Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

thorhammer

zan_chan said:
Just got in a christmas/hanukkah gift from mom (its hanukkah now so i wasnt cheating by opening early!) which she took right from my amazon wishlist. A couple of books I'm very excited to get to: "Chief Seattle: Man of Vision" and "Awakening Osiris: The Egyptian Book of the Dead".

As, I'm assuming, most who work with the Haindl would agree, the courts pose quite a number of questions in interpretive terms. Should you read them intuitively? Should you read them in terms of traditional courts? Should you read them entirely based on the different mythological figures Haindl chose?

The answer, I suppose, is "yes" to all three of those ideas. It's just figuring out exactly how to best combine those different styles that I'm working on figuring out. For now I'm just trying to learn as much about each figure as I can; who they are, what their story is, things like that.
I think you're coming at it from the right angle. I did a bit of research as I went along with my Wheel of Change deck, into the cultures referenced and suchlike, and that research gets under your skin and becomes a part of your understanding of the card, whether you consciously call upon it or not. That's what I try to tell people about the IDS - that you can gain so much from *study* and research so that you broaden your knowledge and experience base enough to improve your readings and the way you relate to your cards. I'm glad to hear that you're getting so much out of it :)
Hmm, paid readings, huh Kat? That would be wonderful to be able to do someday. Having deck buying pay for itself would be awfully nice...
It doesn't. Not by a LONG shot. But it keeps me sharp - or it would, if I got enough custom. I think I've done about six this year, three for the same person (the person I read for this morning). But it's better than nothing - I certainly wouldn't be able to fund my buying habit with it, though! :joke: Particularly given my rather top-shelf taste in decks :D

\m/ kat

Madame Squee

Oh, this is so exciting and new! Thank you very much, Kat.

Okay, this is the absolute perfect time to change my deck instead of marking the days until...

Please change me to the Golden Botticelli.

Thank you!

:heart:
Red Queen

thorhammer

'Tis done :) I'm looking forward to hearing what you make of that deck. Are you planning on studying the iconography of that period of art in order to see if it marries up with the deck itself?

\m/ Kat

sapienza

Hi All. I'm down on the original list as IDS'ing with Dame Fortune's Wheel. I actually put this on hold at some stage during the last thread as this deck inspired me to return to working with historical decks. So, what now? For the coming year I'm planning to foucs on two decks. The Marseille and the Thoth. A bit of a crazy combination I know. I tend to swing between the two and for me personally, I need them both. When I get swamped with the esoteric and occult ideas of the Thoth I find respite in the historic decks. Working with the historic decks give me a solid grounding that really helps me when I return to the Thoth. I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense but I've begun to notice a pattern of swinging between Golden Dawn and historic decks and so am going to consiously focus on these two from now rather than flitting around with all my others. I'm not sure if this is going to fit in with the idea of an IDS, but if it does, then can you please change me to these decks in the original post.

thorhammer

I'll change it now, sapienza :) I see totally what you mean by the contrast between the Thoth and the TdM. Either on their own would probably be too much for me, too, but each relieving the tension created by the other is a nice balance.

\m/ Kat

ETA: Any particular TdM?

rwcarter

Update on this post from the last thread. I've gotten my desks cleaned off and I've chosen my card for the top of the box I'm going to make.

I asked "What card wants to be on the top of the box I'm going to make for the deck?" and went through my normal shuffling process. And the winner is.... 4 Pentacles! My initial reaction was, "Um. Okaaaaaaayyyyyyy......" I'll have to think on the significance of that one for a bit.

I'm still running diagnostics on my desktop, so I probably am not going to get a chance to make the box until after the 18th, when I'll be off work for two whole weeks!

Rodney

thorhammer

Lucky you!!! I will probably be off for about ten days but might still end up working. If I do work over Christmas, I will think about shouting myself a brand new shiny Mac computer :D . . . if I don't, I'll settle for a Kindle.

The Four of Pentacles is interesting. It might suggest that your deck holds secrets from you yet that you aren't aware of. New insights abound, if you only have the patience to work for them!

\m/ Kat

sapienza

thorhammer said:
I'll change it now, sapienza :) I see totally what you mean by the contrast between the Thoth and the TdM. Either on their own would probably be too much for me, too, but each relieving the tension created by the other is a nice balance.
Yes, balance, that's what I'm after.

thorhammer said:
ETA: Any particular TdM?
:) I've decided to leave it at just TdM for now. When I work with these decks I tend to do a lot of comparison and so I think it's unrealistic for me to say just one in particular. I know I'm really stretching the whole idea of an IDS but I do think it's going to work well for me and keep me more focused than having no structure at all. Well, at least I hope so.

Bring on the BALANCE :D

Wendywu

Good morning gang.

Hi Kat - all hail our glorious new leader <is there a bowing gracefully icon?>

I am seeing, more and more, the relevance of comparisons between blacksmithing and real life. The patience, determination, concentration and ability to work really hard for hours on end at something many might not realise took so much effort.

And the things shown on the cards - I am so grateful for this deck.

I enjoy each and every opportunity to use it. Oddly it's like karate in many ways. I loved that so much - so many years and years of training to get where I did; it was my life in many ways. And this deck is like that. Different aspects, different stories - so incredibly honest. On the fighting mats you know someone deeply and thoroughly - this deck feels like that. And it took years to reach first dan grade (black belt) - which after all only means "first step" - and so it suddenly clicked with me that once I reach the stage of being able to pick this deck up and understand its symbolism and where its coming from - then, the work begins in learning where it can actually take me.

thorhammer

Wendywu said:
I am seeing, more and more, the relevance of comparisons between blacksmithing and real life. The patience, determination, concentration and ability to work really hard for hours on end at something many might not realise took so much effort.
I know just what you mean. In one of my incarnations, I was a jillaroo on a huge cattle station in the wild Northern Territory, which demanded, among other things, that I shoe my work horses and keep their feet in working condition. Blacksmithing and farrying go hand in hand, and while I discovered I had no gift for shoeing, I found that bending iron under my hands and hammers was a doddle for me. It's one of the (thus far useless) talents I've discovered in myself :D but I do see the parallels, and I remember from my brief time with the IronWing that it really is a most cohesive and powerful deck.

I'm glad it's fitting you well, my dear :)

*bows back*

\m/ Kat