Eggplants?

Satori

Best TdM eggplant parmesan is in Worcester, MA.

D'errico's restaurant has the best, anywhere.

Diana

I have written to Kris Hadar to ask him if the plant on his 5 of Cups is an eggplant! :D As soon as I get his answer, I will let you know.

tmgrl2

The one on the top of the Five of Cups looks like a blue pineapple to me (on the Hadar).

On the Grimaud, it looks like a very dark blue pineapple and on the Camoin, a light blue pineapple. LOL

I like what jmd said, also...I see the bottom "flowers" on the Five of Cups of the above decks as being in various stages of "flowering." The flowers come out before the "fruit." So I would see the "pineapple-like" fruit at the top as the fruition that came out of the two and the three. The bottom two cups have various "stages" of floral development. The top three cups
(perhaps appropriately) have given birth (the triad) to the "fruit" (which could be an eggplant...or pineapple...or another fruit or vegetable, but the fruit of the work. The two's create the seed which flowers and grows. The three's have the "baby."

terri

better get out of here, before I'm chased away by Farmer Brown.

Shalott

Cool, Diana, thanks!

Hmm...eggplant or pineapple...or poppy...oh, my!

Smeite, that is quite a bibliography! Can't wait to dig through it!

Rusty Neon

Smleite ... Thanks for the links. From among those links, which did you find especially useful for relating to the botanical features of the Marseilles pips?

tmgrl2

Silvia....Thank you for those websites! Keepers!

One of them had a plant that should you flip it over, the flowery part would be at the bottom and the "bulb" at the top...almost like on the Five of Cups, making me think even more of the total plant...although the bulby part looked a bit more like a "root."
If it were a tuber though, it would be the "fruit/vegetable."

These are great sites.

terri

Thanks, Diana, for checking with Kris Hadar.

terri

smleite

Originally posted by Rusty Neon
From among those links, which did you find especially useful for relating to the botanical features of the Marseilles pips?

Oh, I never studied the botanical features of the Marseilles pips, Rusty Neon. I used those links a few years ago, when was doing research for an academic project, and Tarot was still far away…

Some representations of flora in art are very symbolic, comprising a relatively short number of specimens, and with clearly assigned meanings. That would be the case of flowers such as the rose (or roses), poppy, violet, lily, cowslip, etc., plants like the plantain, several trees, fruits (the strawberry, the apple, the grape, the pomegranate), and – of course – grains and cereals. Then, art is also full of more obscure botanical depictions, not to mention the imaginary ones, and those we will never be able to identify. In some cases, it is clear that the particular depiction of a flower, plant or tree has no symbolic meaning by itself; its use is merely ornamental, or it is simply the general idea of a natural element that is implied.

If someone finds it possible to identify a certain plant, flower or fruit in the Marseilles pips, I would be glad to help with symbology.

Now, just for the fun of it, you can read this passage about Plantain, also called “way bread”, a somewhat despised plant today, but very important in medieval times, its brad leaves depicted everywhere in art (this is an except from a medieval Irish folk song): And you, Plantain, mother of herbs, open from the east, mighty inside. Over you chariots creaked, over you queens rode, over you brides cried out, over you bulls snorted. You withstood all of them, you dashed against them. May you likewise withstand poison and infection, and the loathsome serpent encircling the Middle Garth.

Silvia

Shalott

Sorry I seem to be hovering everywhere but this thread! ::juggling:: Thanks, smleite (did I finally type that right?) this research could certainly come in handy!

kwaw

Where are egg plants from? When did they enter into Europrean culture?

Kwaw

Shalott

The info I found on them was related to North Africa. Maybe I'll have to Google the following: Eggplants in History.