Is it a good ToM version?

Richard

The line art in the Meunier is very light and delicate, unlike the coarse, heavy outlines of many Conver restorations. The colors in my copy, particularly the backgrounds, are a bit too dark for my taste, but this may have been corrected in later printings.

Attachments

• meunier.jpg
    meunier.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 190

kalliope

Hrm. Yes, that's quite a bit darker than what's on his website. That's unfortunate. I keep noticing some of the eyes, too -- particularly La Papesse and L'Imperatrice. Are they looking harder to the sides than is typical?

Barleywine

The line art in the Meunier is very light and delicate, unlike the heavy outlines of many Conver restorations. The colors in my copy, particularly the backgrounds, are a bit too dark for my taste, but this may have been corrected in later printings.

The colors of the cards at the website you linked us to looked considerably brighter overall, especially the flesh tones.

garmonbozia

I saw the high quality scans of the Jean-Pierre Payen on the Yale library website (follow Kenji's instructions to search by catalog number), and what I really, really want is for someone to produce an excellent facsimile version of THAT deck, keeping all of the muted colors (background paper also) and line quality exactly as they are. It's wonderful! I downloaded the scans to put into my UniTarot app at some point.

I have a copy of the Tarot des Centuries on the way, even though I know some of the images have been altered considerably and it has a lot of glaring yellow. I just kind of fell for the faces when looking at comparative scans on Albideuter.

I too really want a facsimile or a restoration of the JPP tarot. I have the Tarot de Nostradamus. Do you know if there is much, if any difference between that deck and the Tarot des Centuries?

kalliope

I have the Tarot de Nostradamus. Do you know if there is much, if any difference between that deck and the Tarot des Centuries?

I think the Nostradamus & Centuries supposed to be the same, just different packaging & titles. I'm not sure if there are subtle printing differences, though. Maybe once I get mine we could each take a photo of the same cards and post them to compare??

Katniss

been MIA + so much has been said lol!
regarding the Fournier TM i really love it! i wasn't too sure when i ordered it but really since i got it i'm delighted with it. thing is the pics online really don't do it justice. i've now did my own scan of the entire deck + it was quite a hassle to try to get it right. in the end i think i got as poor pics as those i'd seen on the net even after trying to tweak them. i don't know why but the real colors don't come through. they are far more subtle than the scans show(don't expect a solid color)
so 4 anyone who is attracted to it even just a bit, i'll say go 4 it cuz u should love it once u have it in your hands ;-)
the colors of the backgrounds 4 the minors are:

coupes: kind of a salmon color
batons: green
epees: blue
deniers: a yellow/green

there's enough contrast so the background doesn't take over the scene + though the cards are a tad smaller than usual, u get used to it. it's so cool that the titles are all in french!

didn't read with it just yet, 4 now i'm studying it. i think it's a great deck that fits any wallet lol!

If you think you like the ISIS, don't put it off like I did. I could kick myself for not getting it sooner. There's nothing else in the Tarot world that compares to it, IMO. Although under $50 USD, it is still a significant amount of money for me, but well worth it. If I had to choose which deck to have if shipwrecked on a desert island, it would be the ISIS, without hesitation.

yeah, i'm still looking forward to get that one! i love the 3D aspect + it's really super neat. the images pop out of the card... as soon as i can spare $40 i'll place an order 4 it. so far it seems that everybody who got it didn't regret a bit to have done so.

The line art in the Meunier is very light and delicate, unlike the coarse, heavy outlines of many Conver restorations. The colors in my copy, particularly the backgrounds, are a bit too dark for my taste, but this may have been corrected in later printings.

i read that the printer didn't do justice to the work of K. Meunier + he is quite upset that his diligent work has been marred. visibly, he had done a self printing edition that was true to his work but i don't know if that one is still available. such a pity when printers mess up with the original work. i've seen them on his site + i really think he had done a great job.

The C-J is a very creative and original version of the TdM.

The most beautiful and refined Conver restoration that I know of (besides ISIS) is Kevin Meunier's Tarot de Marseille. It is available from ADA.

Another excellent restoration is the CBD by Yoav Ben-Dov, who is based in Tel Aviv. You can order it from his web site.

the CBD is also a temptation 4 me lol! i've been looking + looking at the pics, the repro is very well done, i like the colors also; i might end up with this one also ;-)

garmonbozia

I think the Nostradamus & Centuries supposed to be the same, just different packaging & titles. I'm not sure if there are subtle printing differences, though. Maybe once I get mine we could each take a photo of the same cards and post them to compare??

I see that both decks are posted on Albideuter:

http://www.albideuter.de/html/m-centuries.html

http://www.albideuter.de/html/m-nostradamus.html

I only compared a few cards, and they look the same to me with some slight variations in coloring.

Tarot des Centuries is such a better name! I wish I had that deck

kalliope

I see that both decks are posted on Albideuter:

http://www.albideuter.de/html/m-centuries.html

http://www.albideuter.de/html/m-nostradamus.html

I only compared a few cards, and they look the same to me with some slight variations in coloring.

Tarot des Centuries is such a better name! I wish I had that deck

Yes, it looks like the colors are very slightly darker in your Nostradamus. I'm a little jealous of that, if it makes you feel any better about the name! And mine didn't come with a kooky LWB talking about the name changes or Nostradamus' influence. Not sure if that's because the seller didn't have it, or if it didn't originally come with a LWB.

Fun story: I took a chance on the deck because it was really really cheap, even with the shipping from France. It was listed as "New" but I could see that wasn't true since in the one(!) photo in the listing I could see through the plastic wrapping that the box was quite worn, so I figured it was something that was wrapped from a secondhand shop.

When it arrived I was annoyed to see that it wasn't completely bundled in plastic wrap after all -- it was packing tape!! :rolleyes: Completely stuck to the box in such a way that it won't come off without ripping off the print. AND both the top and bottom of the box are missing, so the packing tape went right over the top & bottom edges of the cards. :laugh: I cut the tape away at the top and slid the cards out that way. In addition, there was a funny little playing card joker kind of stuck to the deck when I first took it out, but it didn't do any damage when I removed it.

All in all, I'm fine with it. I just wanted a readable copy with cards in good shape, and that's what I got. But geez!

Attachments

• Tarot des Centuries 1.jpg
    Tarot des Centuries 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Tarot des Centuries edge.jpg
    Tarot des Centuries edge.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Tarot des Centuries edge 2.jpg
    Tarot des Centuries edge 2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Tarot des Centuries 2.jpg
    Tarot des Centuries 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 163

garmonbozia

When it arrived I was annoyed to see that it wasn't completely bundled in plastic wrap after all -- it was packing tape!!

Oh geez. I would have been terrified trying to open that. Thanks for posting the pics so I could take in the full extent of the horror!