Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Why do characters in the Marseilles deck have flabby bodies & bags under their eyes?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Resident

GreenDiamond 
Resident
Question Why do characters in the Marseilles deck have flabby bodies & bags under their eyes?

I like my Tarot de Marseille deck and the cards read well for me, however I have always been wondering why are the characters portrayed with saggy, flabby bodies, and bags under their eyes?
Top   #1
Reader

prudence 
Reader

Which deck do you have? I think the eye bags are more pronounced in some decks than in others, the Dodal comes to mind. I haven't noticed the flabbiness, other than a slight belly on the Star card.
Top   #2
Star clad

Padma 
Star clad

I think it has a lot to do with the art style common to the Dark Ages/Medieval times. High realism did not really come into play in art until the 16th-17th century, largely brought into popularity by the Dutch influence (high realism).

If you look at some paintings done in, say, 1520, and then look at another few from 1670, (eg) you will see quite a difference in the art styles used. Or, look at art styles in the 1400's as opposed to the 16th century art works.

ETA I also think that the medium used to create the decks - carved wood block printing - did not allow for a great deal of realism nor detail. It is a crude method that due to its very nature disallows finesse.
Top   #3
Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

My first deck was a very old Marseille deck, but I never really got on with it

It was so many years ago that I had actually forgotten it until I saw this thread

Perhaps one of you could advise me on which the best and easiest to find version is
Top   #4
Resident

GreenDiamond 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudence View Post
Which deck do you have? I think the eye bags are more pronounced in some decks than in others, the Dodal comes to mind. I haven't noticed the flabbiness, other than a slight belly on the Star card.
I have the Camoon-Jodorowski deck.
Top   #5
Resident

GreenDiamond 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padma View Post
I think it has a lot to do with the art style common to the Dark Ages/Medieval times. High realism did not really come into play in art until the 16th-17th century, largely brought into popularity by the Dutch influence (high realism).

If you look at some paintings done in, say, 1520, and then look at another few from 1670, (eg) you will see quite a difference in the art styles used. Or, look at art styles in the 1400's as opposed to the 16th century art works.

ETA I also think that the medium used to create the decks - carved wood block printing - did not allow for a great deal of realism nor detail. It is a crude method that due to its very nature disallows finesse.
Thanks for your answer, it makes a lot of sense!
Top   #6
Resident

GreenDiamond 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Anthea View Post
My first deck was a very old Marseille deck, but I never really got on with it

It was so many years ago that I had actually forgotten it until I saw this thread

Perhaps one of you could advise me on which the best and easiest to find version is
Go ahead and start a new thread, you will get more answers that way.
Top   #7
Grizelda The Grimm

Aunty Anthea 
Grizelda The Grimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDiamond View Post
Go ahead and start a new thread, you will get more answers that way.
GOOD THINKING
Top   #8
Citizen

Yelell 
Citizen

It definitely depends on the deck. I have a cheap Conver deck where a few of the people on the cards look like they have black eyes.
Attached Images

Top   #9
Le Mat

Richard 
Le Mat

There is nothing inherent in the Marseille decks which requires flabbly bodies and baggy eyes, except maybe the limitations of woodblock printing. Modern restorations of the Marseille do not necessarily have to follow suit in that respect. The Camoin-Jodo deck is weird in other ways and is not generally representative of Marseille decks anyhow. My favorite Conver restoration is the ISIS, and, while it is faithful to the Conver patterns, the bodies and faces are not at all unattractive.
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.