Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Modern Marseilles

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Citizen

Penthasilia 
Citizen

Modern Marseilles

If this isn't the appropriate area on the forum- please feel free to move. I just figured there might be more luck here.

Other than Le Tarot Noir, Mon Tarot de Marseille from the now defunct Tarotland site, or the unavailable De La Rea, are there any other modern interpretations/decks?

Not modern productions trying to maximize or restore historical woodblock looks, but a modern take on the idea and style.

Don't throw rocks! I just cannot seem to love the traditional ones but love the idea of a modern recreation.

I guess the Ludvig is almost there- but looking for something more along the lines of the more modern decks listed first.

Thanks all.
Top   #1
Citizen

Yelell 
Citizen

It's a bit hard for me to compare a modern interpretation with the traditional tDM, so I may miss the mark completely on what you want, but different types might be the crystal di vetro http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/crystal-tarots/ , the marseille cat tarot http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards...lle-cat-tarot/ , or something like the balbi http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/balbi/
Top   #2
Citizen

Samweiss 
Citizen

I'm not sure if this will fit your criteria, but I find ISIS Tarot de Marseille to be a lovely deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/isis-marseille/

You can get the deck in app form too, if you like.
Top   #3
Le Mat

Richard 
Le Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samweiss View Post
I'm not sure if this will fit your criteria, but I find ISIS Tarot de Marseille to be a lovely deck......
For some reason, I didn't want to suggest the ISIS, but I am glad that you did, Samweiss. It is not modern in the sense that the images necessarily reflect modern life. However, the artistic style is modern, with color shading instead of hash marks: It takes full advantage of modern printing techniques. Moreover, it is a very faithful rendering of the Conver deck images except for the shading.

This is my absolutely favorite Tarot deck. It is sublimely beautiful, and in my opinion, it is what the Conver TdM would look like if the artist could have taken advantage of modern printing techniques.

I love the artistic beauty of the Italian decks, such as the Soprafino, but I have found them to be less than accommodating to my reading style.
Top   #4
Citizen

Lee 
Citizen

My favorite:

Le Millenaire Tarot de Marseilles by Chris Butler (our own The 78th Fool).
Top   #5
Golden Silvery Dionna

Alta 
Golden Silvery Dionna

Major Tom's Tarot of Marseille
Top   #6
Citizen

mrpants 
Citizen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RA...-/331426666064

Very modern; almost minimal. Reads like a dream!
Top   #7
Citizen

Penthasilia 
Citizen

Thanks all- these will definitely get me started.
Top   #8
Resident

Fiver 
Resident

Does the tarot balbi count? I wouldn't call it traditional but it does consist of majors and pips. And I just love the art on this deck. Front and back. It's very 80s, but that's more modern than 15th century...
Top   #9
Citizen

The Happy Squirrel 
Citizen
Modern Marseilles

'Modern' = Marseilles style ? = pip only minors?
-Liz Dean's Golden Tarot
- Nissanka Tarot (not sure if this is modern as such as it is in the style of ancient Srilanka)
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.