in the position of Hod. The lower right position is attributed to Venus; the position of Netzach in the Etz Chaiim. The lowest point of the hexagram is attributed to the moon; the position of Yesod in the Etz Chaiim." [from http://www.conjurer.org/?id=symbols]

The wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicursal_Hexagram