Tarot Spread for Sexual Chemistry

Girl Archer

Good question. If it's a big fat Trump card "Nope," it could be something unexpected you have no say in (hmm, maybe the spouse finds out about it). If it's a court card, it might mean someone else steps in to "fill the gap," so to speak :)

What if it is a non- Major card that could represent no? like 5/8 of cups or 9/10 of Swords? Those are not going to happen kind of cards too, right? What if you end up getting YOUR court card? (I usually come up as a Queen of Swords, for example). Does that mean, you will have to tend to your own garden? :laugh:

Barleywine

What if it is a non- Major card that could represent no? like 5/8 of cups or 9/10 of Swords? Those are not going to happen kind of cards too, right? What if you end up getting YOUR court card? (I usually come up as a Queen of Swords, for example). Does that mean, you will have to tend to your own garden? :laugh:

There are a lot of different flavors of "No" that don't have to mean "never." F'rinstance, 7 of Cups could just mean one of you is too drunk at the time of the anticipated "event." Maybe in such cases an additional one-card "clarifier" to look at timing would be a way to go.

Girl Archer

There are a lot of different flavors of "No" that don't have to mean "never." F'rinstance, 7 of Cups could just mean one of you is too drunk at the time of the anticipated "event." Maybe in such cases an additional one-card "clarifier" to look at timing would be a way to go.

You are right, Barleywine. But timing readings are rather tricky in themselves, and clarifiers can only help so much, especially in topics like these, where you don't have total control over the situation or another party is involved in the process.

Barleywine

You are right, Barleywine. But timing readings are rather tricky in themselves, and clarifiers can only help so much, especially in topics like these, where you don't have total control over the situation or another party is involved in the process.

Yes, I probably shouldn't have said timing when what I really meant was another opportunity in the future and ways in which that might play out. If the potential hasn't been entirely blown and both parties clearly exhibit the "chemistry," there's always another day (or night). On second thought, maybe a "best case/worst case" hook-up detector ("sextant?") could be created by placing two cards in the final position and reading them in a pair as greater or lesser likelihood of success, giving precedence to the stronger of the two in a mixed result. Here two "No's" probably would mean "No."

Girl Archer

Yes, I probably shouldn't have said timing when what I really meant was another opportunity in the future and ways in which that might play out. If the potential hasn't been entirely blown and both parties clearly exhibit the "chemistry," there's always another day (or night). On second thought, maybe a "best case/worst case" hook-up detector ("sextant?") could be created by placing two cards in the final position and reading them in a pair as greater or lesser likelihood of success, giving precedence to the stronger of the two in a mixed result. Here two "No's" probably would mean "No."

Ah thank you for explaining that so well, Barleywine. So if I draw a ten of swords and then pull a clarifying card asking " Are you sure it will never happen?" and get Ace of Cups (I don't use reversals), does it mean Yes or No?

Barleywine

Ah thank you for explaining that so well, Barleywine. So if I draw a ten of swords and then pull a clarifying card asking " Are you sure it will never happen?" and get Ace of Cups (I don't use reversals), does it mean Yes or No?

That's a really good example of what you're talking about. The 10 of Swords seems to be saying, in essesnce, "Don't bother, it's over before it ever got started," while the Ace of Cups is saying "C'mon, let's go, screw the consequences." One is culminating in disappointment while the other one is chomping at the bit (look at the Thoth Ace of Cups "splatting" all over the place - looks like an orgasm to me). I'm thinking it might happen on impulse and then be regretted for some reason - maybe a "you should have known better" remorse.

Girl Archer

That's a really good example of what you're talking about. The 10 of Swords seems to be saying, in essesnce, "Don't bother, it's over before it ever got started," while the Ace of Cups is saying "C'mon, let's go, screw the consequences." One is culminating in disappointment while the other one is chomping at the bit (look at the Thoth Ace of Cups "splatting" all over the place - looks like an orgasm to me). I'm thinking it might happen on impulse and then be regretted for some reason - maybe a "you should have known better" remorse.

Interesting take on it. So, the phrasing of the question does not matter much? I have not seen the Thoth deck Ace of Cups, so I will have to take your word for it. Does it matter at all that the quint is Justice/Strength depending on what deck you are using?

Barleywine

Interesting take on it. So, the phrasing of the question does not matter much? I have not seen the Thoth deck Ace of Cups, so I will have to take your word for it. Does it matter at all that the quint is Justice/Strength depending on what deck you are using?

You will have to ask the OP (spread creator) what the intent is there. I'm just an interested contributor. But I'm not sure how much a quint would add in a straightforward situation like this, unless it's a "morning after" indication. As far as the question goes, "Will we have sex?" is pretty unambiguous. I was looking for ways in which "No" might not be the last word when the chemistry is obviously so powerful. After all, "Lust conquers all" . . . wait, that's Love, isn't it?

Barleywine

More Thoughts on the Quint

I got to thinking that use of a numerically derived quint card in this spread might be useful in the one area the outcome of a successful liaison leaves unmentioned: where gender-appropriate and where not otherwise likely (due to infallible contraception, infertility, etc.) could she become pregnant? Beyond the cards that generally point to the possibility of conception (Empress, Ace of Cups, etc.), we could look at the cards associated with the astrological signs that traditional astrology called "fertile" and "barren." These would be:

Fertile Signs: A possible Yes

Cancer: 2 through 4 of Cups, Queen of Cups, the Chariot (the "little man in the cart")

Scorpio: 5 through 7 of Cups, Knight of Cups, Death (perhaps in the "fate worse than death" category? Or how about the "death" of the sperm and egg in union?)

Pisces: 8 through 10 of Cups, King of Cups, the Moon (reversal might show "cyclical barrenness")

Barren Signs: A likely No

Gemini: 8 through 10 of Swords, King of Swords, the Lovers

Leo: 5 through 7 of Wands, Knight of Wands, Strength

Virgo: 8 through 10 of Pentacles, KIng of Pentacles, the Hermit

All of the other signs are considered "neutral" as far as the potential for conception goes. The Queens - generally indicative of mature and therefore fertile womanhood - are a variable group due to the decans assigned to them: the Queen of Wands is neutral with one foot in fertile territory; the Queen of Cups is fertile with a slight barren bias at the start (have sex early, I guess :)); the Queen of Swords is neutral-to-barren and the Queen of Pentacles is also neutral-to-barren. The Aces and Pages rule entire quadrants, so their testimony is indeterminate.

Note that these assigments have nothing to do with the physical or emotional quality of the experience, just with its risk of conception. A "fertile" card in the outcome might warrant extra caution.

QueenofClubs

I always find reversals when doing spreads like this so hard to interperate