"Medieval Chihuahua Tarot" ...completed...

tarotlyn

Ok. Here's my thinking.

If the Jumbo and Regular size decks are great, and the smallest deck is not really so great, I wonder if it's worth the trouble of offering the smallest one. It's only a seven dollar difference and that's not so much. If you're trying to keep costs lower for buyers and planning to ship these yourself, you might be able to shave a dollar or two off the US domestic shipping, even including the cost of a dollar-store padded envelope. (The flat-rate box makes sense for something small and very heavy). At any rate, I would consider dropping the small-size option, to encourage people to buy the better ones rather than the false economy of a cheaper but less fun deck.

eta: thanks to moongypsy I've just deleted a long elaborate confusion :laugh:
:heart:Debra, thank you...that makes sense about the smaller deck. Probably i should drop
it from the list. But i will keep the regular size and the jumbo size.
And thank you for the idea of the dollar store padded envelopes as i didn't
even realize they had them. i will have to check the one and only local dollar store in town...LOL

Don't forget that i sill have to buy bubble wrap and bags for the decks, but won't be adding
those costs to the purchase because they are probably not too much anyway. Maybe the
dollar store has bubble wrap too.

Oh, and i will still offer the priority shipping as a lot of people prefer that. In many years
i have never had a problem with priority mail getting to me or from me.
Thank you for bringing up these things :heart:

Debra, Lyn said in the really long post--#603:

"3. There will be NO extra cards, because of printing costs (excepting the intro card and my thank you card)"

So, she is only including one Tower, and one Pinto. :heart:

It is a bit confusing and hard to keep up with all the different versions and final card decisions, etc.

Hugs and Blessings,
MG xxx
:heart: My sis, it is too bad i can't add the extra cards i wanted to, but one more card added in
and the deck goes up almost 2 more dollars because of the way TGC only puts so many card on each sheet!

Been gone all day! But here am I and ready to share my thoughts....;)

I agree with Debra the small deck is not worth adding as an option, knowing that the quality will not be there. It will look like as if you had not done a good job, even though the real reason is that they were not meant to be downsized. People would be attracted by the price, but even if you warn them that the quality won't be as it should, and they say they are fine with it; you can be sure to have some of them complain in the end...
Thus, if I were you I would not offer the small size.

The Jumbo size might not be the one that will sell the most because of the price and size. If people buy the deck to read with it, there will be those who will find the cards awkward in their hands. For those who will buy it just for collection they might go for a Jumbo but how many of them that will make? Because even in the collectors there will be those who want a "traditional Tarot size"...

Personally, I think that the regular size is best because it is what a Tarot is supposed to be.

But my opinion comes only from what I know from friends, from the customer reviews I read about diverse Tarots, and my own preferences....;)

For the price, I think that $25 or $27 maximum for the regular size deck would be best; but again I have no clue about self-published Tarots. Today, I was at my local stores and I looked up the prices of the Tarots that were on display and the most expensive was $18.99, then if you buy a box set Book/Tarot it was $24.99. In that case people pay the tax but no shipping...Thus, it all depends on the kind of customers you will have.

Debra's idea about reducing the shipping cost by using a padded envelope is worth looking into it. It might bring the cost down, but I guess if you want to make sure you'll have to pack a deck and let the post office tell you what it would cost to ship it first class. But if the customer buys 2 decks that might weight too much and cost more...On that part I'm clueless really.

Hope my thoughts on the subject will be helpful, at least a bit...:love:
:heart: LadyZelda, i hadn't thought about people not listening to my warning about the
quality of the poker sized deck. That is something to consider! i will just take it out of the mix then...
which solves any future problems there.

RE: store prices for tarot decks
There is no way i can compete with those prices because there isn't an online 'print on demand' printer
that gives out low enough prices to self-publishers so that they can offer the prices you
see in the regular stores. i think i mentioned earlier that online printers charge so much more more per deck for printing.
i have a wholesale license set up with USGames INC, and what they sell me a deck
for 50% discount (their wholesale price) is about what i have to pay for my own decks at 'COST' from TGC.

So that probably means that they pay about 1/2 of what i pay for printing a single deck!
It cost way more to self-publish with small online printers. But if i go with a larger printer
they would want anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 up front and i am not going to do that.

i hate to say, but i have paid $50 + shipping for decks on AT that were self-published
and i don't even read with them, but i wanted the decks in my collection because they were 'self-published'
You just can't compare store prices with a self-published deck.

As far the shipping of 'two' decks...they both would fit perfectly into the small flat rate
priority box for right around $5... i will just have to go according to what people order
and how they want it shipped. But, truthfully, i do prefer to ship by priority. Gives the deck
less days to get lost in the mail...LOL
Thank you for your thoughts... all this helps me decide what to do.

:heart: Thank you, everyone!
Lyn
i am still adding names to my thank you card...(trying to fit all the names on there! LOL)
...but almost done...but still need to work on that one revamp card i am doing...other than that,
all of the cards have now been edited.

tarotlyn

:heart::) :party: YAY!!! i just now finished my 'Thank You! card...whew! it was really a job
juggling all the names on there and then separating those that posted and sent me photos of their Chi's...
...matching member's names with their Chi's and matching their Chi's with their card titles ...YIKES...:bugeyed: :laugh:
i had to remember which belonged to whom...LOL

... it is not too fancy ...but clean...nice...and done! :p

...now...only ONE LAST card...and i should have that done before morning's break! :thumbsup:

...closer and closer...

:heart: Lyn

Debra

You don't have to use a flat-rate box for priority. You can ship priority in a regular mailer or your own box. The flat-rate box is convenient and as I said it's great for things that are heavy relative to their size. But if something's relatively light, a padded mailer is often two or even three dollars cheaper to send priority.

I've sent and received many decks without extra bubble wrap--just wrap them tight in several layers of paper (newsprint) and tape it tight (I add a layer of saran wrap outside as extra waterproofing) and they do just fine in the padded mailer. If you make a deck into a tight little "brick" there's really no harm can come to it short of volcano typhoon or lightening strike :laugh:

tarotlyn

You don't have to use a flat-rate box for priority. You can ship priority in a regular mailer or your own box. The flat-rate box is convenient and as I said it's great for things that are heavy relative to their size. But if something's relatively light, a padded mailer is often two or even three dollars cheaper to send priority.

I've sent and received many decks without extra bubble wrap--just wrap them tight in several layers of paper (newsprint) and tape it tight (I add a layer of saran wrap outside as extra waterproofing) and they do just fine in the padded mailer. If you make a deck into a tight little "brick" there's really no harm can come to it short of volcano typhoon or lightening strike :laugh:
:heart: Debra, thank you so much!
That is very helpful packing information that i will definitely be using! :):thumbsup:
i really appreciate you sharing that with me :heart:
:heart: HUGS
Lyn

tarotlyn

:heart::) :party::party::party: YAY.... The Medieval Chihuahua Tarot deck is FINISHED!!!

The editing is totally FINISHED... and i even 'ENLARGED' every card for the JUMBO deck already...

Now all that is left to do, is to upload the cards to TGC for printing!!! i plan on doing that tomorrow...

Wow...it really was quite a TRIP !!! :p:bugeyed::laugh:

i hope all of you that have wanted to try creating your own deck, will go ahead and do it, because
no matter whatever style you use, it will be wonderful because it will come from your heart! :heart:

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE THAT HELPED TO MAKE THIS DECK A GOOD ONE FOR CHI RESCUE WORK HELPING!!!
YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL :heart::*:*:* THANK YOU FOR STICKING WITH ME!!!:*:*:*

celticnoodle

Animal shelters stop adopting out black cats about a week before Halloween because they believe some people adopt those cats and then kill them.

OMG! you're kidding??! how awful!

That is also what I read...I heard that some "Chrisitians" (don't remember which denomination) might still be against black cats viewing them as evil, satanic creatures just like Christians did during Middle Ages. Back then, so many were unfortunately massacred...the innocent victims of a religious frenzy.

One of my kitty is a black cat, she came to my place as a starving kitten, she is a year old now, very pretty and she is such a sweet, affectionate cat! :love:

I can't comprehend how some people can be so cruel with animals. :bugeyed: :mad:
I can't either. it sickens me. :(

Oh, I am so glad that you had chosen the tower and fool card you did, as those were what I liked too. And, due to the fact that I have small hands, I'm going to be ordering the regular sized deck. Once I receive that deck, I'll do my best to go out and show it to Hubbards Hounds and see what they/if they are interested. Lyn, let me know how they should be in touch with you, so they can place their order directly with you.

As for the bubble wrap, yes, that is often carried in dollar stores, but also check out the prices in Walmart. Sometimes Walmart can be that much cheaper. I think you can also find bags for holding the tarot cards in the Dollar Store--or check online for a good price.

good luck!!!

LadyZelda

.....So that probably means that they pay about 1/2 of what i pay for printing a single deck! It cost way more to self-publish with small online printers. But if i go with a larger printer they would want anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 up front and i am not going to do that.

OMG!! :bugeyed: this is nuts! In the end these companies take advantage of the fact that self-published creators have no other choice but using them!That is disgusting! :mad:
They don't make it easy for self-published creators to sale through retail stores...because if I'm not wrong retail stores take a good margin for themselves too!

.....i hate to say, but i have paid $50 + shipping for decks on AT that were self-published and i don't even read with them, but i wanted the decks in my collection because they were 'self-published'

Oh my, this is really a lot for a deck! I could not have done the same...It is a pity because then it limits the sales, not everyone can or want to spend so much. Good that you didn't price yours the same way some do. :D

.....But, truthfully, i do prefer to ship by priority. Gives the deck
less days to get lost in the mail...LOL

True, the least time a package takes, the safer it is! And with priority they do have to keep it moving!;)

:heart::) :party::party::party: YAY.... The Medieval Chihuahua Tarot deck is FINISHED!!!

Woohoo! :party: :thumbsup:

....THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE THAT HELPED TO MAKE THIS DECK A GOOD ONE FOR CHI RESCUE WORK HELPING!!!
YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL :heart::*:*:* THANK YOU FOR STICKING WITH ME!!!:*:*:*

You're welcome! :love: I wish I had been able to participate more but I was following the Shabby Chic's creation and my free time doesn't allow me that much...

tarotlyn

OMG! you're kidding??! how awful!

I can't either. it sickens me. :(

Oh, I am so glad that you had chosen the tower and fool card you did, as those were what I liked too. And, due to the fact that I have small hands, I'm going to be ordering the regular sized deck. Once I receive that deck, I'll do my best to go out and show it to Hubbards Hounds and see what they/if they are interested. Lyn, let me know how they should be in touch with you, so they can place their order directly with you.

As for the bubble wrap, yes, that is often carried in dollar stores, but also check out the prices in Walmart. Sometimes Walmart can be that much cheaper. I think you can also find bags for holding the tarot cards in the Dollar Store--or check online for a good price.

good luck!!!
:heart: celticnoodle, thank you for confirming the tower and fool card choices...
It is unanimous for those two cards. Little dollar store 'bags' sound good too...i think i saw
them there once...i will have to check. i will check walmart too when i get to the point of
actually mailing the decks. Thank you for the 'bagging' the deck idea...LOL

Oh, regarding the hubbards hounds...i put their website link in the deck on the Introduction card...
i used it as a 'link' card for several good rescue places that i have checked out already.
The card is small so i was not able to make comments about the places...but just asked
everyone to support them and to help. So make sure you show them that they are in the
deck when you take it there. Not sure they would pay the high price i would have to charge
...even giving it to them lower than everyone else...even at cost :bugeyed: it is probably too high!
(You can read more at the bottom of this post about this problem)

OMG!! :bugeyed: this is nuts! In the end these companies take advantage of the fact that self-published creators have no other choice but using them!That is disgusting! :mad:
They don't make it easy for self-published creators to sale through retail stores...because if I'm not wrong retail stores take a good margin for themselves too!

Oh my, this is really a lot for a deck! I could not have done the same...It is a pity because then it limits the sales, not everyone can or want to spend so much. Good that you didn't price yours the same way some do. :D

True, the least time a package takes, the safer it is! And with priority they do have to keep it moving!;)

Woohoo! :party: :thumbsup:

You're welcome! :love: I wish I had been able to participate more but I was following the Shabby Chic's creation and my free time doesn't allow me that much...
:heart: LadyZelda, yes the printing is way to high for self-publishing and then to try to
get the deck into stores is near impossible: read of what i think ...below...
Regarding priority shipping...i like it as it is so much safer as you said. So i will ask the person
to go priority, but if they don't want to, then i will mail whatever way they request, but if
the deck gets lost in the mail, it will be their problem IF they don't get the insurance.
Smaller packages are more likely to get lost than larger ones. But even with the smallest
priority box, i have never ever had a problem with them getting lost. But anyway, i will ship
however the person wants it shipped.
Thank you for your comments, my friend! ...and hopefully next week i will be back to working
on the Shabby Chic deck... it's my heart! :love: ...and i think i will wait until my lennie deck
is finished before starting my 'Spirits Speak' creation thread...

:heart:@everyone
The deck is finished so now i need to upload both images for the regular and for the jumbo cards
onto TGC for printing...i also have to set up a web page there again first...one for each size.
...so that is 'two' web pages...and you can't set them up without your advertising images...
so i may just use my bear images...and they want a bunch of them...not just one...
i think there is a way to just make a copy of one of my other web pages i have on there for
my other items on their site...i will try that first.

But their uploading images and proofing each one is VERY LONG DRAWN OUT AND TEDIOUS!!!
So this will take a couple of days...and i have a local painting project i have to do today
and tomorrow i have a local reading to do for someone...so busy for then next few days for sure!!!
i will keep you all posted...

Now more regarding my deck prices:
i really feel awful that i cannot go lower on the prices...the whole idea is to get some
money to the Chihuahua rescue places.

That is what i found out about the bear deck, rescue places don't want to pay even my costs!
So i am having to do this myself so far...even though a lot of people ask for their stores, when
it comes time to pay even my 'cost' price...i don't hear from them again...i guess they want
it totally free...but i would go broke if my decks got out there everywhere with me paying
all the costs all by myself. I need the buyer to pay the printing and shipping costs then the
rest goes to help the animals.

i am trying to figure out how i can sell this at a 'wholesale' price to stores that have been
asking me about it. i just don't think they would even want to pay my 'costs' which are quite high.
Unless a printer comes forward and offers to print at a better discount (to help this cause)
i don't really see the retail stores paying my high costs for the printing. It was the same thing
with the bears deck :bugeyed: ... and that was only the poker sized deck. This will be the
regular and jumbo size, which even costs more for just the printing.

Are there any 'humanitarian' printers out there? i know there are humanitarian photographers now
as i just saw that on the news last night...and would you all believe that they were showing
black dogs and talking about how there are '3 times' as many black dogs and CATS as other
colors that are euthanized. And that sometimes if you go to the shelters, you won't see 'any'
black dogs or cats because they grab them up first to kill because they are black and are
usually passed over :(...especially large black dogs...but even smaller ones too...and most of the cats.
i cried...that is just so awful...and i had mentioned that to you all a few days ago and then
it came up on the news last night...did they pick up my brain waves? If so, i am thankful!

i wish someone would pick up my brain waves regarding 'printing' at a better price??? :p

:heart: Lyn

LadyZelda

......Are there any 'humanitarian' printers out there? i know there are humanitarian photographers now as i just saw that on the news last night...

I really hope there are!!! It would be so great to have that deck everywhere! I will still give a try with my local store...we can never know for sure until we ask...and it won't hurt to ask;) :love:

......and would you all believe that they were showing
black dogs and talking about how there are '3 times' as many black dogs and CATS as other
colors that are euthanized. And that sometimes if you go to the shelters, you won't see 'any' black dogs or cats because they grab them up first to kill because they are black and are usually passed over :(...especially large black dogs...but even smaller ones too...and most of the cats.
i cried...that is just so awful...and i had mentioned that to you all a few days ago and then
it came up on the news last night...did they pick up my brain waves? If so, i am thankful!

This really breaks my heart also...This is terrible, like you I can't bear to see the commercials for the human society, it makes me cry.

......i wish someone would pick up my brain waves regarding 'printing' at a better price??? :p :heart: Lyn

Maybe if we all think on it real hard, that will happen! At least it is my wish also! :love:

MoonGypsy

Oooh, i just can't wait... i want at least a regular sized deck; i'd love to get a jumbo, too...but i will need to wait on that one...
Things are a little tight this month...:love:

Hugs and Blessings,
MG xxx