Sweet Twilight - Knight of Wands

Aerin

I wanted to post about this card because I find it quite hard. There is such a lot going on.

In some ways it looks like a child's toybox: the patchwork horse, the puppet-like figure that is tied up (body a bit like one of those artist's mannequins), the masks. To me it seems dream-like.

The Knight seems to be riding on ignoring all of these things around him: both he and the girl look determined and focused yet a little tense.

The effect is a little claustrophobic to me - I wonder if they will ever get out unless they can somehow see through the illusions all around.

What's all this about?

The LWB says
Feeling confident and yet not confident at the same time. Moving forward, thinking you've got it right, but halfway wondering if you've missed something. Just keep moving ahead. It'll all sort out in the end. Somehow.

which in this case didn't help me a whole lot except by expressing my feelings about studying this card.

Alan Ross

Aerin said:
I wanted to post about this card because I find it quite hard. There is such a lot going on.
I find a great deal of this deck quite hard to figure out. This is a very left brain intuitive sort of deck and I'm more of a right brain analytical type. The fractured dreamscapes of this deck defy logic and convention, so I find myself having to rely more on my overall impressions and feelings about what's going on, rather than on symbolic minutiae.

In some ways it looks like a child's toybox: the patchwork horse, the puppet-like figure that is tied up (body a bit like one of those artist's mannequins), the masks. To me it seems dream-like.
My impression is the same. Perhaps this knight represents that stage of adolescence on the cusp of adulthood where the desire for freedom and independence is undermined by impulsive behavior and questionable judgment.

The bound mannequin brings to mind the restrictiveness of childhood. This restrictiveness is what prompts so many teens to rebel against parental authority. Impulsiveness and rebelliousness are two qualities that I tend to associate with the Knight of Wands.

The Knight seems to be riding on ignoring all of these things around him: both he and the girl look determined and focused yet a little tense.
The young man and woman on the horse's back reminds me of a young couple who have decided to defy their parents expectations and are eloping. They are riding through a changing, undulating landscapre, unsure of their footing, but determined to press onward.

The effect is a little claustrophobic to me - I wonder if they will ever get out unless they can somehow see through the illusions all around.
I see the "illusions" as their own internal confusion and uncertainty about their self-identity and their life goals. They are more disposed to act than to evaluate and plan, and so they act hoping that it will all work out somehow eventually.

The LWB says: "Feeling confident and yet not confident at the same time. Moving forward, thinking you've got it right, but halfway wondering if you've missed something. Just keep moving ahead. It'll all sort out in the end. Somehow." Which in this case didn't help me a whole lot except by expressing my feelings about studying this card.
I really like the LWB quote for this card. It sums up well my own feelings about this card.

Alan

Aerin

Thank you Alan. That all makes a lot of sense to me. The masks make sense in terms of the 'search for identity'.

With a lot of Sweet Twilight cards, even if I can't express something verbally my gut feels as if it makes sense. With this card it makes my gut feel puzzled too...

Alan Ross

Aerin said:
Thank you Alan. That all makes a lot of sense to me. The masks make sense in terms of the 'search for identity'.
Nice observation. I wasn't sure about the masks, but the "search for identity" fits very well.

Alan

Hemera

Here is a picture of this card.

Attachments

• Card63.jpg
    Card63.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 201

Aerin

I've had this card in readings a fair amount since I first posted. What is especially interesting is how my focus as a reader changes with the question and querent. Sometimes the bound pouppet; sometimes one rider, sometimes another; sometimes an observer...

Hemera

I don´t often get this card but just recently I got it when I asked "what someone is bringing to our relationship"-kind of question (I don´t remember the exact phrasing and I´m at work now so I can´t check). I still don´t quite understand what the answer (provided by this card) was?
It´s not a love relationship but an important friendship. I always find the Knights difficult in any deck and this deck is no exception.

Flaxen

Yes, this is one card that I struggle relating to RWS meanings. In fact I've stopped trying to relate the cards to RWS meanings now - it does seem to be so intuitive.

I wonder if in a relationship reading, the focus would be on the figures on the horse. In which case, could the thing that they bring to your relationship be that they encourage you to move into new and daring territories. The figures on the horse are not chained and stuck but are moving forward on some adventure together. Does this person help you to push boundaries and become more adventurous? Are they quite unconventional? The woman on the horse is dressed quite conservatively, I wonder if the knight helps her get the courage to stand out a little and do something different.

Just some thoughts, this is a tricky card...

Hemera

Flaxen said:
Yes, this is one card that I struggle relating to RWS meanings. In fact I've stopped trying to relate the cards to RWS meanings now - it does seem to be so intuitive
Yes, this is quite true! I am still working with it from a RWS perspective but I think I should probably soon move on.

Flaxen said:
Does this person help you to push boundaries and become more adventurous? Are they quite unconventional? The woman on the horse is dressed quite conservatively, I wonder if the knight helps her get the courage to stand out a little and do something different.
Ooooh, wow! This is absolutely spot on! Stunning! Thank you so much Flaxen:love:
This interpretation would never have occurred to me (which once again shows btw why we also need other people to read our cards for us).