Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

BoT Etteilla is a curious deck - I am digging it

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Le Mat

Richard 
Le Mat

Does anyone think that the images of the BoT Etteilla are sort of dull and oppressive? To me, the Grand Etteilla (Egyptian Gypsies Tarot) seems much more upbeat and evocative.

Maybe it is just a matter of personal taste.
Top   #11
sporadic magic

Debra 
sporadic magic

Different tribes, is how I see those two decks. The BOT Etteilla seems steeped in original sin and the other aims to fly like the birds LOL
Top   #12
Citizen

LindaMechele 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRichard View Post
Does anyone think that the images of the BoT Etteilla are sort of dull and oppressive? To me, the Grand Etteilla (Egyptian Gypsies Tarot) seems much more upbeat and evocative.
I think the BoT looks antique and I really like antique (hence my love of the Bastard decks). When I was looking for an Etteilla to buy, that's part of what drew me to it instead of the Egyptian Gypsies - that and the fact that it's easily available for twenty bucks while I'd drop quite a bit more than that for the Egyptian Gypsies, much less a Dusserre version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
Different tribes, is how I see those two decks. The BOT Etteilla seems steeped in original sin and the other aims to fly like the birds LOL
Yes! And I ain't no saintly kinda' girl.
Top   #13
Citizen

LindaMechele 
Citizen

I forgot to add this link for you, CMarie. It's a page where the author links the BoT Majors to their corresponding RWS Majors. I haven't studied it at all - just came across it today - but thought you might find it interesting. When I get time, I'll be looking closer at it as well.
Top   #14
Citizen

cmarie 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRichard View Post

Maybe it is just a matter of personal taste.
I kind of felt that way until I got the deck in hand. Like LindaMechele I chose it first because of the price - but actually I really love it. The artwork is evocative to me and I have found a lot of little mysteries that I am looking forward to figuring out when I get to really study it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
What a great description!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaMechele View Post
I think the BoT looks antique and I really like antique (hence my love of the Bastard decks). When I was looking for an Etteilla to buy, that's part of what drew me to it instead of the Egyptian Gypsies - that and the fact that it's easily available for twenty bucks while I'd drop quite a bit more than that for the Egyptian Gypsies, much less a Dusserre version.

Yes! And I ain't no saintly kinda' girl.
tee hee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaMechele View Post
I forgot to add this link for you, CMarie. It's a page where the author links the BoT Majors to their corresponding RWS Majors. I haven't studied it at all - just came across it today - but thought you might find it interesting. When I get time, I'll be looking closer at it as well.
Thank you! It does look very interesting. I will be reading up on it when I can really study the deck. Soon I hope!
Top   #15
Citizen

cmarie 
Citizen

I am curious, do you consider the etteilla to be a tarot deck or would you consider it an oracle?

I am leaning more towards an oracle because the trumps are different and I don't think all of them correspond with the tarot trumps. But I really don't know and honestly at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much - just curious as to what others think.
Top   #16
Citizen

dancing_moon 
Citizen

Definitely a Tarot deck. The Majors might be different, but Etteilla gives their traditional equivalents, stating that they became corrupted and misinterpreted throughout history, and that his Majors are the 'true' and original ones. The meanings of the Minors have also been heavily borrowed by Waite for his deck, so you'll see many 'familiar faces' when studying Etteilla deck.
Top   #17
Citizen

LindaMechele 
Citizen

Yep, a tarot deck I think. It is very different from modern decks, but I think it's a tarot nonetheless. Put it this way: it is to modern decks what the Wright brothers' plane is to modern jumbo jets - the Wright brothers' plane is a LOT harder to fly and doesn't have as many bells and whistles to make it comfortable or accurate in it's flight path, but it's still an airplane.

There's just something about it, isn't there, CMarie? I don't much like unillustrated pips, but I still just love this deck.
Top   #18
Citizen

Metafizzypop 
Citizen

I love the art on this deck. It's very decadent, dark, and mysterious. It's eerie and occult. It looks like something I'd find in a Ye Olde Cabinet of Curiosities.

I can't read with it for crap, but little by little I'm learning.
Top   #19

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.