Advice on LBRP

foolMoon

Thank you Aeon for your excellent link - I liked reading it very much. :) This part was especially notable.

THE MESSAGE OF THE MASTER THERION said:
There is but one other word to explain. Elsewhere it is written – surely for our great comfort – “Love is the law, love under will.”

This is to be taken as meaning that while Will is the Law, the nature of that Will is Love. But this Love is as it were a by-product of that Will; it does not contradict or super- sede that Will; and if apparent contradiction should arise in any crisis, it is the Will that
will guide us aright.

Lo, while in The Book of the Law is much of Love, there is no word of Sentimentality. Hate itself is almost like Love! “As brothers fight ye!” All the manly races of the world understand this. The Love of Liber Legis is always bold, virile, even orgiastic. There is delicacy, but it is the delicacy of strength. Mighty and terrible and glorious as it is, however, it is but the pennon upon the sa- cred lance of Will, the damascened inscription upon the swords of the Knight-monks of The- lema.

Love is the law, love under will.

GreyGhost

LBRP question

hi all - im new to the forum, and not exactly sure where to ask this, but this thread seemed to be as good as any. (if there's a better way/place to post, please just let me know and i'm happy to oblige).

this may be a silly question, but during the LBRP, when one is visualizing the archangels... should they be visualized within, or just outside the pentagrammic circle? and further.. facing toward the practicioner (as in establishing a rapport), or facing away as in protecting?

i tend to think a) within, as althought it's not meant to be a purely elemental ritual, there is a cleansing within the circle that serves to act as the platform for whatever is to be done.. in this case, invite in those energies, and b) facing toward the practicioner, as the pentagrams and god-names themselves do all the warding off of baddies necessary, and the goal is (maybe?) to more connect with those AAs.

any thoughts/explanations/expositions welcome.

thanks!!

ravenest

On one level it makes little difference as long as one is 'before' you, one behind you , etc.

But then again, my 'circle boundary' is pretty undefined ... thinking back to when I required a well defined defensive boundary .... (hmm , hard to do :) ) .... < thinks old style > yes, they were on the outside and facing outwards. A bit like the angel set with a flaming sword at the entrance to Eden.

One important thing IMO is straight after the angels are declared to be about one , one then says "For about me flame the pentagrams ... " in a way, they are the same thing, for many of us we need to 'personalise' a force to be able to communicate and relate to it (hence 'possessions' and 'multiple personalities', etc. ) An angel , in this case, can be seen as a personalisation of the pentagram, and the pentagram as a symbol of that angel.

Zephyros

Great name, by the way. Does it come from Batman's Grey Ghost?

Frater Benedict

Hi All

I have been practicing on LBRP recently, and just wondering if there are anything to watch out for, or any advice in performing or theoretical aspect of the ritual.

Thanks.

I recommend you to discuss this with your study directors in the GD jurisdiction you belong to.

If you do not belong to a GD jurisdiction (I don't), I believe it is unwise to force oneself into an egregore you don't belong to. The visualisation part of the LRP only makes sense for someone who is initiated into the Neophyte degree in a GD jurisdiction, or a daughter order thereof.

Exactly in order to avoid dabbling in an egregore I don't belong to, I invented personal banishing and invoking rituals many years ago. It has worked for me.

Tanga

I recommend you to discuss this with your study directors in the GD jurisdiction you belong to.

If you do not belong to a GD jurisdiction (I don't), I believe it is unwise to force oneself into an egregore you don't belong to. The visualisation part of the LRP only makes sense for someone who is initiated into the Neophyte degree in a GD jurisdiction, or a daughter order thereof.

Exactly in order to avoid dabbling in an egregore I don't belong to, I invented personal banishing and invoking rituals many years ago. It has worked for me.

I would agree Frater Benedict. However - if one is Solitary (i.e. not attached to a particular group), sometimes, one needs somewhere to start - using other formats that one is particularly attracted to - before one can then grow into settling on one's own inventions.
(Says the now Solitary - initiated Alexandrian Wiccan).
And reading and experimenting in a vacuum does not suit everybody's learning process.

Seekers are asking here, I would imagine - because they have no GD elders - or other flesh-and-bone knowledgeable people to ask where they are.
In my case I am fortunate - if I wish to delve into this practice I can wait for the next LBRP workshop evening being run at the local esoteric bookshop, and ask all these questions to the workshop facilitator there (Central London, UK).

:)

Frater Benedict

I would agree Frater Benedict. However - if one is Solitary (i.e. not attached to a particular group), sometimes, one needs somewhere to start - using other formats that one is particularly attracted to - before one can then grow into settling on one's own inventions.
(Says the now Solitary - initiated Alexandrian Wiccan).
And reading and experimenting in a vacuum does not suit everybody's learning process.

Seekers are asking here, I would imagine - because they have no GD elders - or other flesh-and-bone knowledgeable people to ask where they are.
In my case I am fortunate - if I wish to delve into this practice I can wait for the next LBRP workshop evening being run at the local esoteric bookshop, and ask all these questions to the workshop facilitator there (Central London, UK).

:)

Peregrin Wildoak is of the opinion that some of the beneficial effects of an initiation and the following continuous use of the LRP could be achieved to a certain extent by a non-initiate consciously willing to work within the GD egregore. I especially recommend P. Wildoak: 'By names and images' p. 69-89 and Nick Farrell: 'Magical imagination': p. 193-204.

If someone is not willing to consciously work within the GD egregore, steps to constructing a personal ritual (suited for one's own beliefs and preferred symbolic paradigm) is offered on the website of Ancient Order of Druids in America:
http://aoda.org/Articles/The_Sphere_of_Protection.html

I am not sure, if I have understood the views of the original poster correctly, but if (s)he is attracted by Thelema , the new magical religion of Aleister Crowley (or if another reader is), the Star Ruby Ritual could be something to consider (I am not a Thelemite myself, but to each their own):
http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/lib25.htm

ravenest

hang on !

did someone suggest that a curious person should not start off with an LBR unless there is some GD connection and a reference to difficulty (?) in attracting its egregore

and then

suggest if someone is attracted to 'Crowley's religion' consider a 'star ruby ' ? :bugeyed:

" APO PANTOS KAKODAIMONOS ! " .... substitute the earth grounding feet centre with the sex organs ... understand what invoking their ' Daemones' is .... recite ; PRO MOU YUNGES OPISÔ MOU TELETARChAI EPI DEXIA SUNOChEIS EPARISTERA AIMONES PhLEGEI GAR PERI MOU hO ASTÊR TÔN PENTE KAI EN TÊI STÊLÊI hO ASTÊR TÔN hEX hESTÊKE .... pick up the old version and start invoking Chaos ( before an one has an understanding of what is meant by that ) and ......

By all means IMO start with the LBR, especially if one has any sort of background or influence around one of the western religious 'Abrahamic' traditions.

Crowley, much more than the GD , would advocate one developing their own AFTER a solid grounding in the basic principles and 'laws' of such an 'operation ' .. to quote him :

" sometimes, one needs somewhere to start - using other formats that one is particularly attracted to - before one can then grow into settling on one's own inventions. "

:) ... well, some one wrote that somewhere.

also

" reading and experimenting in a vacuum " or ... 'just making it up as you go along' ... where is the balance going to come from ? Usually we are attracted to what we like and pleasant experience that just draws us to one side or POV, without any direction, one gets easily out of balance due to one's prejudices ... otherwise I would still be floppin around in the ocean. Or stuck in the world of youtube aliens and conspiracy theories.

learn how to ride the bike ... and THEN try a 'trick'.

Important in such practices, or, potentially ; " otherwise he will be the slave of illusion, and the prey of madness "

and

" ... and the student lose control, the result is insanity, obsession, fanaticism, or paralysis and death (add addiction to gossip and incurable idleness), according to the nature of the failure."

- the internet is full of 'em - insane, obsessive fanatical groups with their followers flippin and floppin all over the place (see 'The Wondrous World of Chi Power ' , 'Badshah Noori' 'benny Hinn' etc etc ad infinitum . )

Tanga

(add addiction to gossip and incurable idleness)...

??? No!!! :eek: <runs screaming from the room>
(after watching 'The Wondrous World of Chi Power ', 'Badshah Noori' and 'benny Hinn')

:joke: