What Was the Golden Dawn's Magical Formula?

Abrac

From what I understand, Crowley's conviction was that the magical formula, "Do what thou wilt," was to supersede the Golden Dawn's complex system of rituals. Does anyone know what the GD's magical formula was called or if it even had a name? I don't recall ever hearing anything specific.

ravenest

Hmmm

Interesting ... I dont recall it either. I could probably sunarise it myself. (sorry, couldn't resist that one) ... But my summary isnt what you are after.

perhaps it constantly changed, like their 'password' did each equinox, giving a new formulae for that period.

I'll have a flick through the G.D. book when I get home ... but I don't recall seeing it before.

Grigori

A wild guess with no basis in research or actual knowledge, but maybe "Konx Om Pax" or a variation thereof.

I did recently read something referring to INRI and IAO in that context also, but for the life of me can't remember where I read it, or what it was in connection to (apart from I was looking into features of the BRH at the time).

Abrac

similia said:
A wild guess with no basis in research or actual knowledge, but maybe "Konx Om Pax" or a variation thereof.
Yes, there could be something to that. The phrase was important enough to be included in the back design of the Golden Dawn Tarot. I'll have to get my GD book out tomorrow and see what I can find.

Abrac

On the backs of the GD Tarot are three phrases- Khabs Am Pekht, Konx Om Pax and Light In Extension. Apparently these all mean the same thing in different languages- Egyptian, Greek and English respectively. On page 347 of The Golden Dawn it says: "Their significance implies, by various Qabalistic methods of analysis, as well as by certain reading of the Coptic and Egyptian heiroglyphics, 'Light in Extension' or 'May Light be extended in Abundance upon you.'" I couldn't find anything that said this was THE GD magical formula but to me it sums up their philosophy as good as anything.

Before Crowley, magic had been practiced the same way for centuries. The inner state of the magus was irrelevant; as long as certain formulas were followed in the prescribed manner and the correct words said, the heavens would open and shine its Light upon you. This was also the GD's approach. Crowley's formula was different; it placed the emphasis upon the subjective inner state of the magus. To me, this is one of Crowley's most important contributions, if not THE most.

kwaw

YHShVH

Light in extention may be related to the formula of the Golden Dawn in as much as we may take, if we allow the order did have an overal formula, that which it termed the 'formula of magical light'; the goal of initiation and the magicians practices being to illuminate the soul by divine light; the various practices performed by the magician as part of the formula of light was categorised under the letters of the divine name YHShVH.

Formula of the Magic of Light: the practical magic of the Golden Dawn as classified under the five letters of the Pentagrammaton-YHShVH. Evocations and invocations fall under the category of the Hebrew letter Yod and the element of Fire. Consecrations of Talismans and the production of natural phenomena are classified under the second letter Heh and the element of water. All works of spiritual development, and transformations are attributed to the letter Shin and the element of spirit. All works of divination are assigned to the letter Vav and the element of air. All works of alchemy are classified under the final letter Heh and the element of earth. (See Pentagrammaton.)

http://wolf.mind.net/library/ancient/qabala/kabgloss.htm

Rosanne

I had some vague idea the formula was Hekas este Bebeloi...
and I thought Crowleys was the Aramic Abrahadabra but I suppose those are invocations not formula. ~Rosanne

Abrac

Rosanne said:
I had some vague idea the formula was Hekas este Bebeloi...
and I thought Crowleys was the Aramic Abrahadabra but I suppose those are invocations not formula. ~Rosanne
From what I've read, Abrahadabra was Crowley's 'Word' of the New Aeon. Hekas este Bebeloi was a call used for banishing I believe.

The more I think about it, this whole business of specials 'words' and 'formulas' as guiding principles over designated periods of time may have originated with Crowley as well. I don't recall ever hearing of anything similar before him.

kwaw

"My soul wanders in darkness and I seek the Light of the hidden Knowledge".

"... in the Golden Dawn of the Infinite Light, in which the Soul is transfigured, knows all, and can do all, for it is made One with the Eternal God.

KHABS AM PEKHT
KONX OM PAX
LIGHT IN EXTENSION!​

Last paragraph of Golden Dawn manuscript Pillars II by Frater N.O.M. (Westcott).

Grigori

Abrac said:
Before Crowley, magic had been practiced the same way for centuries. The inner state of the magus was irrelevant; as long as certain formulas were followed in the prescribed manner and the correct words said, the heavens would open and shine its Light upon you. This was also the GD's approach. Crowley's formula was different; it placed the emphasis upon the subjective inner state of the magus. To me, this is one of Crowley's most important contributions, if not THE most.

I don't think Crowley was the first in this was he? I'd say Crowley developed furthest those ideas and made them central to his work, but the ideas were likely introduced to "modern" magic when Mathers translated Abramelin. And of I suspect the same ideas were carried back into the GD and greatly expanded on by Regardie, probably from Crowley's influence on him. So they are much stronger in current GD stuff than before Crowley certainly.

Hekas! Hekas! Este! Bebeloi! is a banishing at the start of any ritual. Its like the polite way to ask someone to leave of their own accord, before you get security to kick them out with the big guns :D It means "Be ye far, all ye profane" (in Greek I think).